1976 18x48 Ouachita Jon conversion, Pictures are back!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah carpet and glue all of it came from HD. Should be able to get it anywhere that deals with carpet, Roberts is one of most popular brands when it comes to carpet supplies.

Codeman said:
Yep its just the .49 a square foot carpet from HD. My 14' v bottom has had it in it for quite a while even before I got it and it sat outside unprotected forever and has held up well. So I had no reservations using it in this boat.

Thats actually suprising, because I wasn't at all satisfied with the same stuff, but it black. I think the issue is that once the fibers start to break down on black, the worn part shows up a lot more. But if you're saying the grey has held up, I'll take your word on that. Something tells me grey doesn't show flaws as much. Which is great, cause I'm cutting costs where ever possible!

Like the way you did the hatch cover...rest of the boat looks great too. =D>
p.s. my little girl had some as we say stubborn baby teeth? I hated that visite to the oral surgon :(

wolfmjc said:
Like the way you did the hatch cover...rest of the boat looks great too. =D>
p.s. my little girl had some as we say stubborn baby teeth? I hated that visite to the oral surgon :(

Thanks. Our dentist says she is fine for now, but that has been my fear of having to help them.

hope everything works out for her, we will be seeing the brace man if you know what i mean $$$$$ lol.
how long from the front did you make your deck? like having room for a seat and trolling foot control?

Right now its 48". And as you can see the seat base is towards the rear of that. That being said I'm not done. There will be another 20 inches or so behind that. It will be covered all the way back to the front seat and will be a hatch for storage.

Ok back to it. Trying to get the back DONE for this weekends Polar Bear run on the Current river. I've been trying to figure out how to build a nice solid yet light hatch cover here is what I decided on. Cut several 2" strips and then notched everything to interlock and then I screwed it all together through the deck, feels very solid and gained very little weight.

P2030141.jpg

P2030142.jpg

Now I just have to figure out the hinges and carpet.

P2030146.jpg

P2030138.jpg

dyeguy1212 said:
Very cool rear hatch

Thanks, I almost relented and used steel to brace it just due to the fact of wanting it nice and sturdy in case my big butt steps in the middle of it. But I gave it some thought and decided that this would work too. It wasn't as tough to do as I thought it would be, just took some time to cut and chisel all of the notches.

S&MFISH said:
Hey codeman.Your rig is starting to take a real nice shape to it.Keep up the good work,man.Maybe some day I'll run into you down at Wapp. and get to see it in person.

Its been froze over, I haven't been on the water since the end of October. :( Can't wait for warm weather.

Your welding has come a long ways since that first bead.

That boat is looking good!

How hard was it to modify the clarke to weld aluminum? Did you have to put new rollers in?

Well I took the day off and finishing this deck was one of my goals. I met that goal today and I'm dang proud of the way it turned out. Gonna got get it wet hopefully Sunday. Hope I don't freeze to death. Might be makin' snow cones with the jet. :wink:

Pics of course.

P2050153.jpg

P2050154.jpg

P2050155.jpg

P2050159.jpg

Solid as a rock. I do think I need a landing/ledge in the right rear corner to support the outside edge of the lid. The lid itself does not give any and it stayed very light.

Hey Code, I wasn't talking about this weekend or next.LOL. Mine's in the garage now and not coming out until warmmer days.I don't mind the cold,but I'm don't think it is much of an "Ice Breaker". Not to be a know it all,but now that you have decked the fuel storage area ,doesn't it HAVE to be Vented.Just asking because I don't know one way or another.

I would think the notch in the middle around the transom support would be plenty enough of a vent. Just my thinking though.

S&MFISH said:
Hey Code, I wasn't talking about this weekend or next.LOL. Mine's in the garage now and not coming out until warmmer days.I don't mind the cold,but I'm don't think it is much of an "Ice Breaker". Not to be a know it all,but now that you have decked the fuel storage area ,doesn't it HAVE to be Vented.Just asking because I don't know one way or another.

Latest posts