1976 18x48 Ouachita Jon conversion, Pictures are back!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put it in the water on Sunday and went for a ride.

P2070007.jpg

And in case you were wondering, yes it was COLD.

P2070010.jpg

Wow been a while since any kind of update mainly because I was chasing a ghost problem with my motor. When I had it on the river in Feb it had a bad miss that just got worse and worse. Well I finally chased that to a bad coil that was grounding itself to the block and dropping fire. Fixed that and it lasted one trip and the miss came back :( . It got much worse this time and would not run at full throttle. After a little more chasing I found that it could be the stator. Being cheap and broke I started hunting for a used one, goes against my rules of using used electrical parts but scoring a stator for $20 shipped to my door and a 30 warranty, what the hey. Got it all back together yesterday and hit the lake. Runs better than ever nice and smooth and with a full tank of gas and just me I got 24mph out of it on moderately rough water. So now just a little more carpet work to do and I think I'll wait to make it look pretty on the outside till next winter.

Got a new tow rig and since I don't like to do posts without pics, here is my birthday present from my wife. :mrgreen:

IMG_8478%20copy.jpg

The box is an old Mercury piece that originally had the key switch and choke button in it. I modified it and put a kill lanyard and a new generic push to choke ignition switch in it. Welded a plate on my knee brace and mounted it. Worked out great right there.

The rear deck hinges? The lid is bolted through and is double thickness of the plywood. THe hinges are on top of the lid and carpeted over. The bottom half is vertical and screwed into the riser I built which is a 2x6. Shouldn't go anywhere.

S&MFISH said:
Not to be a know it all,but now that you have decked the fuel storage area ,doesn't it HAVE to be Vented.Just asking because I don't know one way or another.

Just to touch back on this, I've had it out several times since the weather has gotten good and warm and not once have I noticed gas fumes when opening the hatch. So I guess the notch is plenty of ventilation.

I have not done much else to it since my last update, just been keeping it in the water as much as possible. I am however already craving a bigger motor. LOL

What you see is what you get. LOL I have no idea when I will get back to finishing the insides. It fishes great, and I used it a lot this year. Since I found out my wife was sick in Sept. it hasn't been out since. :| I considered finishing it and selling. Just haven't had time to mess with it. I hope get it wet in the next week or 2 to make sure she will run ok for the Polar Bear run coming up next month. I will be doing that.

Amazing once a project gets to that point its completely usable how things get neglected. LOL I still need to paint this old girl, but the paint won't make it perform any better. I was just happy this summer to be able to run up and down the river and have a good time with my family. Hopefully get a little fishing done here shortly. Glad I got over the urge to sell last winter.

i-MvmhT7h-L.jpg

Proudly flying the Tinboats sticker. :wink:
i-BcLMS57-L.jpg

I know the pictures were gone from this thread for a while, sorry about that, I hate broken photo links. :? They were transferred from one host to another and something was lost in between. But all is well now.

I like this boat here,it reminds me of myboat but my is a 1648 square nose jon.I removed the midle bench seat so my boat will be open from the back of the front deck to the start of the back deck,it equills 8 feet of open.I once thought the modified V or pointee nosed jons were more handsome over the square nose jons but i has changed my mind on that now.I am now wondering why they evin make pointee nosed jons?Square nosed jons are far more handsome and they give more room up front on the deck =D>

Man I got the same boat, except it is 3 years newer. I would like to see the pictures from the start.

Well, its only been 6 years since I updated this. LOL The old girl has seen some serious river use in that time frame.

Getting ready to gut at least the rear for rebuild #2. The plywood has finally given up (front deck is still perfect), it will be aluminum framed and decked this time. I'll try and update as it goes.
9edc6206dc23dfd7b71a105eab4b866a.jpg
3f190b0059bef984d316ce814390b6e2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Love seeing the life cycle of some of the earlier projects posted on this forum. Did it ever get painted? Keep us updated on round two!

Little additional update, wound up changing out my impeller, apparently had a very old inefficient design in it. Boat picked up considerably afterwards. Light load, my 12 year old son and me in the boat I have clocked it at 30mph down stream. Not bad for antique equipment.
3e47ade7ddc955d89d0169b3062971af.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk