1977 Johnson 35 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4203

Reaction score
1977 johnson 35 hp tiller pull start motor

Has a rough time starting hot or cold i have been looking for info and came up with

1 worn or miss adjusted carb float
2 carb needs cleaned and/or rebuilt
3 loss of fuel pressure
(i have read you need only to pump primmer bulb for the first start of the day and it shouldnt need to be pumped again is this correct?and can you flood the motor pumping the primmer on the hose)

its getting fuel & spark and runs great once started
need to do a compression test on it still

this is a new to us motor we picked up off CL

any suggestions would be highly appreciated

No you should not be able to flood the engine by pumping the hose that comes out of the gas tank. When pumping the fuel bulb it should fill the carb float bowl but not let fuel pass into the intake, the float and needle seat should stop that from happening.

If the motor sits for an hour or so (depending on the temp outside it could be 20min) you will have to re-prime the engine sometimes. Each motor tends to have its own little quirks, especially after 30+yrs of other people fiddling with them.

Start with option number 2 that you posted (Carb rebuild). This will also fix option 1 you posted. Once you have cleaned and rebuild the carb then you can go from there. Take your time and do the carb correctly or you will not accomplish anything. Also replacing all the fuel lines is another GOOD idea, especially if they are original. Replace the lines, pump fuel through to clean system and then install newly rebuild carb. I run gapless NGK spark plugs that seem to really help cold starting issues with these motors. I can't remember what I am running off hand but if you are interested I will get the exact plug number for you.

Latest posts