2 Fish Finders On 1 Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJFyieuyma55o5iA4x2Cqmg and
This may be overkill but I had a Garmin Striker 4 that I use to use and this year purchased a Garmin Striker 7 Vivid which I installed but have not had a chance to use due to health reasons. So my question is I have the mount on the rear of the boat where I sit but was wondering can I install the 4 on the front of the boat so my buddy, when fishing with me can use that at the same time I am using the 7. Im not interested in connecting them together, just separate. I didn't know if they would interfere with the reading of each other. The boats they are used on are a 14 ft jon and a 10 ft plastic pontoon type boat. Thanks for any advice.

I have saw some folks use a clamp on transducer on the front and the main transducer on the rear. When you get to your spot, the guy in front just clamps on his in front then each person has there own unit to find fish. Don't know how far apart they " need" to be, but front and back in a 12' jon shoukd be no problem..

If you mount the transducer on the opposite side of the boat from the first one, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Try it and let us know. That's actually a good idea.
The transducer would be opposite side being front and rear and I do know that the transducers are different. So I was thinking it would be possible. I think Im going to give it a shot. Give me something to do over the winter. I figured if it did work it would be a plus for sure.

I have saw some folks use a clamp on transducer on the front and the main transducer on the rear. When you get to your spot, the guy in front just clamps on his in front then each person has there own unit to find fish. Don't know how far apart they " need" to be, but front and back in a 12' jon shoukd be no problem..
At this time I use the same Garmin for both boats. I have it wired so I can easily switch them back and forth so I would for sure do the front the same way. I would just need to get another Scotty transducer holder which is pretty cheap. The 10 foot is the one I was really worried about but I do know that the transducer themselves are different types so it may work. Think I will give it a shot.

See what the frequency of the 'ducers is. Some will be 83kHz, others will be more. If different, they will definitely work, but even if the same, they should work.

I've used transducers of the SAME kHz side by side, and had them work, one being Garmin, the other Lowrance. Sometimes, one would get scrambled, and I would turn it off and back on, and it would still work.

I suspect you will be fine either way.

I have on old [NIB] Hummingbird I bought off someone who had it sitting on a shelf for years 'cause his son bought him a better one' so I gladly paid $15.00 and mounted it on the bottom of my trolling motor.

A year later I found a Tohatsu and realized I couldn't use the old [monchrome screen] unit when travelling with the outboard so I added a cheap Lowrance with color and GPS to the rear and mounted it on the other side from the trolling motor on the transom.

I leave this on when sitting up front using the trolling motor with no interfearance.

14' and the front unit on the MinKota is a couple feet lower than the transom.

Thanks for the input. I was talking to my wife about possibly doing this next weekend and she suggested I email Garmin. Thought never even crossed my mind, so I did and 2 days later got a email from them telling me that I shouldn't have any issues doing that. So hopefully will get that done here soon.

Latest posts