20hp Suzuki - prop brand recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Afloat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m picking up a newer (used) Suzuki 20A. It’s actually a 9.9b converted to the 20a. This has the 20hp ECM and the restrictor plate was replaced with a spark arrestor. I’m comfortable with the conversion and the motor runs fine. It looks and feels new.

The only issue that I could find is the prop. The prop looks new but, it‘s the original 4 blade 10 - 5 prop that ships with a new 9.9b. Suzuki recommends a 3 blade 9.25 - 9 for the 20 hp, 20A model. I was planning to stick with recommended prop sizing. My question to the forum is; What propellor brands should I look for and what brands to avoid?

For reference: The boat is a new Lowe 1448M that I’ll rig with aluminum decking, pods, Terrova and LiFe batteries this winter. I’m trying to keep the boat as light as possible. The pods are needed for the other motor, a Mercury F25 Jet which weighs almost twice as much as the Suzuki. The Mercury jet is for rivers and the Suzuki for is lakes. Having both motors will provide the most versatility and I don’t have to deal with a noisy jet OB when it isn’t needed.

Thanks. The Solas were popping up on some searches but, I have no experience with them.

I expect that it won’t over rev with the 10 - 5 four blade that’s on it. It would probably have great hole shots but, the top end speed would not be optimal.

Just in case anyone is interested. I ran the 1448M today with th Suzuki DA9.9/20. The boat was pretty much bare bones and it was running a 3-blade 9-1/4 x 9. It was hitting the rev limiter (about 6350 rpm) at 3/4 or less throttle with a max speed of 23mph.

I wanted to try a Solas Amiya 3, 9-1/4 x 11 3-blade on the same trip but, Amazon sent me a Honda prop and the splines don’t match. I think the 11” will be fine when alone and a 10” with extra people. Will visit the local prop shop next week. Things will change as well once the boat is rigged out.

Well, I tested a Solas 9-1/4 x 10 yesterday. The RPM drop was greater than expected. At WOT it was running 6100 - 6150 rpm at 26 to 27 mph. The lake was smooth to a little ripple.

I expected a couple hundred more RPM. I’m not going to need the 11” prop if I stick with Solas.