20hp Suzuki - prop brand recommendations

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still Afloat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m picking up a newer (used) Suzuki 20A. It’s actually a 9.9b converted to the 20a. This has the 20hp ECM and the restrictor plate was replaced with a spark arrestor. I’m comfortable with the conversion and the motor runs fine. It looks and feels new.

The only issue that I could find is the prop. The prop looks new but, it‘s the original 4 blade 10 - 5 prop that ships with a new 9.9b. Suzuki recommends a 3 blade 9.25 - 9 for the 20 hp, 20A model. I was planning to stick with recommended prop sizing. My question to the forum is; What propellor brands should I look for and what brands to avoid?

For reference: The boat is a new Lowe 1448M that I’ll rig with aluminum decking, pods, Terrova and LiFe batteries this winter. I’m trying to keep the boat as light as possible. The pods are needed for the other motor, a Mercury F25 Jet which weighs almost twice as much as the Suzuki. The Mercury jet is for rivers and the Suzuki for is lakes. Having both motors will provide the most versatility and I don’t have to deal with a noisy jet OB when it isn’t needed.

I've had good luck on small outboards with Solas aluminum props. I'd run it with the prop you have now to get an rpm reading and you'll know which prop to get.

Thanks. The Solas were popping up on some searches but, I have no experience with them.

I expect that it won’t over rev with the 10 - 5 four blade that’s on it. It would probably have great hole shots but, the top end speed would not be optimal.

Just in case anyone is interested. I ran the 1448M today with th Suzuki DA9.9/20. The boat was pretty much bare bones and it was running a 3-blade 9-1/4 x 9. It was hitting the rev limiter (about 6350 rpm) at 3/4 or less throttle with a max speed of 23mph.

I wanted to try a Solas Amiya 3, 9-1/4 x 11 3-blade on the same trip but, Amazon sent me a Honda prop and the splines don’t match. I think the 11” will be fine when alone and a 10” with extra people. Will visit the local prop shop next week. Things will change as well once the boat is rigged out.

Well, I tested a Solas 9-1/4 x 10 yesterday. The RPM drop was greater than expected. At WOT it was running 6100 - 6150 rpm at 26 to 27 mph. The lake was smooth to a little ripple.

I expected a couple hundred more RPM. I’m not going to need the 11” prop if I stick with Solas.

I’m currently using the solas 9.25x12 on my converted DF9.9 to 20HP. I’m getting 29mph on glass and about 32 on chop. If you’re loaded with passengers, I would recommend the 11 pitch.

I’m currently using the solas 9.25x12 on my converted DF9.9 to 20HP. I’m getting 29mph on glass and about 32 on chop. If you’re loaded with passengers, I would recommend the 11 pitch.
I didn’t see that kind of performance but, I haven’t experimented much with motor height.

If you don’t mind; What’s the rpm at WOT and what are the boat specs? (Length, weight, hull type.). Anything special about the configuration like a Jack plate?

Last edited:
Thanks, Dale. I checked out Turning Point last week based on a recommendation in another thread. They look good to me and I like their prop pitch exchange program. I’m considering their Hustler 9x10 or 9x11 three blade for the 20hp Suzuki to compare with Solas 9-1/4 x 10.

The Lowe 1448M is still in the project stage. Had to focus on other things this summer but, I plan to wrap it up this winter.

I’m also looking at Turning Point SS props for a larger boat (North River Mariner, 18ft/115hp) with a hole shot problem. This boat is heavy and it seems a bit underpowered with the 115. I bought it used and it came with a cheap generic prop. I want to try a good SS prop before making a decision if repowering with a 150hp is necessary.

I didn’t see that kind of performance but, I haven’t experimented much with motor height.

If you don’t mind; What’s the rpm at WOT and what are the boat specs? (Length, weight, hull type.). Anything special about the configuration like a Jack plate?
1436 Tracker, minimal decking, On the Fly Jack Plate.

I’m between 6200 and 6250 with the 11 pitch at 29mph and 6000-6050 at 32 mph with the 12 pitch

Thanks, Dale. I checked out Turning Point last week based on a recommendation in another thread. They look good to me and I like their prop pitch exchange program. I’m considering their Hustler 9x10 or 9x11 three blade for the 20hp Suzuki to compare with Solas 9-1/4 x 10.

The Lowe 1448M is still in the project stage. Had to focus on other things this summer but, I plan to wrap it up this winter.

I’m also looking at Turning Point SS props for a larger boat (North River Mariner, 18ft/115hp) with a hole shot problem. This boat is heavy and it seems a bit underpowered with the 115. I bought it used and it came with a cheap generic prop. I want to try a good SS prop before making a decision if repowering with a 150hp is necessary.
See if they have a 4-blade for that 115, you won’t have a blazing fast WOT, but otherwise the hole shot & all-around performance can be awesome!

Make sure that OB is not mounted too deep!!!!! That kills a boat’s performance almost as much as wearing the wrong pitch prop! Less where too steep a pitch WILL KILL the engine.

See if they have a 4-blade for that 115, you won’t have a blazing fast WOT, but otherwise the hole shot & all-around performance can be awesome!

Make sure that OB is not mounted too deep!!!!! That kills a boat’s performance almost as much as wearing the wrong pitch prop! Less where too steep a pitch WILL KILL the engine.
The four blade SS may very well be the way to go. I’m also open to raising the motor at bit to see if changes anything.

With the current cheap 3-blade the RPM IS Ok at WOT. At hole shot the motor has to be trimmed all the way forward or the prop will lose its bite. Once on plane if trim back a “normal” amount the boat tends to porpoise very easily. So there are some set-up issues.

Latest posts