50+ inches too big?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysail

Reaction score
I've been looking for a bow mount trolling motor, and have been coming across shafts that are I think 54 inches. Is that too long to deal with on a 1436? I did the measurements and all I think I need is a 36 inch

The shortest bow mount they make I believe is 48". I just bought a 54" (because it was such a smokin price) for my 14ft boat and I knew it was going to be longer than I needed but it really is not as bad as I thought. It does set almost 30" below the water line when all the way down but if I go into shallow water of less than 5 feet I just raise it up.

I could have gotten away with a 42" probably but I do not think they make them that short.

With electric drive bow mounts, 48" is about the shortest they come. Cable steers I think you can get a little shorter. As mentioned, if you have room to store it, generally not an issue. While I haven't done it, if you have to, cutting the shaft down doesn't appear to be a big problem.

skysail said:
I've been looking for a bow mount trolling motor, and have been coming across shafts that are I think 54 inches. Is that too long to deal with on a 1436? I did the measurements and all I think I need is a 36 inch

I have a 36" MinnKota Edge bow mount, 45 lb thrust. Worked great on my 1440 and is now on my 1470, no issues. Doesn't take up too much room when stored and sits at the proper level when deployed, not too deep and won't lift out if wavy.

Johny25 said:
It does set almost 30" below the water line when all the way down but if I go into shallow water of less than 5 feet I just raise it up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The bow-mounted TM on my 1448 mod-v is 48" long...it seems the perfect size to me...I like having the head of the motor high enough so I can see it when I'm steering. I keep the prop about 12" below the water-line.

Latest posts