52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:beer: looking awesome! Considered making your own flag pole replacement? What size is the bore that is in the bow light?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315439#p315439 said:
DOBSONFLY » Today, 21:08[/url]"]:beer: looking awesome! Considered making your own flag pole replacement? What size is the bore that is in the bow light?
Yea, actually have thought about it. The local building supply store has wooden dowels up to 1" in diameter and I'm seriously thinking about swiping the wooden knob off my charcoal grill LOL :shock:

Hey Folks, I'm looking for the center cap that goes on my steering wheel. I've discovered that it is a Nautalloy Steering Wheel from 1959. I knew it was not original to the boat, although it was part of the purchase deal. I do like it better than the original for a couple of reasons, one, it just plain looks better and two, I'm a big guy and the way it mounts gives me more room under the steering wheel. Anyway, I would love to find an original center cap for it. Here's a couple pictures.
Nautalloyb59003.jpg
wc4.jpg
Maybe someone has seen or has one for sale.

Yeah heck looks like you can buy a new setup for under $20.... :lol: hope you are able to locate one.

My windshield got finished Friday! If you remember, I made a patten from a piece of flexible wall board. I sent that pattern to a glass co. in town and they cut and finished the edges using my pattern. I was going to do this myself, but they did it for $58.85. I could not even get a scrap piece of 1/4 tented plexiglass for that, so it was the best thing to do. Here's how it turned out.

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

Okay, I'm sure some of you noticed that RED knob, and yes I now have my controls reworked and installed. I took the little simplex apart and bead blasted the housing (after taping up the name plate) and shifter handles, painted the knobs and just put clear on the housing. Then lubed everything up good and put it all back together. Works as smooth as a new one, cables and all!

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

I also took these shots because I just thought it was a neat angle. One shot really shows the inward rake of the gunnels towards the inside as it gets close to the transom. That's one reason why I like this little boat so much, and why, even though I need another boat like the proverbial hole in the head, I'd love to add a Feather Craft to my fleet.

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.JPG

DSC00094.jpg

Time for the wiring of the lights, ignition switch and solenoid box. I've been trying to change the flywheel on my little 88 Johnson 25hp to an electric start flywheel with the ring gear. Can't get the original one off. Any tricks you guys can think of? I've soaked the shaft with BP Blaster for a week and bumped the end of my puller with a hammer and it will not budge. I was told not to use heat due to the electronics under and around the flywheel.

When I worked at Fastenal, I recall this product by CRC came out.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/produc...earch&rfqXref=&rfqKeyword=&rfqId=&rfqLineId=

You can get a better price at your local wally, HD, or favorite auto parts place unless you are on account with the blue group.

I never have tried it yet but have always wondered how well it would work. Also is it the ring gear that is stuck or the flywheel to the crank? :?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317269#p317269 said:
DOBSONFLY » Yesterday, 23:09[/url]"]When I worked at Fastenal, I recall this product by CRC came out.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/produc...earch&rfqXref=&rfqKeyword=&rfqId=&rfqLineId=

You can get a better price at your local wally, HD, or favorite auto parts place unless you are on account with the blue group.

I never have tried it yet but have always wondered how well it would work. Also is it the ring gear that is stuck or the flywheel to the crank? :?

I'm willing to try any product that might turn it loose, so thanks for the tip. It is the flywheel to the crank that is stuck, it doesn't have a ring gear, YET! LOL :) There is no place for a ring gear on this flywheel, so I purchased a flywheel with the ring gear on it thinking it would be a simple swap. Oh well on that. I tried prying up on the flywheel with a bar while the puller was installed and at the same time bumping the end of the puller bolt with a hammer (I had to have help with this, I'm good, but not that good LOL too few hands for all that) anyway, this thing just won't budge! I'm thinking about drilling some holes close to the crankshaft on both sides of the flywheel and then trying to crack the flywheel with a chisel to loosen it's grip some. I really don't care if I trash the old flywheel because if I ever wind up needing one without a ring gear on it (or even a place for a ring gear on it) I can pick up another one pretty cheep on E-Bay.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317272#p317272 said:
DOBSONFLY » Yesterday, 23:36[/url]"]I am still hooked on your build this is a classic I love it!

Thanks Man!

Okay, finally got it! WooHoo!!! after braking several 1/4" bolts I drilled out the holes and re-tapped to 5/16" I was then able to put full force of my 1/2" drive impact wrench on the puller and tap the edges of the flywheel, just hard enough to "ring it's bell" with all this pressure applied and it finally popped loose! Electric start coming soon :mrgreen:

You may have inspired me, I found a 1961 Arkansas Traveler Runabout with a trailer for the right price.... guy I work with has this with the original title to both the trailer and the boat. His dad bought them new in 1961, and my coworker is in his 60s now. Told me he and his brother would ski behind this until they were out of high school.

Attachments

• IMG-20130625-00212.jpg
    IMG-20130625-00212.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 1,038
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320183#p320183 said:
DOBSONFLY » Today, 20:58[/url]"]You may have inspired me, I found a 1961 Arkansas Traveler Runabout with a trailer for the right price.... guy I work with has this with the original title to both the trailer and the boat. His dad bought them new in 1961, and my coworker is in his 60s now. Told me he and his brother would ski behind this until they were out of high school.
Wow, thats a nice one! A/Ts are great, well built boats. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Man, let me tell you....The boat sits in the corner of my shop where I make my living, so I see it most everyday. I have been so busy with "money making" work, that I have not been able to do much to it. I did cut a piece of aluminum for the backrest of the front bench that will have vinyl covered padding. I also purchased an impeller and fuel pump repair kit for the motor, but haven't had time to install them. As for the electric start, I'm still trying to round up the starter bracket at a decent price. I plan on buying a new starter. The relay and wiring are things that are common around the shop so they won't be a problem. The bracket is the hold up on that. Oh.... and I hung my Duracraft pennant flag.

26-06-13_0805.jpg

26-06-13_0806.jpg

26-06-13_0807.jpg