52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duplicolor trunk splatter paint (Grey) from most any parts store chains. It looked like what was original to the boat. I have also restored classic cars in the past so I recognized the look and feel right off the bat. It would make since that they would have used it inside open boats because they would have seen it in their car trunks and seen first hand the durability. It is what just about all car manufactures used back then and is extremely durable. Just be sure to get all dirt and oils cleaned off and it will stick great and it dries really hard. I even used it on the dash.

Yeah looks great on it, and prime or no prime? I got mine picked up today by the way!

Looking forward to more pictures of yours! I did not use a primer because there was already a solid coat in it. I just wanted to freshin' it up. Washed it out good, just a little bit of Dawn to help cut the dirt, not too soapy, then let it air dray in the shop for a couple days. I wiped down the surface with acetone to be sure it didn't have any oils left behind to keep it from sticking then blew it out with the air hose. I did put primer on the dash since I had taken it down to bare aluminum, used the same primer I used on the hull.

About to start in on the same boat with my dad. The boat has been in the family since 1955 and was used up to the mid 90's where it was just forgotten. Glad to see this post it's given me some insight.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,023
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    668.5 KB · Views: 1,023
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320620#p320620 said:
Wigley89 » Yesterday, 18:04[/url]"]About to start in on the same boat with my dad. The boat has been in the family since 1955 and was used up to the mid 90's where it was just forgotten. Glad to see this post it's given me some insight.
Hey,
That's great, can't wait to see more pictures! Did your family buy it new? I guess if you looked at all my pictures you saw that mine originally had the same paint scheme. That's just too cool. Please post plenty of pictures before you start, and of course, as you move along with the restore.

No new pictures to post, but I wanted to give an update on progress. I been working on my power plant, just basic stuff like water pump impeller, new seal behind the prop. and changing the foot oil. This is a little 1988 25hp Johnson that should push the DuraCraft just fine. The boat is only rated for a 25hp rated at the crank anyway and this year model is rated at the prop, so it's a little overrated anyway. As previously mentioned, I installed a flywheel with a ring gear for a starter to convert it to electric start. I'm looking for the starter bracket if anyone has a mid 80's to mid 90's 20hp to 35hp that they are scrapping out. Anyway, that's about it for now!

I'm torn...
This
$(KGrHqR,!r!FGUKkt,CLBRn(O11pi!~~60_57.JPG

Or this (cleaned up and repainted of course)
late_60s_Lamar_boat_003.jpg

or maybe this
$(KGrHqR,!r!FGUKkt,CLBRn(O11pi!~~60_58.jpg

This is what I'm really thinking about
$(KGrHqR,!r!FGUKkt,CLBRn(O11pi!~~60_59.jpg

Of course it's a lot easier to make this mod. on the computer LOL :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321835#p321835 said:
m casey stock » 10 Jul 2013, 09:59[/url]"] As previously mentioned, I installed a flywheel with a ring gear for a starter to convert it to electric start. I'm looking for the starter bracket if anyone has a mid 80's to mid 90's 20hp to 35hp that they are scrapping out. Anyway, that's about it for now!

Here check this out:
https://houston.craigslist.org/spo/3881625176.html
Its not to far from me so if I could help pm me.

I am a fan of photo 2 and photo 4, and down to it 4 over 2. I think they compliment the style better and are more period correct. That being said I wouldn't be disappointed seeing any of them on her! :wink:

Watching some windshield brackets on ebay right now same as yours I believe. UPD plastics will make me a window but they were definitely proud of them... where did you get your tinted plexy and how thick did you use?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=323857#p323857 said:
DOBSONFLY » Today, 15:28[/url]"]Watching some windshield brackets on ebay right now same as yours I believe. UPD plastics will make me a window but they were definitely proud of them... where did you get your tinted plexy and how thick did you use?

A local glass company had it in stock and used my pattern to cut by. It's 1/4'", as thick as would fit in the grooves in the brackets.

Okay, I have some old friends out there that haven't posted any progress! I understand that I am one of them, but I'm starting things off so I expect to see some new pictures from you all too!

I have been busy, the wiring is complete and neatly tucked away, ignition switch, horn button (although I have not found a place I like to mount my vintage trumpet horn, so the wiring is just stubbed and tucked away for now) lighting switch and safety kill switch are all installed. 88 Johnson 25 mounted to the rear with the electric start modification completed (yes the pull rope still works) I had to modify the cowl base plate to make the throttle work, but I think it turned out nicely. The battery box, relay box and fuel tank are all installed and I just mounted a fire extinguisher behind the front seat back. The seat cushions are being made but I just couldn't wait for them to take pictures and post an update (it will give me something to post later on) Anyway enough of my rattling on, here are the pictures!

20131030_130027.JPG

20131030_130039.JPG

20131030_130113.JPG

20131030_130126-1.JPG

20131030_130400-1.JPG

20131030_130450.JPG

20131030_130509.JPG

20131030_131736.JPG

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333529#p333529 said:
lucescoflathead » Today, 08:07[/url]"]All I can say is Wow! That is one sweet looking boat.
Thanks Man. I had never seen the boat with a motor on it and have owned it close to a couple years now. I know it needs to have one, but I had kinda gotten used to it without one so I'm having to adjust to it sticking up back there. To me it messes with the lines. I guess that's why those old inboards look so sleek.

=D>

Top notch clean quality craftsmanship. Again your build inspired me greatly. Speaking of which it, will be waiting until after our Kansas winter for me to start back on again. 8)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333833#p333833 said:
DOBSONFLY » 06 Nov 2013, 00:21[/url]"]=D>

Top notch clean quality craftsmanship. Again your build inspired me greatly. Speaking of which it, will be waiting until after our Kansas winter for me to start back on again. 8)

Thanks again, I look forward to updates on your progress come Spring.

Latest posts