6hp vs 9.9hp for a 1240 flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan

Reaction score
I have a Lund 1240 flat bottom jon boat. I currently use a 6.5hp mudskipper twister mud motor. I'm looking to get into an outboard. I'm having trouble deciding between a 6hp and a 9.9hp Mercury.I really want the 6hp but don't want to get it and wish I went with the bigger one. I like the cost, the size and the weight of the 6hp and the fact that it has an internal fuel tank. My concern with the 9.9 is the COST$$$, and the size. The 6 just seems more manageable. With my current mud motor I max out at 9mph. I'm not sure how fast I will be able to go with the 6hp outboard but if I can gain a couple extra mph I think I would be happy.

I had a 12x40 jon boat back in the early 90's, hung an Evinrude 9.9 on it and it flew !! 20 mph with two smaller adults, on calm water the flat btm just barely skimmed the surface. Is you boat rated for 9.9 ?? That was peak hp on mine and almost to much....

In my opinion, the 9.9 hp would be best. I have a Merc 9.9 on my 12 ft Jon and it works just right. I can't imagine a lower hp motor on this boat. It makes the boat plane out fairly fast with 2 people in it. A 6 would be struggling. An exterior fuel tank allows for more fuel for the longer trips, although the 9.9 hardly uses any gas at all.

I have personal experience with a 7.5 and a 9.9. The 7.5 was a single cyl and the 9.9 was a twin. If you are by yourself, assuming a normal size person the 6 might get it done for you. But the 9.9 will easily get it done. If you ever plan on going with 2 people, forget the 6. Even though a good 6 hp 1 cyl outboard can get you to 12mph it's not nearly as smooth as a twin.

Last edited:

Latest posts