72 Merc 110 9.8 Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well if I knew who who BassBoy was 4 years ago I probably would have bought a Johnyrude :D. My old merc 110 started having trouble today. It idled rougher than normal an then started choking out at speed. Well I started fooling with it and noticed the impeller wasnt working (It was working the day before). I immediately shut it down and limped back to shore with the trolling motor. When I got home I took the cover off the motor and noticed gas would leak out from behind the plastic choke/run piece when I tilted the motor forward. I pulled the fuel pump off in preparation to pull the carb out but chickened out because Ive never done it before. I dont have a manual and I figure I need to buy a carb kit before I start. Plus I should change the impeller first so I dont burn up the engine . Im assuming I should chase down the gas leak. And Im assuming its somewhere in the carb or is there something else that would leak gas through that plastic piece that moves to choke or run? Is there a Free manual or tutorial online that would help me or am I going to have to buy a manual or worse take it to a boat shop? Oh and this is my first post to tinboats. ive been devouring this site for about a month now. Thanks for any Help

Ok so, I got a new impeller from oldmercs.com. I removed the lower unit and with the help of a seloc manual replaced the impeller. I seated the drive key correctly on the driveshaft and with some trial and error got the impeller slid into place over the drive key. the impeller turned when i turned the driveshaft. I put the housing and everything back together. The lower unit slid right back into place. I was sure to fit the water tube into the water tube guide. When i tested the engine in a 50 gallon drum, being sure to have plenty of water over the water intake, there was no water peeing out of the motor. I tried in neutral, forward, and reverse and quickly shut it off. My next thought was that maybe a water tube was clogged. I used a pipe cleaner and checked the tube from the lower unit to the water pump. It was clear. So was the exit tube(not sure of proper name-the tube from the motor to where the water Pees). So the only tube left was the water tube-from the water pump to the motor. Of course its hard to get to. to check it I decided to send water down through the motor and out the water tube. When I poured water into the motor it came out but did not come out of the water tube. For my next test I took a straw and fit it into the water tube and blew air in to see if it would circulate. I could get some air through it but it was tough. Does this all add up to you guys as a clogged water tube or do you think I just messed up installing the impeller. I wondered if the water tube had something that prevented water going the wrong way through it. Cant find how to get to that water tube in the seloc manual. Any help would be much appreciated as Im no mechanic for sure.

OK first WELCOME
I to had a 110 merc.9.8 blue stripe when it ran it was great it was just getting it started that was problem . are you sure the impeller was no put in backwards. :?:

Im in West TN Caveman. I took everything apart and put it back together again and it worked! I dont know what I did differently the second time but Im not complaining. Now Im working on finding that gas leak from the carb. Ive got a carb rebuild kit that I got from oldmercs as well. I pulled the carb off and now Im reading up on how to take it apart, clean it, and put it back together with the new gaskets and what nots. WISH ME LUCK. Caveman, Ive never had trouble with my 9.8 starting. Its always been 2 pulls on choke and 2 pulls on run and she fires right up. Ive had to replace the fuel pump before and sometimes it falls into choke at full speed and you have to hold the handle, im gonna work on that. It sure looks rough though. Its very nasty with oil and gas residue when you pull the lid off. It had been leaking for a long while it looks like. Its my first outboard and im learning as I go. Ive had it for a few years and although I fish alot the motor is usually just idled do to no wake lake restrictions. It only gets run wide open a few times a year.

Latest posts