8" Wheel and Tires - Replace with 12"?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PSG-1 said:
I concur with bassboy on this one. For short trips, 8" tires are fine, as long as the weight load isn't exceeded.

But for long interstate trips, where the speeds are higher for extended periods, the 12 or 13 is a better choice.

I agree. Check the ratings on the sidewall for maximum MPH and weight. Some 8" tires are rated for 45 mph max and a lot of the boat trailer tires out there regardless of size are rated for 55 mph max. I have a hitch on my Honda Accord (etrailer.com). Towing at 55 mph vs 65 or 70 will add a lot of life to your automatic transmission especially in a civic.

barrynfla said:
Just bought a 12' Sears Gamefisher with 7.5 hp Johnson. Waiting for the hitch to be put on my '01 Civic. The trailer isn't in the greatest shape but looks pretty good. It has 8" wheels, the tires have good tread but the tires are pretty old and starting to dry rot. Just had a new valve stem put on one of them and the guy would only put in 35 psi. I know I'm gonna need new tires but not sure whether to just replace the 8" or switch to 12". Measured under the fender and I have about 3" or a bit more to play with so I think they would fit. I live in Tampa and the roads are flat and I don't plan on towing very far.......maybe 20-25 miles tops. Speed limits are about 60-65.

Opinions on keeping the 8" or switching to 12"?

Thanks!

Barry

With your set up ,I'd replace w/new 8" tires clean and repack bearings. Its not alot of weight so keep the smaller tire. The heavier the load ,the larger the tire............
I've got 8" on my trailer and run interstate speeds for hours. Yeah, I ran a dry rotted tire and it blew, but I'm a tight wad :mrgreen: Lesson learned.