9.5hp Evinrude Exhaust Leg Seal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I have a 1960's something Evinrude 9.5hp that had an exhaust leak. I broke it all the way down and then it sat in my shop for two years. I ran across the shift rod boot I had previously ordered so I pulled everything out and got to working on it again. I changed the boot no problem (old one was indeed split down the bellows). Now before re-assembling I'm unsure what to do about the seal around the exhaust leg. It seemed ok when I took it apart and it still seems somewhat pliable, although it is slightly deformed from storage.

Any suggestions for ways to treat the rubber to soften it back up? Or any ways to modify the seal such as adding a bead of silicon around it or something along those line to ensure it seals well with the clamshell? Would hate to reassemble this thing and then it leak there but at the same time not sure the motor's value justifies buying a new seal either.

And hopefully I can actually put this thing together. Was a pain getting it apart and re-assembly is always guaranteed to be worse.

Will, PM me your email address. I did get your PM and I can help you with a manual. I visit the forum once in a while.

Cajun

cajuncook1 said:

Will, PM me your email address. I did get your PM and I can help you with a manual. I visit the forum once in a while.

Cajun

Once in a GREAT while! Good to see you Cajun!
BTW - The p/n for that part is 312211 and has been unavailable for quite a while. Once in a while you can find one on Ebay.

cajuncook1 said:

Cajun

Glad to see you are still around! I sent you my email.

Pappy said:
cajuncook1 said:

Cajun

Once in a GREAT while! Good to see you Cajun!
BTW - The p/n for that part is 312211 and has been unavailable for quite a while. Once in a while you can find one on Ebay.

Pappy, NYMarine, makes the shift rod boot and I think they used to remanufacter the exhaust housing seal. I did not see on their listing, but it used to be there. I think there is another maker of the exhaust housing seal. I need to find it in my notes.

Good to hear from you Pappy, as well!!!!

Cajun

cajuncook1 said:
wmk0002 said:
I found a NOS one on Ebay. I'm assuming this is about as good of a deal as can be found on a non-used one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OMC-EV...0dd7867:g:h0AAAOSwft9at6ow&LH_ItemCondition=3

I would jump on that one Will.

Cajun

Missed that one but found another for $5 more. After that they are all well over $40. Once this comes in I will start reassembly. I may have some more questions later on.... I'm dreading reassembly lol.

Latest posts