A little help please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
As I said before, I’m new to forums. Any help about where and how to post will be greatly appreciated!
I have a 1979 14’ Gamefisher that I’ve had out once. Im more than excited to have a boat I can actually modify to my liking!
I have a couple questions to start with.
Can another drain plug be added lower in the boat? It’s not draining all the way even as high as my jack will go. Also should water be in the bow area as shown in pic?
IMG_2468.jpegIMG_2469.jpeg

Putting one lower in the transom isn't going to gain much and really would not help your situation. Putting one in the floor won't drain whatever water is sitting in the troughs made by the hull flukes (where the nut is in your pic). Ideally, water shouldn't sit anywhere inside the boat. Maybe a bilge pump to get the bulk out then sop up the rest? IDK.

Edited to say "would not" help

Last edited:
X2 on what LDUBS has posted....................................Remember it is a 1979 riveted boat and a (little bit) of water isnt a terrible thing..................................Where about in Central Oregon are you from? Only reason I ask is I have spent 30 years out your way off and on.

Boats that are stored outside typically have a little water in the bottom unless you have a good cover. Old alum boats can have some leaky rivets, there are fixes if your leaking alot. As far as another drain, there are drains you can add on the floor that might get a little more water out, but to get it 100% out, probably not unless you keep it inside.

X2 on what LDUBS has posted....................................Remember it is a 1979 riveted boat and a (little bit) of water isnt a terrible thing..................................Where about in Central Oregon are you from? Only reason I ask is I have spent 30 years out your way off and on.
I’m in the Bend area

Like my old boat water seepage is a normal thing so get yourself a tried and sure way of getting the water back where it's supposed to be by cutting an old plastic Clorox jug at an angle and make your self a cheap homemade baler. Works every time. Would not leave the dock without mine........:))

Putting one lower in the transom isn't going to gain much and really would not help your situation. Putting one in the floor won't drain whatever water is sitting in the troughs made by the hull flukes (where the nut is in your pic). Ideally, water shouldn't sit anywhere inside the boat. Maybe a bilge pump to get the bulk out then sop up the rest? IDK.

Edited to say "would not" help
I'm not in Central Oregon but I travel there frequently for fishing and bird shooting. I live in Oregon City. Have fun with your new project!