A newbie in need of advice... UPDATED! Got everything now!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kismet; haute,

Btw, my FDE12 Johnson 18HP ES outboard weighs exactly 83.5 pounds (the 15HP Johnny weighs about the same) & any similar 12-15 horse Johnnyrude, properly "trimmed-out", will send your 14ft LOWE across the lake at "an acceptable rate" & with ONE adult aboard it will "go like a streak".

NOTE: IF it was my boat, I'd look for/buy a 15HP GALE Model 15DL15B, as that OB has "certain improvements" that the Johnson & Evinrude did NOT have in 1963.
or
the Sea King Model GG-18802A
(That's the Montgomery Ward "clone" of the 15DL15B, except for NAME/COLOR.)

The GALE & SEA KING "often sell for" about 1/2 to 2/3 of the "usual price" for a Johnson/Evinrude, in the same condition, as "collectors" often see the GALE & SEA KING as "off-brand stuff".

To "haute": You may find that locating your 6-gallon gas tank FORWARD of the middle seat will make your boat "trim out & plane" BETTER, regardless of other issues. = That just takes a LONGER piece of gas-line from tank to OB.

just my opinion, satx

Found a motor!

1990 Evinrude 15hp.

Runs great, although I think it may need a new impeller (the peeing was a little weaker than I would have liked). Compression was identical in both cylinders (with my low-end compression tester). It had been sitting for some time, and wouldnt start, but poured a *tiny*, *tiny* bit of gas into the carb and BAM! First pull it started right up. Ran smooth, went from F -> N -> R -> N -> F with no issues at all. Kill swtich worked great, and the engine started up first pull after a few kills in a row.

e-1.jpg
e-2.jpg

e-3.jpg
e-4.jpg

e-5.jpg
e-6.jpg

e-7.jpg
e-8.jpg

e-9.jpg
e-10.jpg

e-11.jpg
e-12.jpg

e-13.jpg

Very Nice, indeed !!!

Clean, perfect size for your hull, and if you just do simple maintenance, will last just about forever. :)

You're putting together a very classy rig, Haute.

Your patience has paid off.

Nice work. Keep taking pictures and posting...some of us need vicarious tin projects.

=D> =D> =D>

With 2 kids you need some room. With a little one you need a dry spot on the floor and some disposable army men or Hot Wheels cars and a blanket.

FYI - "disposable" means SACRIFICIAL !! LOL
kids like to see if their toys (and shoes) will float - some do, some don't.

if you have expensive eyeware, the neck strap is a MUST to prevent losing your glasses overboard.

loads of FUN can come only with loads of SAFETY !!!!

The 90 psi on the compression test was bugging me...

So I thought the compression was testing a little low.

I unscrewed the long adapter at the end of my compression gauge, and just tried the short, stubby thread, which actually got the o-ring down to the seal, and tried again.

120 psi, both cylinders.

Much, much better...

Once I start piecing this together (should be next weekend), I'll start a build thread...

Latest posts