A newbie in need of advice... UPDATED! Got everything now!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326254#p326254 said:
Skully » 15 Aug 2013, 16:45[/url]"]I would pass on that boat you posted I don't like the damage I see t [-X o the structure of the boat keep looking don't rush the season will be over soon and thats when you find the best deals when people get tired of of boating and christmas is coming so things tend to be sold before the holidays. keep hunting.....
I asked about the gunwales. They are identical on both sides. He said there has been *no* damage to the gunwales at all; he sent me another picture too to confirm:

pc5.jpg

He also sent me a shot of the serial number for the motor, which I have been unable to confirm.

The serial is A709545, and it is supposedly a 1985 Mercury 20hp, but according to everything I have found, Merc only made an 18 or 25 in that year. The 20's were made again in 1986, but the serial number doesnt match anything I can find to corroborate the serial number in that year. *shrug*

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326281#p326281 said:
WaterWaif » 15 Aug 2013, 22:39[/url]"]I question design /layout for gunwale shape. Not having benches cross ways in from stern to mid ships may be a factor in flexed/bent areas.
All Princecraft boats are like this, other than their lightweight cartoppers. Honestly, its a configuration I prefer.

If Vancouver craigs list any indication, price says its to be looked at(all ready).
Agreed!
Motors listed there not so bad but for what ever reason be it demand or supply or wishes, boats are priced without motors for about what a small mint motor to boot price is here with few 14 to 16 footers ready to go .
Ya, I cant figure out why the pricing is so distorted here. Mind you, this is a city where 2 bedroom houses built in 1950, which are now fit to be crack houses, are worth $1.5M dollars...
Eye catchers about double the price i,m used to also.
Worse case its save for a craft if none found to suit.
Ya. I'm torn on this boat above b/c its such a smoking deal, but, if I wait a whole year, I can probably afford to buy a near-new boat as my wife will be returning to work after being off on disability for over a year.
Not sure where compromise between capacity of craft and being able to launch without a trailer would be.
A "car topper" lighter weight 12 footer ideal for one person,or two people to portage short distances but just not a family craft for comfort or stability on all but the calmest. I did it with three of us ,2 adults one kid. Stay out of much waves,boat traffic, and watch the weather like life depends on it.
This is the juggle for me too.

My "ultimate" boat, if you will within price reason, is a Pricecraft Yukon 15 or an Alumacraft 1448MV modified v-bow jon with a 15-20 on the back.

I need to have a boat which is light enough that it can be "portaged" via wheels with me and my wife at worst, but heavy and stable enough to last us until the kids are older - that's a tough bill to fit it seems like, but I know *many* people who have done this with nothing more than a 12' and a 9.9, so I'm not sure where the happy medium is.

Find a way to test run some boats to confirm your needs,add wants that fit budget.
14 ft with a trailer is as small as i would recommend too.While near maximum recommended h.p. is better for resale and fun, i could live with a 15 h.p. motor on one if it meant boating or not.
Wild guess three to three and a half grand for a fourteen foot with a twenty five horse in great shape , with trailer, on the rare right day, which will not be often...with about a 650 lb. capacity.

I saw this one:

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/3985714947.html

But then saw what seems to be flex seal all over the **** seams, which made me not even want to call at all. Not only that, it looks in far worse wear than the one above.

With out owner demonstrating it to me I need to be polite on last listing with 25 Johnson. I don,t even try to run Evinrude at a low 1.5-3 m.p.h.speeds for long. Being a two stroke it don,t like it and loads up enough that I don,t like it, lugging not cool on engine either.But things may be different in this case and would need to be seen, interesting!.
I have an engine with a sticker a year off from serial number, older actual motor i believe if research and memory correct,that would be fine in my case as it precedes a problem that followed with oil separate design and how would I know how much damage occurred if oiler failed and motor was simply converted back to premix fuel,(some owners did this on their own too) and motor retired till sale?.

Well, just re-reading things, I'm thinking:

He will go lower if you show up, talk around, have cash in pocket, and say something like $1300 for the whole rig, including the trailer. He wants to sell it, and has been good about communicating with you. Not usually the case with a hustler, in my experience.

If you wait a year...well, you waited a year. From the way you have described the market there, this rig will be worth as much or more in a year.

You're kind of torturing yourself. Maybe it is time to buy it. :)

Best wishes, and be safe.

20 h.p. Merc seems to be 86 following gap of 4?years in production.
Numbers for 86 production start A910971.
A catch! Canadian numbers for same year started at A708966.(per nymarine)
Should you find yourself singing born to be wild on a test drive, your getting close. :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326319#p326319 said:
Kismet » 16 Aug 2013, 08:44[/url]"]Well, just re-reading things, I'm thinking:

He will go lower if you show up, talk around, have cash in pocket, and say something like $1300 for the whole rig, including the trailer. He wants to sell it, and has been good about communicating with you. Not usually the case with a hustler, in my experience.
I've been thinking that too.

If you wait a year...well, you waited a year. From the way you have described the market there, this rig will be worth as much or more in a year.
If I put a tiny bit of work into it (new paint inside the hull, new wood on the seats and transom over the winter), I can easily turn a profit on it next year.

You're kind of torturing yourself. Maybe it is time to buy it. :)

Best wishes, and be safe.

We'll see. I'm not really torturing myself, but it is definitely one of the best deals within 1000km's of where I live.

WaterWaif said:
20 h.p. Merc seems to be 86 following gap of 4?years in production.
Numbers for 86 production start A910971.
A catch! Canadian numbers for same year started at A708966.(per nymarine)
Should you find yourself singing born to be wild on a test drive, your getting close. :LOL2:

:)

If I put a tiny bit of work into it (new paint inside the hull, new wood on the seats and transom over the winter), I can easily turn a profit on it next year.

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

If i had a nickle.......

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326345#p326345 said:
Ictalurus » 16 Aug 2013, 14:38[/url]"]

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

If i had a nickle.......

My thoughts exactly. :lol:

I don't know, it either has a really big seat or it looks like a really short 14 footer. Take a tape measure and verify the size, then plot it out at your house to figure if it'll work for you.

One thing about really good deals, if they are advertised and they are still sitting there, they aren't really good deals. The good deals sell by the end of the day, heck I've called about boats 2 hours after they were listed on CL and they were gone.

Buy once, cry once.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326426#p326426 said:
Ranchero50 » 17 Aug 2013, 14:33[/url]"]I don't know, it either has a really big seat or it looks like a really short 14 footer. Take a tape measure and verify the size, then plot it out at your house to figure if it'll work for you.

I cant, as this boat is on an island near where I live. It will take a 2.5 hour ferry ride, and another 2 hours by car to get to it.

Should I go and see it this weekend coming up, I'm either going to walk away or put my money down, but its not something which I can check out, take my time, and then come back should I decide to buy it.

One thing about really good deals, if they are advertised and they are still sitting there, they aren't really good deals. The good deals sell by the end of the day, heck I've called about boats 2 hours after they were listed on CL and they were gone.

Buy once, cry once.

I have thought about this a LOT. However, its not the most easily accessible, and it doesnt seem like many people are buying at this time of year. Most things are lasting on CL for some time (however, that could also be the insanely high prices too).

Plan is still to check it out with 6 ft. four inch friend? 20 h.p. should push you two fine though no skiing. :roll: Then if it runs good you have a starter boat! Lots to be said about simple interiors at wash down time, and being able to bump a rock with out swearing. #-o . A flat floor on a third would give kids a place to crash but not a required mod... My worth a cup of coffee opinion is 14 foot will suffice in fair weather and short waves ,all we,d want to run kids in to keep it pleasant anyway. Not to be picky but a constant question of mine is always who serviced it(nothing wrong with owner service,more a time of service question) and when was last water pump impeller change,as well as tune up and lower unit lube change. Wanting to prevent problems by having service done before being out with family.So far it seems current owner aware of its needs, example, work on trailer.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326658#p326658 said:
WaterWaif » 19 Aug 2013, 18:13[/url]"]Plan is still to check it out with 6 ft. four inch friend? 20 h.p. should push you two fine though no skiing. :roll: Then if it runs good you have a starter boat! Lots to be said about simple interiors at wash down time, and being able to bump a rock with out swearing. #-o
Yep, going to check it out with my bud who's a rather large guy, but very well-versed in boats.

A flat floor on a third would give kids a place to crash but not a required mod...
Was thinking this myself about any boat I buy...

My worth a cup of coffee opinion is 14 foot will suffice in fair weather and short waves ,all we,d want to run kids in to keep it pleasant anyway.
Exactly. My kids are the real reason for the boat purchase anyways. We had a lot of fun fishing as a family this summer, and I'd like to continue the tradition.

Not to be picky but a constant question of mine is always who serviced it(nothing wrong with owner service,more a time of service question) and when was last water pump impeller change,as well as tune up and lower unit lube change. Wanting to prevent problems by having service done before being out with family.So far it seems current owner aware of its needs, example, work on trailer.

These are things I will be asking, for sure.

Well, I went to see that boat today.

Trailer was a 9/10, boat was 5 or 6/10 - it had a couple of hull patches he neglected to tell me about along with some extra wear, and the engine was... well...

130psi in both cylinders, which was good, but the carb needed a rebuild. He was only willing to come down $100 (the cost of a carb kit).

So... I walked, in spite of the price.

My wife and I discussed it in great detail tonight, and we agreed that if we double our price range, and hold off until next year, we can get a much newer boat, and have one to start with that will be a "long term solution".

So, we started a "boat jar" which now has about $300 in it... :)

I will report back when I find something else.

In the mean time, I wanted to thank each of you for taking your time to help me out - much appreciated!

Good job having the ability to walk away. I am getting better at doing that, but still fall victim now and again.

At least you'll get something you want when the time comes.

Hey you checked it out! Great.
Took a very long time for me to buy a second boat,the luxury of not having to helped.The years of shopping were an education.It got to where even my daughter knew the routine when stopping to look a boat over.
Check transom and corners first,then keel,then hull, and onward.
Congrats on having spouse involved and keep looking.No rush, it will happen, and best wishes to you and your family boating!.

Yep, don't sweat it. Most folks take 3 attempts to find the hull that fits them.

I bet there's 50 tin boats within 30 miles of me for sale right now. Probably at least 300 within 60 miles. Bad economy makes fall even harder on tin boat owners, lots of dreams for sale. I spent the weekend with my dad working on his 28' Chris Craft Catalina and we were big boat shopping coming back from the Chesapeake and there were literally thousands of hulls on the hard and hundreds of slips open in the marina's. Dad wants something with a diesel around 34' long to retire into, the 350 Chevy is too hard on fuel at $20/hr to run 12 knots speed...

Hi Everyone!

Well, after nearly a year and 6 weeks ahead of our big fishing trip, I have a hull! (no motor yet though)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm not sure what year, but I think its around a '05-'06. It's really clean, and only one minor little ding on the bottom. The owner is primarily a fly fisherman, and wants something around 10' long he can actually put on his back.

This is nice in that its a car topper; I have a 4Runner with no trailer, so I need something < 165lbs to go onto my roof.

There are no 15hp motors on C'sL right now with a short shaft, but lots of 9.9 options in both 2 and 4 stroke. There are two Yamaha 9.9's (4 strokes) that I'm going to look at early this week, but I'm not really that keen on a 4 stroke (weight, lay down on one side, less grunt).

There are a myriad of Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury, Tohatsu, Nissan, Suzuki engines though, but its so tough to know what Make/Model/Year are worth looking at.

If I find anything, I will report back.

If you're reading this... thanks! :)

haute; All,

The people who know me here can IGNORE this post, as it will be a repeat of advice to several "first timers":
1. A 14 foot boat is CROWDED & possibly DANGEROUS, with 2 adults & 2 kids.
2. Do some SERIOUS "looking around" you town & on craigslist until you find an older 16 foot VEE-bottom by any of the QUALITY builders, ignoring the YEAR that it was built. - CONDITION is EVERYTHING, when buying an older boat, regardless of type.
(My "new to me" and "heavy-duty" LONE STAR KING COMMANDER,VEE-bottom 16 footer, was built in 1960 and it was GIVEN to me, by a fellow that had "a few too many boats". = There are LOTS of older VEE-bottom open fisherman out there for the cost of its weight in SCRAP aluminum.)
3. Buy yourself a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: MAKING AND OLD MOTOR RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak and read it "cover to cover" and then acquire yourself a 12-25HP Evinrude, Gale or Johnson of the 1957-70 era, that's in GOOD shape for 50-150.oo, then follow Max's advice doing some simple/routine maintenance/"light repairs" on the motor.
(You need NOT be a "mechanic" to do maintenance & simple repairs on an old OMC outboard, as they are over-engineered, tough, simple mechanically and seem to run forever, with easy to do maintenance.)
4. Wawrzyniak's book is frequently discounted on amazon.com & other "used book sites" AND many public libraries have a copy as well. = It's easy to find & a classic book, for those of us who are "UNFINANCIAL".
(Being a "cheapskate", I got my first copy for 5 bucks at a local thrift shop.)

Note: When I finish with cleaning-up/repainting my LONE STAR 16 foot with 1958 Johnson 18HP electric-start motor (that I bought CHEAP at an estate sale) & repairing/repainting the trailer, I will likely have LESS than 500.oo cash in the boat/motor/trailer. ======> Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but that's CHEAP fishing/boat-riding!

just my OPINIONS, satx

Haute?

You did good. :)

Very clean!

Older jonnyrude, with the clean up satx talks about will be a dream for you. Watch motor weight; My 5.5. Evinrude is about 50lbs, my 10 hp Johnson about 75lbs. The 10 Evinrude I was asked to try out on my 14ft Alumacraft model A (@ 130lbs) had me looking at the middle seat when I cranked it--but I was alone in the boat and gas and my heavy butt were in the back.

Happy trails.

=D> =D>

Latest posts