Alumacraft V14 or 16 and Outboard to Match... My Dilemma

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsouce411

Reaction score
Hey members, this may end up being a longwinded post but I'll do my best to keep it brief. This is my first post in years after going to the dark side and owning a glass boat (Aquasport 165 Osprey center console) that I am selling this week. I am going back to a tin boat, and have narrowed it down to two options: The Alumacraft V14 and 16 models with floor and 20" transom and walk through seating. My local Cabela's stocks both, with a $200 price difference between models.

Previously I restored and owned a mid 80's Blue Fin 14' that sported a 20hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Awesome boat, sold it (stupidly) to buy the Aquasport. Handled great and went around 26mph with two adults and normal load. I would imagine I could expect similar performance out of the new Alumacraft V14 if equipped with the same 20hp outboard. The hull is rated for a 20hp.

I'm also considering the 16' model with a very lightly used 2012 25hp Yamaha. This package would run a little more cost-twise, but I'd be gaining 2' of boat, have more room for modifications/storage and overall fishing space.

Most of my fishing is lakes/rivers, and inshore striper fishing here in Maine. This is where the 16's size would be appreciated, though I ran the 14' blue fin without any issues inshore fishing.

Lastly, I'm considering the V14 with the 25hp outboard. This exceeds the rating by 5hp which doesnt concern me much. My main concern with this setup is the 50lb weight difference in outboard weight and how that will effect freeboard at the stern. Has anyone done/seen this setup done? I dont want to go ahead with this only to find out the 25 is just too heavy and repower. My Blue Fin was actually rated for a 30 and only had a 15" transom, so I'm thinking I would probably be fine with the 25. The specs between boats are very similar.

I guess I just need a nudge in whatever direction you guys think I should go.

Sorry for the longwinded-ness. Thanks a ton!

Let me start by saying I am no expert. I can say for my use of a boat, bigger is better just beacause of the room to work. For fishing a 16' for me barely works. For duck hunting it really doesn't work. With guns, decoys, dog, cooler. The boat almost looks like a flat top with no room to move. Either hunting or fishing I almost always have two or three people in the boat so consider that. As far as power I like the most I can get just because I am usually fully loaded and need it. I guess my best advise (like that is worth anything) is to consider how many and what you will have in the boat and then make sure the boat is big enough to carry it all.

I'd go with the 16. For ventures into the salt it would be more comfortable. Plus the 16 is probably wider, more stable and holds more people and gear. My vote Is 16 footer with the biggest motor you can hang on her