Anyone make their own rods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't build my own rods, but I have friend that does. He has made me two, and is working on another. I love hearing about what goes into making the rods and seeing what new thing he is trying. Maybe I will get into it someday. As said in an earlier post, you get to pick what you want and have a rod that nobody else in the world has.

I recently started building rods after receiving one as a gift.

I am also a student on limited funds, so I recommend buying a cheaper kit for your first rod.
I also purchased a nice hand wrapper and drying motor from Batson Enterprises (the cheapest I could find). You can always make your own stand, but i would recommend buying a cheap drying motor.

I also agree with previous posts: look through the Mudhole catalogue, as well as Jann's Netcraft. Keep your eyes open for sales.

Also join Rodbuilding.org

Some very beautiful work and great advice here =D> I started building my own a few years ago.. it is nearly as addicting as fishing itself.. As others have mentioned, you won't necessarily save much over factory rods.. especially at first if you outlay some $$ for equipment to get started.. But you will certainly be able to build something suited to you exactly, and get a great deal of satisfaction from catching fish on your own creations..And if you get good at it, you can make back some $ building for others, and doing repairs.. The internet is a blessing these days.. loaded with great instructional material on rodbuilding and making your own tools/equipment.. and it really is quite easy once you get the hang of a few things..In addition to being able to really fine tune the setup of a rod for a particular application and individual, its also a lot of fun to express your individuality with the decorative touches for a true custom look.. My eyesight is pretty bad, and I have a hard time with the fine decorative thread work.. so I been blinging up my rods using different materials like abalone, snakeskin, marbling etc. to get some cool looks.. At any rate, it is something you can at least sample without really needing to buy too much in the way of equipment.. If you decide you like it, then you can pick up a decent power wrapper/dryer setup and really take off.. One of my favorite elements is turning nice cork/eva grips.. for which you really need a lathe/wrapper.. but guys still turn out great rods from V-cuts in a cardboard box, and simple hand tools.. Here's are a few of mine:
Seeker Hercules inshore lite (72L) - spiral wrapped-(as are most my conventionals) w/ prairie rattlesnake-
008-1.jpg

72l004-1.jpg

Another Seeker Hercules- w/ abalone, + Mudhole special vert. Jigger series blank on spinner in background
6_16_11c-1.jpg

another + of building your own is getting perfect balance with the reel you choose-
seekerherc013-1.jpg

Loomis Gl3 -more abalone
8_15005-1.jpg

Seeker "Supertog" w/diamondback rattler
bacala004-1.jpg

One for the ladies.. Pink CRB blank from Mudhole
saras016-1.jpg

saras011-1.jpg

One last Seeker Hercules 72L-(Love this blank.. super versatile for the saltwater fishing i do here in the NE. ) with diamondback-
DSC01017-1.jpg

swcr said:
The best source of online rodbuilding info can be found at
https://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

swcr, I am friends with DR over there and he has built me two of the sweetest "no bling" rods ever! Both spiral wrap bait casters, one a Baston ISB822.5. the other a MHX SJ842 with micros. They are coupled with a Curado E5 and E7, and if memory serves me, both weigh 10 ounces or so. I'll never buy off the shelf again.