Anyone make thir own wood crankbaits?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardest part I found before I did a "look at and see what I can figure out study in my bathtub with clear water" was when they sink to the bottom, they nose down and tail up. Giving to the reason of the flat portion on the bottom in the front. A very good indication of where the eye tie must go comes from this little clue. To far up and it will lay to its side when retrieving. To far forward and it will nose up too sharp and too fast and be gone before the fish can figure out where it went. You have about an 1/8" to work with, if that, in this 1/8" you can make a tight wiggle or a loose wiggle. And that is a preference of whatever they want. I really wanted to make more of these but it takes time and a lot of testing to get things right. But once there, you can whip them out pretty fast even by hand. I still play with them once in a while trying two different lures and making one. Some came out looking pretty cool. Some not so very nice. lol Its all a learning experience.

Nice looking bait 722000!

I finally got out bass fishing this weekend and a nice lunker had to have a taste!

106_0552.jpg

106_0554.jpg

I have made some. It is fun, but you have to make some and before you paint I would recommend that you test them after you glue everything up. I have some I painted and epoxied and then swam them and they are a tight wobble. If you are grinding you from a block I suggest that you use a shape marker and get the center line and drill spots for weights and hangers before you start cutting and grinding. It is easier to make sure they are centered before you start carving.

Attachments

• downsize-48.jpg
    downsize-48.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 4,281
  • 0128120851.jpg
    0128120851.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 4,281
Beautiful work. Great suggestions about centering things before cutting to rounded shape. I have found this to be true in a number of woodworking projects.

Keep 'em coming. Rich

Yeah after a couple of times trying to get drill a carved lure and centering it in a funny way and then ruining the hole isn't fun. Especially after you did the sanding.

Theres a place in Florida called https://granddadslures.com/ they make some hand crafted wooden lures that look great! I ordered a couple of them just to collect..they are too pretty to throw in the lake..lol
DSCF3053.jpg

Hey guys. I started a shop over on etsy. Currently I only have one listed, but I will be adding more when I finish them up. Let me know what you think.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GECLures

Don't sell any .. and don't have a web site .. just make em for my own use.. but I do trade now and then .. baits for baits, have even traded for a custom rod or two.

Been a couple years since I posted on this topic.. I just started buying knock offs from china for a few baits I liked .. here is a recent paint job on deep diver before and after.
Guy my wife works with saw and wanted to buy 2 of them lol .. I figured what the heck.. hope he caught some good ones on them this weekend

20160924_233819_zpspb5cq73b.jpg

20160925_064228_zpsgolaltir.jpg

I started a couple of winters ago to make various lures/flies and like most things I do, let it go for a while. Just yesterday I picked up a benchtop wood lathe to replace the homemade one I had been using. Here's the link to my former attempts:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36796&hilit=lures

I fish topwater so that's the kind of baits I make. The lathe obviously makes symmetrical lures (although they can be altered post-lathe work) but for top water that is mostly an asset. Poppers and torpedos are easily turned on even the most basic lathe. In fact you can make a simple lathe with an electric drill. Anyway here's my new lathe...

Many lures require an epoxy coating that needs to be kept turning while it cures. I had a 1RPM motor and made this dryer that will accommodate both light weight flies as well as heavier lures.

Here are a few simple shapes I made on my sewing machine lathe...

There are lots of Youtube lessons on lure making. Here is a link to one of a particularly good series by Paul Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZBJLt1Rm0Y :

Finally, If I ever manage to see any of these through to the finish I might want to send some along to anyone out there willing to give them a try. My fishing season is over for the year but it would be good to know if any really catch fish before making more. I'll be back in touch if/when I have some to share.

I finally finished a few lures. It's taken me months to get all the stuff together including a place to work. I've got some problems with the finish but this is some of what I have to show for my first batch. I haven't tested them out fishing but have floated them and the balance seems good. I'm not sure I'm very proud of them but it's a start.

Sorry about the image quality. I am so sick of Photobucket. It is so bloated with ads that it's getting impossible to use and to fix up these six pics would have been hours at the rate the pages load.

For any interested in making/painting baits there are two particularly good YouTube channels that I got a lot of good info from:

One is Paul Adams at The Handmade Fisher at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHsVmxfbTN79r80FC9qeOYQ

The other is Lure Me in Custom Painted Crankbaits at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYhLtEMVKsfrUj8wc9qUtbA

When my dad was in his 60's I gifted him a dremel tool and he said, "that's like giving a flashlight to a blind man" and told me to keep it.

Since I already had one I insisted he keep it. A couple of years later I come to find that he started making (on the sly not telling me how much he used that blind man's tool) "rapala" type lures without diving lips and he was KILLING the bass and walleye in the upstate N.Y. reservoir system. He just sprayed them with grey paint.

Latest posts