Batteries in the winter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpena

Reaction score
So I have question about what to do with deep cycle and the engine starter battery when not in use, like during the winter months. I saw a battery maintainer at Target the other day and wandering should I get one for my two batteries or taking them off and placing them in the garage good enough? I'm in Fort Worth Tx. it's gets cold but doesn't last long, Cold one day warm the next day.

my boat is under 6" of snow at this point and my batteries stay in the boat and on the onboard charger year round
as long as the cells arent allowed to dry up they will be fine

I'm not sure on your boat/battery set-up, but I can tell you what has been working for me. I have used a "Battery Tender Plus" made by Deltran and have been very happy with it. They make one for marine use, but the same one(kind) I used on my GoldWing motorcycle has worked well for me. I posted about it some time ago on this forum.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20635&p=218012&hilit=battery+tender&sid=50a8ea1f6023a175a9e0c8e84d593b2e#p218012

I nor my family or friends are connected with this product or anyone who sell this product. I'm just sharing what has worked well for my situation.

FlyBye

I use Battery Tender Jr on everything I have if it's not getting started on a regular basis. Mower and motorcycle during the winter, boat batteries and ATV if I don't plan on using either for a while. I charge my batteries with my regular charger after use if I'm going out the next day and need a faster charge. I've lost batteries after one winter of sitting before I started using the tenders but since I started using them, I haven't had a battery die on me that wasn't over 4 years old. None of my batteries/equipment are stored in heated spaces.

I have been told not to let them sit directly on concrete. I put my batteries in the house or basement and charge them when I'm ready to install and have not had a problem. I am thinking about getting a tender for my batteries just for piece of mind. I would like to add a question to this thread.

Do you have to have one tender for each battery or can you hook up several with jumpers?

BillG said:
I have been told not to let them sit directly on concrete. I put my batteries in the house or basement and charge them when I'm ready to install and have not had a problem. I am thinking about getting a tender for my batteries just for piece of mind. I would like to add a question to this thread.

Do you have to have one tender for each battery or can you hook up several with jumpers?

All the info I've found on batteries says that the old thing about batteries and concrete applied to older batteries when the casing was made of a different composite. Supposedly, the newer materials they using now days has eliminated that issue.

Personally, I don't remove my batteries from what ever they are attached to, so I have a different unit for each. Battery Tender brand makes models for 1, 2, or 4, batteries. The drawbacks to multi models for me is that I don't park everything close enough to each other for the connections to reach. The other drawback is that there doesn't seem to be a price break between buying 4x single vs a 4 outlet model. If your 4 outlet model dies you're out the entire price where as a single unit failing only cost 1/4th the price of the bigger model. I'm not familiar with what options other brands offer.

I am in Houston. Obviously, we have even less of a temperature problem than Dallas.

I've found that If I put a simple lamp timer into the circuit everything works fine.

My two battery chargers ( for main and trolling motor batteries) have an automatic 2 amp setting. If I do nothing at all, they charge at 2 amps. I can set them to charge at higher rates, but not automatically, which turns out to be a good thing.

I put the simple lamp type timer into the outlet for my extension cord. I plug the two chargers into the extension cord and set it so that they charge twice a day for an hour or two. You can vary the timing easily enough.

Haven't had ANY problems with the batteries being overcharged.... or not charged enough. Even after leaving them for 4 months when I went up North for the Summertime, they were completely charged when I returned home. Lamp timers are great, simple and inexpensive units to set up your system. Rich

After my last outing of the season, in mid/late November, I would charge them then put them in the basement until they got used in March. Worked great for my Kirkland 27DCs.

Latest posts