Benjineer's Lund S-16 Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you're doing with the boat. I was thinkiw did you make hong about doing the same thing with mine. I actually have a 76 lund s-14 and was thinking about cutting down the middle seat. One question, what tool did you use to cut the aluminum?

Oh, BTW, I have a '67 Johnson 33hp on my boat (rated for 35hp). I get about 27mph with just me in the boat (total weight with boat, motors, two batteries, 9 gallons of gas, other gear, and myelf).

I started with a 4-1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel but discovered a jigsaw worked better. Get a few blades because it gets slow with a dull one.

First trip to the saltwater in my tin. First keeper redfish. First limit of redfish. Great day of firsts! They measured 22", 23", and 26". All caught within a few feet of each other. My 2-yr-old had a blast watching the commotion and then playing with them in the cooler.
IMG00067-20101210-1645.jpg

DuraCraft said:
Man, Ben, you did good! You posted this today, 12/13/10, WOW, don't tell me you went in this freezing weather!!!

No way! It was Friday, caught the last fish at 3PM. Nice day, but started getting cold. We went back on Saturday with my dad in his boat. It was getting windy. No luck at all. Would have been a wasted trip without my little boy to entertain us. Guess I hit it just right on Friday.

Good. I am in Byram, (south of Jackson) and never fished for reds. It's about 3 hours from me, but one of my goals is to fish those waters in my 14' tin. I cross the bridges there on hwy 90 and I-10 often, always looking over at the waters there, but I have no idea at all where to fish, put in, or how to fish for reds. I need to just go and try!

If y'all want to go just let me or Specks and Reds know. If we can't go we can at least point you in the right direction.
I'm dying to get back down to Delacroix. This cold ought to have the specks stacked up in Oak River. I got the fever baaaad.

Dying here!

I caught those in Pascagoula. I put in at the Pascagoula River Front Park (shipyard exit on 90 bridge) and went up the East Pascagoula river in a bayou off Lake Catch em All. There's lots of marsh in that area. There's also oyster beds and rubble reefs south of 90. You can see it all on Google maps here. There aren't a lot of secret spots, so I'd be happy to share. It's about being in the right place at the right time which equals a lot of guesswork and luck for those of us who don't fish it every day to keep up with where the fish are. Get on the saltwater forum at bullnettlenews.com. There's a lot of local knowledge on there. There's a lot of people fishing jon boats in that area. You just have to watch out for big wakes and make sure people see you. You can't catch em if you don't go try.

thad. said:
If y'all want to go just let me or Specks and Reds know. If we can't go we can at least point you in the right direction.
I'm dying to get back down to Delacroix. This cold ought to have the specks stacked up in Oak River. I got the fever baaaad.

Dying here!

Thad, me too! Cabin fever bad. And, ben also, thanks for that information! That's just what I needed to know. I think I have seen that boat ramp off of Hwy 90. I will be too busy until middle of January, but I think I can go then. I will be doing some research on red fishing.

And, if anybody goes, please post more photos! It helps...

jasper, come on down!

Great minds must think alike!
I plan on going up north this summer and getting a boat for fishing & duck hunting over here in Mobile Bay & MS Sound.
If I cant find a Grumman 145ss or a Sylvan Alaskan 15DLX, I am going to try to find a older Lund S or WC that I can mod to a walk-thru.Probably wont add the casting deck, but will cut the notch in the middle bench.
I found a Grumman last year but the oil spilled kept me from being able to get it.
Nice job on the Lund!

I've only used it a couple of times, but I'm starting to wish it was a CC. Just feels weird sitting down so low when I'm used to standing up and being able to see better. I wanted something small, light, and simple though, so I guess I should keep it that way. May upgrade to a single engine when I can. It's a good 1-2 man boat for the river and marsh. I have no fear of getting stuck on a high spot, and boat wakes and chop are not too scary either. Good luck finding what you are looking for. You may not have to look as far as you think. Since I got this one, I've noticed some old V boats sitting in yards and a couple on the local craigslist. There are definitely more up north though.

DuraCraft said:
thad. said:
It's Trout Time, now!

Oh me, and I can't go now - don't tell me it's going to be like so many times before for me - They were bitin' yesterday, and they'll be bitin' tomorrow - while I am fishing TODAY...

They're stacked up in the marsh and the redfishing is *crazy*. They're catching limits of reds off the side of the road. Check out the reports on rodnreel.com. I know they're not lying because I went down there a couple of weeks ago and we caught reds until we were tired of catching them.

benjineer said:
I've only used it a couple of times, but I'm starting to wish it was a CC. Just feels weird sitting down so low when I'm used to standing up and being able to see better. I wanted something small, light, and simple though, so I guess I should keep it that way. May upgrade to a single engine when I can. It's a good 1-2 man boat for the river and marsh. I have no fear of getting stuck on a high spot, and boat wakes and chop are not too scary either. Good luck finding what you are looking for. You may not have to look as far as you think. Since I got this one, I've noticed some old V boats sitting in yards and a couple on the local craigslist. There are definitely more up north though.

I am thinking of trying to find a V-hull like yours and doing this to it. It would need to be at least a 16 footer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NShOP0XFCRk

Its Crazy! This boat retails for about $20,000. You could build one for under $6k. Tinboats is an awesome website!

reedjj said:
I am thinking of trying to find a V-hull like yours and doing this to it. It would need to be at least a 16 footer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NShOP0XFCRk

Its Crazy! This boat retails for about $20,000. You could build one for under $6k. Tinboats is an awesome website!

Yeah! I didn't get as good a deal as a lot of guys on here, but when I started looking at new prices, wow! I paid less than a new boat costs and got a nice trailer, two motors, and an aluminum fuel tank. Can't wait to start tinkering with it again.

Latest update: Sold one of the 9.9s. The remaining one will get me around the lake, but it's slow. I'm trying to do some horse trading and get me a 25-35.

benjineer said:
Latest update: Sold one of the 9.9s. The remaining one will get me around the lake, but it's slow. I'm trying to do some horse trading and get me a 25-35.

Yea, a 25-35hp should push you nicely. Are you going back to Wisconsin for a motor? Plenty of them up north.