Benjineer's Lund S-16 Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if we'll get to go up there this summer. Not enough vacation days and too much other stuff planned. Besides, I'm not sure I can stand to wait that long.

Ok, I tossed the twin 9.9s and bought a 2003 Johnson 25hp with electric start. I was considering going bigger, but after the first water test today I think it's just right. I didn't check the speed, but it's definitely faster than the twins. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon. It looks way too nice for the boat it's on, but I hope to get the boat caught up this year.

I just wanted to post a few pics of the current state of my rig. It's still far from finished. I'm still getting ideas on what I want to change rear of the casting deck. Besides the new-to-me motor, I've done a little trailer work. I moved the winch up the post, so the roller is above the bow-eye. I also added the ladder stabilizer pvc guide posts. I'm not completely satisfied with them because I'd like to move them farther back, but I'll have to come up with some different hardware to mount them that way. It really helps getting it centered on the trailer. Saturday, I also raised the bunk boards, so the rear of the boat would sit higher on the trailer. I've nearly swamped the transom a couple of times on steep ramps. Hopefully this will get more of the bottom in contact with the water to float it better. You also get to see pics of the deck addition on our house. It turned out nice and most importantly made her happy.
IMG_0496_small.JPGIMG_0497_small.JPGIMG_0498_small.JPGIMG_0499_small.JPG

alanbird_87 said:
Cant wait to see your boat when u finally get it finished! 8)

Thanks. Me too, hopefully in my lifetime. I'm thinking the next step is to remove the little side benches. They are really just in the way. I'm thinking of adding a small, low center console and a tiller extension handle for stand-up driving. I'm borrowing the idea from the boat Flip Pallot uses on Ford's Fishing Frontier (The Outdoor Channel). The only pic I can find is here: https://www.hellsbayboatworks.com/hb_pro_flip.php#. I just don't feel right sitting down when in the big water. I did some experimenting with an adjustable dolly. It would work well with a grab handle at about thigh/waist level to sort of lean on. I could still see over it when seated, and I could see a depth finder mounted there when at either position. The console itself would only be about a foot wide, since I don't need room for steering. I only need room for a couple of gauges and switches and a sounder. I might try to make it the width and depth of some Plano latchboxes, so I can make some slots to slide them into. What do ya'll think? Anyone done or seen anything like that?

Looks good. I am sure you will enjoy the single outboard more then the twins. Though I bet you had some interesting looks at the boat ramp with the other set up. I was curious about your fuel tank. Did it come with the vessel or was it made? I was thinking of getting something similar for my boat to put under the front deck to keep the weight off the *** end of mine. Where did you get the sending unit and parts for yours at?

Fuel tank came with it, but it's not original. I'm sure someone had it made special. Probably a bit overkill for the twin 10s. I bet you could run wide open for days. I got the sending unit off ebay. It was a universal one. You just cut the arm to match the depth of the tank. I think it was a Seachoice brand. Gauges came from ebay also - actually surplus from Lund.

Woooohooo! Sold the '05 9.9 longshaft kicker off my center console boat yesterday. I hated to let it go, but I'm keeping the remaining Merc that came with my tin to take its place. After the smoke cleared I had what I wanted and just about broke even, so everything is right with the world =D> . (1) '05 Johnson 9.9 longshaft + (1) '86 Mercury 9.9 shortshaft elec. + $100 = (1) '03 Johnson 25 shortshaft elec. Now, to catch some fish!

Checked the speed on Saturday. 23mph on GPS with just me, my 2-yr old, 40lbs of ice and about 10gal of gas. Not too bad, but I was hoping to get a little more out of it. 13P AL prop. I don't have a tach, but I don't think anything was out of line. Has plenty of power to plane, but not sure it could handle a 15P. Tried hard but didn't catch a single fish.

benjineer said:
Checked the speed on Saturday. 23mph on GPS with just me, my 2-yr old, 40lbs of ice and about 10gal of gas. Not too bad, but I was hoping to get a little more out of it. 13P AL prop. I don't have a tach, but I don't think anything was out of line. Has plenty of power to plane, but not sure it could handle a 15P. Tried hard but didn't catch a single fish.

How does she troll?

Don't know. Don't do much trolling although I intend to try it. That's a good way to catch/locate speckled trout in the wintertime.

Well, I ordered another stick of AL angle that I'll get today. I'm still not sure where I'm going with it. I have a renewed interest in bass fishing after preparing for and winning our company's annual tournament the first time I entered. Can't take much credit because I fished with my cousin (who knows the lake and is into tournaments) in his bass boat, but I did put 2 keepers in the boat. I have several considerations to make now.

I'm reconsidering carpet because of the noise issue.
I want to move my bow seat back a little.
May want to deck farther back on the front or at least on the sides to strap my rods to the deck.
Need a second tm battery.
Got to get a nice depth finder or buy transducer/cables/mounts for the one I use on my other boat.
Want a depth finder on the front.

1/8 x 1-1/2 so far, but they didn't have it at the local supplier today. I got 1/8 x 1-1/4 this time. That should do ok because I had some places the 1-1/2 wouldn't fit. A 25' piece was $20. Not bad considering the 1-1/2 I bought last year was $40ea. Once I get the framing in, I may try to get a sheet of AL for the floor. I forgot to check the price on that. I'll probably stick with wood on the upper deck though.

Ok, here we go again. Just added some framing to the floor and removed the middle benches completely. This is the big one! Ordered a sheet of 1/8 x 4 x 10 aluminum for the floor. I only need about 82", so the rest may get used for the mini tiller console I'm still contemplating. I'm thinking about some very narrow side decks. Just enough to give some support to the sides and protect rod storage underneath. I think I'll deck in the bilge area. Still considering a small second battery just for starting.
IMG_0551_small.JPG
IMG_0552_small.JPG

I got a little more work done. Sprayed the floor bracing with plasti-dip to help prevent the floor from rattling. Did a little interior painting and got the floor cut. Here are pics of it laying in with a mock-up of my console. Right now, I plan to build a 12" deep x 16" wide box about 28" high with a grab rail on top at the back about 31" high. I was using the adjustable height dolly to figure out the height. I've got to try to locate a grab rail. I want a 1" stainless one that is set high off the console. I put the perfect one on my dad's boat a few years back. Wish I had it back. The stick of angle on one side is about where the side boards will go. I'm going to try to make the open width 48" That will give me 16" to walk on either side of the console. The distance from the front deck to the back deck is about 81". I have to cut a hole for wiring in the floor and get the floor back out to add some flotation. I may be going with pool noodles since I can buy them at the dollar store for............yep, a dollar.

IMG00136-20110519-0743.jpg
IMG00137-20110519-0743.jpg
Aug04-5.JPG

Latest posts