Blown up motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Good afternoon everybody,

I went fishing this morning and my motor was running good and as we were looking for a place to fish the motor started to slow down and then finally shut down and there was steam coming from under the cowling.
I tried to restart it and it was seized up but after it cooled down I was finally able to restart it but it would not stay running.
When we first took off I checked to make sure that it was pumping water and it was. I am able to turn the motor over with my hand.

I just bought this motor last weekend and this is the first time I have been able to get it out. It is a 73 Johnson.

I am thinking that the rings are shot but I don't know what happened I didn't hit anything or run it up on shore or anything.
I am going to take it back to the shop where I bought it, if he says the rings are shot what is a approximate cost to fix it?

Jon

Sounds like you overheated the motor. Did you replace the impeller before you took the boat out?

I second what lckstckn2smknbrls said. #-o

I just started a post about outboards pumping water.That's what happens when you think it's OK. [-X

Sorry to hear. Sounds like it didn't have enough oil in the gas, or it could have just been it's time. It normally cost between $35-$60 per cylinder to have them bored. Then it will cost around $50 give or take per piston, and then you'll need some rod bearing and wrist pin bearings, depending on where you look there aroung $20 a piece. These are just rough estimate because I'm not sure what hp your motor. I'm basing these prices off of what motors I've rebuilt so it could be more or less.
The biggest thing is figuring out why it popped, if it came from a shop they should have checked compression to see if it was low and if it was low enough that the motor was going to gernade the first trip out I would think they wouldn't have sold it to you in the first place. The way you described it sounds like it got hot and since it was pumping water that leads me to think it wasn't getting the oil it needed to lube the cylinders so the pistons expanded and finally stuck.
That's my guess, maybe some else will have a better idea of what happened.

Before we took off from the ramp I checked to see if it was pumping water and it was, I also mixed the gas 50 to 1 like I was told to, There was no gas in the tank when we filled it up. When I bought it the shop owner told me if it didn't run right to bring it back so hoping we can get it figured out [-o< .

The motor is a 20 hp.

def the water impeller. I had this issue one time and just had to replace the water impeller and it worked great after.

I can turn the motor over by hand by turning the flywheel, does this sound like its shot?

could be blown head gasket. Compression test would tell.
if and how it could fail, a blown head gasket can cause no compression, pressure in the water system and kill the water pump impeller.

ditchen said:
if and how it could fail, a blown head gasket can cause no compression, pressure in the water system and kill the water pump impeller.

There isn't even the faintest chance that a blown head gasket can cause a water pump impeller to fail. Other way around? Yes!

Pappy said:
ditchen said:

There isn't even the faintest chance that a blown head gasket can cause a water pump impeller to fail. Other way around? Yes!

Oh, wow,, glad ya caught that Pappy. Thanks for correcting my miss post.

Update

When I took the motor to the shop he done a compression test while I was there, he said that it had good compression and that he did not think it was hurt but he went ahead and kept it so he could run it and check it out before he let me have it back.

I admitted to him that it was probably my fault for going through some lily pads, but he is going to check it out for me anyway.
Thought that was a good deal.

Can't wait to get it back ad do some fishing.

Jon

Just an update on my motor,
Got it back tonight, he said that it had blown a head gasket and that it started on the second pull of the rope.
Good news for sure.
He put a new head gasket in it and did not charge me anything. I will be buying more things that I need from his shop.

Hope the rain quits for awhile so I can get out and try it.

jonmac said:
Just an update on my motor,
Got it back tonight, he said that it had blown a head gasket and that it started on the second pull of the rope.
Good news for sure.
He put a new head gasket in it and did not charge me anything. I will be buying more things that I need from his shop.

Hope the rain quits for awhile so I can get out and try it.

Kudos! Class act for that shop!

if it was pumping water ok, it sounds to me as if the thermostat is stuck closed which overheated your motor.

Latest posts