boat seat idea..need your opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

Reaction score
so i got the right plywood now I hope .that new dry stuff from menards (plytanium dryply) ,and some stainless steel hardware ,now I am thinking of screwing a piece of this on the bench seat to bolt the pedestal seat base to,but would i be ok just putting a small piece on (say the width of base) or should I do the whole bench seat? i am also going to cut a matching piece for under the seat (so kind of like sandwichiching it)and bolting it with washers on it also,does this sound like it would make the seat sturdier going small piece or full bench piece? thanks and stainless hardware is expensive and lowes ticks me off when they show they have 30 yards of the perfect color outdoor marine carpet in but cant find it anywhere :)

when I did my 12'er, I used 3/4" ply and painted it with the same stuff I painted the boat with - expensive stuff!.... anyways, the seat itself is 45" across, and I have 8" on each side of it that is not covered with the wood. I did this because the way I thought about it, if I lean back in the seat, I don't want it pulling up the aluminum seat where the pedestal is mounted. I probably overkilled it, but I used self tapping bolts and went thru the wood into the seat... I didn't put any nuts on the bottom side, just used 2" self tapping lag bolts. I put them every 4" around the outside, then mounted the pedestal the same way. That was about 5 years ago, and it's still a strong seat.

So to answer your question, I don't think it's necessary to cover the whole seat, but I do think you need a little bit more than just the pedestal. I would think I would atleast go all the way with the plywood to the front and back of the seat, and atleast 6" past the left and right side of the pedestal so that you have more meat holding the seat down.

cool , this boat sure is wearing me out,not in a bad way its just I think I am over thinking stuff,this site sure helps reassure myself

You need it larger than just the area of the base, like Russ said. Just keep in mind if you're going to add carpeting (now or down the road) it'll be much easier to cover if it runs the entire seat.

ST

well the 2 seats are installed ,stainless steel is expensive and i remember why i am not good at this stuff :) anyway screwed the plywood on drilled out a hole for the pedestal post to sit in ,attached seats to plywood after digging some foam out with stailness nuts /washers and bolts,hopefully it lasts ,the middle seat is coming out this winter and a front deck is goin on,of course some camo painting will cover the wood ,anyway this is what i got so far ,i have a temporary floor going in as soon as i figure out if i want a temp seat on front small deck for 3rd guy hunting when needed

Attachments

• boat seats.jpg
    boat seats.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 850

Latest posts