Boat Storage Not On Trailer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panthrosan

Reaction score
The main reason I love my 12 foot Jon Boat is its portability. I don't have or need a trailer, I just use my home-made dolly to get it off the back porch deck where it currently is stored and then just put it in the back of the pickup and secure it with straps and off to the lake/pond. Only problem is, I hate taking up my back deck just for my boat and need a better solution. Those of you without trailers, how do you go about storing your boat on your property that A)Keeps it off the ground and B)More importantly gets your wife off your butt for keeping it on the back porch deck? LOL.

I was leaning towards a modified Canoe storage rack kind of like this video but making it lower to the ground and having two posts per side instead of one like he has but was also kind of hoping to make it non-permanent.

Any help would be awesome guys, thanks.

Joe

Looks like a pretty good method to me, but in my area (Iowa), I can see a problem. Namely, paper wasps building nests up in the hull. With it upside down like that, there's a large area of weather shelter for them to build in. I would be more tempted to try something where it can be stood on it's transom so that one can get a good view into it before disturbing a nest and getting hurt. Maybe some way to hang it on the outside back wall of the garage?

Roger

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327635#p327635 said:
GTS225 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 pm[/url]"]Looks like a pretty good method to me, but in my area (Iowa), I can see a problem. Namely, paper wasps building nests up in the hull. With it upside down like that, there's a large area of weather shelter for them to build in. I would be more tempted to try something where it can be stood on it's transom so that one can get a good view into it before disturbing a nest and getting hurt. Maybe some way to hang it on the outside back wall of the garage?

Roger
I only use my boat for duck hunting so every year around this time it's a war on wasps.

I'm actually getting a new canoe soon and will store it under a tarp and laying on two saw horses.

When I stripped my tin boat, I used saw horses during the rehab process.

I built a rack for the bed of my last pickup truck to carry the canoe upside down over the roof. Picture two cross bars with a frame under it that sat in the bed of the truck. It came right out, so I would use that to store my canoe upside down. Same principal as saw horses really. Works great, sometimes I pull it off the rack and flip it on it's side and hose it out. Bees, spiders... just wash em out, no problem. In the winter, I use the canoe as a structure for my tarp over my 14' aluminum boat. Flip it over on top of the 14' then tarp over the whole thing. Works great.

Build a boat ramp out of PVC pipe. Design it with wheels so you can wheel it up to the back of your truck and slide the boat onto it, and then use it like a dolly to take it to your storage spot. It would sit at a pretty steep angle to drain rain water, but I would also use PVC to build a removable support for a tarp to keep the rain and sun out of it. You could just keep your gear in there, too.

I've got a 14' jon boat that I lean up against a wood privacy fence but I'd really like to get it off the ground so I can mow underneath it. I've been thinking about a couple supports that would come off the fence posts at a ~45 degree angle to rest it in. It would have to have some kind of a cradle at the bottom to hold it in and that's where I get stumped.

Here's a rendition of my idea. I'm wondering though if after time that would weaken those posts quicker than the others with the additional weight or not. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• Jon boat on fence.jpg
    Jon boat on fence.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 1,361

Latest posts