Concealed Carry

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishingCop said:
I carried several guns in my 30 years of law enforcement, ended up with the Glock 22 .40 S&W for the last 10 years. Carried it after retirement, but ended up leaving it in the car most of the time cause of size. Carried a Mauser hsc .380 off duty and after retirement. Going to sell that. Also had a pocket .25 for shorts/t-shirt weather. Sold two Colt Pythons, a 4" and a 2 1/2", going to sell the Mauser and .25 now too. Gave my son the Glock cause I promised him it was his when I didn't want it anymore.

So, I bought the Ruger LCP .380 for summer carry and the Ruger LC9 9mm for winter. Not like the Glock .40, but the 9mm is the same size as the Mauser .30 and the LCP .380 is the same size as the old .25 I carry in my pocket. For personal protection, they'll be fine - not a cop anymore so don't really need the stopping power/number of rounds nor distance shooting I needed on the job. Not going to be shooting anything except up very close for personal protection - ha, I hope???
BTW, Illinois is only one of two states that doesn't have some sort of concealed carry, along with Wisconsin, but I think I hear WI is now authorizing some form of CC carry?? Since I'm retired LE, I can carry anywhere in the US under Federal rules :)
Hopefully soon Illinois will join the rest of america.

FishingCop said:
I carried several guns in my 30 years of law enforcement, ended up with the Glock 22 .40 S&W for the last 10 years. Carried it after retirement, but ended up leaving it in the car most of the time cause of size. Carried a Mauser hsc .380 off duty and after retirement. Going to sell that. Also had a pocket .25 for shorts/t-shirt weather. Sold two Colt Pythons, a 4" and a 2 1/2", going to sell the Mauser and .25 now too. Gave my son the Glock cause I promised him it was his when I didn't want it anymore.

So, I bought the Ruger LCP .380 for summer carry and the Ruger LC9 9mm for winter. Not like the Glock .40, but the 9mm is the same size as the Mauser .30 and the LCP .380 is the same size as the old .25 I carry in my pocket. For personal protection, they'll be fine - not a cop anymore so don't really need the stopping power/number of rounds nor distance shooting I needed on the job. Not going to be shooting anything except up very close for personal protection - ha, I hope???
BTW, Illinois is only one of two states that doesn't have some sort of concealed carry, along with Wisconsin, but I think I hear WI is now authorizing some form of CC carry?? Since I'm retired LE, I can carry anywhere in the US under Federal rules :)

Not retired yet (soon) but I carry a 40 model 23 most/all of the the time - I look at it like this - sometimes it helps sometime it could hurt - if it's just me I'll go for it - but if family is involved a very last option (I will give them everything to save my family) + I will find you :) - Look at todays world if you stop someone you are still a bad guy which I do not care about under the right situation - Jail does not scare me spent most of my adult life there.

Carry where and when I can. Current is a S&W 39xx series - super easy to shoot, dead nuts reliable, and could double as a brick if pushed into service.

I love a metal gun - they just have soul to me - but I'm looking at something smaller for pocket carry. Will probably end up with a Sig .380, but something like the Solo would be awful nice.

wihil said:
Carry where and when I can. Current is a S&W 39xx series - super easy to shoot, dead nuts reliable, and could double as a brick if pushed into service.

I love a metal gun - they just have soul to me - but I'm looking at something smaller for pocket carry. Will probably end up with a Sig .380, but something like the Solo would be awful nice.

Before you buy a Sig, take a close look at the Ruger LCP .380.... You can't beat it for a pocket carry .380 IMO....

Taurus PT 24/7 .40, except when I go fishing... The Potomac River technically belongs to Maryland, and MD is ridiculous about concealed carry, I believe they require a recorded threat or restraining order or something like that to be eligible for a cc permit :evil:

catmansteve said:
Taurus PT 24/7 .40, except when I go fishing... The Potomac River technically belongs to Maryland, and MD is ridiculous about concealed carry, I believe they require a recorded threat or restraining order or something like that to be eligible for a cc permit :evil:

Yes, unfortunately, in some states, you have to beg permission from the government to exercise your Constitutional rights. What if you had to fill out paperwork and 'show good reason' to buy or possess a computer or typewriter, or maybe even a bible?

Wonder how that would sit with people? Well, if we ever lose the second amendment (and we will if the agent saboteur is re-elected....this health care BS is just the tip of the iceberg that is going to sink this ship) we will probably find out what it's like to have to ask permission to own a computer or a bible, or to exercise our other rights, such as the 4th amendment (that one is just about on the chopping block, as well) Because the right to keep and bear arms is what guarantees all the other freedoms.....that's why the founding fathers felt it was important enough to be #2 on the list (I think it should have been #1)

Bottom line......privileges are granted to slaves....rights are retained by free men.

Sorry for the rant.

Yes, unfortunately, in some states, you have to beg permission from the government to exercise your Constitutional rights. What if you had to fill out paperwork and 'show good reason' to buy or possess a computer or typewriter, or maybe even a bible?

Wonder how that would sit with people? Well, if we ever lose the second amendment (and we will if the agent saboteur is re-elected....this health care BS is just the tip of the iceberg that is going to sink this ship) we will probably find out what it's like to have to ask permission to own a computer or a bible, or to exercise our other rights, such as the 4th amendment (that one is just about on the chopping block, as well) Because the right to keep and bear arms is what guarantees all the other freedoms.....that's why the founding fathers felt it was important enough to be #2 on the list (I think it should have been #1)

Bottom line......privileges are granted to slaves....rights are retained by free men.

Sorry for the rant.[/quote]

This is good enough it needs to be repeated.

I second that
I have several friends that are police officers and most of them can't even carry in Maryland. I only know of one that can, and he is Air Force Security Forces, so he has a 50 state military privilege (there's that word again)

What gripes my grapes is that while on duty, uncle sam trusts a serviceman to carry hand grenades, automatic weapons, etc.....but while off duty, or once they leave the military, somehow, they're not trustworthy enough to be allowed to carry a pistol for personal protection. Does this make sense?

I've had a CC permit here in NH for years, but now they removed the requirement. There is still adavantages to having one, but I haven't looked into why yet. My EDC is a Kahr MK9 now. I'm so done with huge guns for carry these days.

Here's my OC gun.

popgun.jpg

I never go into the woods without her now, since we've had a ton of Mountain Lion sightings and coyote attacks around here lately. Fercrissakes, I swear its hard for a feller to get out on the river and fish a little without getting pestered by critters! :LOL2:

:shock: that's nice right there!! I carry a S&W Bodygaurd 380 in summer months but when it gets jacket weather I carry a Beretta PX4 subcompact in 40 cal. I love me some shootin!

Kibby said:
I've had a CC permit here in NH for years, but now they removed the requirement. There is still adavantages to having one, but I haven't looked into why yet. My EDC is a Kahr MK9 now. I'm so done with huge guns for carry these days.

Here's my OC gun.

popgun.jpg

I never go into the woods without her now, since we've had a ton of Mountain Lion sightings and coyote attacks around here lately. Fercrissakes, I swear its hard for a feller to get out on the river and fish a little without getting pestered by critters! :LOL2:
Having your permit/license lets you CC or open carry in other states that have agreed to accept your states permit/license.

Sorry for the rant.[/quote]

I could not agree more.....On a side note, I would volunteer again for the military if my country needed me. If tshtf as you put it...I will move back to my birth state Texas. We take protection of family and property very serious. If they try to take my guns I will exercise my 2nd amendment right.

What gripes my grapes is that while on duty, uncle sam trusts a serviceman to carry hand grenades, automatic weapons, etc.....but while off duty, or once they leave the military, somehow, they're not trustworthy enough to be allowed to carry a pistol for personal protection. Does this make sense?

AMEN!

When I was young and dumb at 18 I could carry belt-fed automatics. Now that I'm a bit older and a lot wiser (well, a bit wiser and...) I need permission to carry a gun?

Thank Goodness I live in PA, where as long as you have never had domestic violence issues or big time criminal behaviors, you can exercise your second amendment rights.

First thing i did when i got out of the air force and moved back to florida was file my paperwork for CC. I havent left the house without carrying for the last 5 years and never will. There are just too many crazies out there now. (people eating other peoples faces while growling like a dog in the street). I even carry an extra weapon in my truck now just in case. And for those that enter my home without permission..... You picked the wrong house. I have trained my wife how to handle a weapon as well as me.

catmansteve said:

Not anymore, on Aug, 7 Maryland is no longer a "may issue" state became a "shall issue" state. Unfortunately for us they do not issue out of state permits nor have reciprocity with WV yet. Hopefully soon.

I carry a XD40 anywhere and everywhere I can.