crossbow shopping

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was very happy with my first crossbow, i found a new Horton 150# draw on ebay for $200 just to see if i was going to like hunting with a crossbow. it got the job done on many occasions.

Just found something that I found to be interesting, and others have hit on it in a round about way.
Kinetic energy required for specific game.
<25 ft. lbs.- small game (rabbits, groundhogs, etc.)
25-41 ft. lbs.-medium game-(deer, antelope, etc.)
42-65 ft. lbs.-large game- (elk, black bear, wild boar, moose, etc.)
>65 ft. lbs.- toughest game (cape buffalo, grizzley, etc.)
SO: the Matrix 380, @ 112 ft. lbs. plus, should be able to take down a cape buffalo! NO ME!!! :lol:
This is right out of the Excalibur manual, so it verifies that you don't need a crazy fast, high poundage crossbow to get the job done on a deer, as others are also saying.
Just a little extra info.!

Jim,

To my knowledge, The Motor City Madman only shoots a longbow. = Pretty fair shot too, I hear.
(Before my shoulder/arm were damaged, I shot an English longbow made of Yew.)

Btw, the Bristol, TN craigslist had a NICE older Excalibur XB for sale for 400.oo this PM but it's G-O-N-E already. = GOOD used XBs, at a good price, don't last long on CL.

yours, satx

lovedr79,

Most any XB will kill WT deer/feral hog out to 40-50M (given a good quality arrow/broadhead), which is about the limit of most any "horizontal archer's" ability to take a deer/hog in the south Texas brush country.
(In a lot of our best hunting areas, you cannot SEE more than 20-30M, as the brush is THAT thick.)

Fwiw, my 1st cousin took an over 300# hog (live weight) with the Yukon SL at 46 long steps, using "the Texas heart shot". = The broadhead entered the hog just below the tail & exited his neck. - Not surprisingly, the hog went down GYD within one stride & never even "wiggled".

yours, satx

Jim,

As of now, 1900CDT 24SEP15, the La Crosse, WI craigslist has a Horton EXPLORER 150 for sale for 125.oo OBO.

The Explorer is quite similar to my Horton Yukon & at a GREAT price.

yours, satx

It is not the power of the bow, it is how you squint your eye !!
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/girl-takes-down-13foot-800pound-alligator-with-crossbow/35699000

There was also a 12yo girl a couple of years ago that did the same thing
here in FL . . . . I guess you just squint n shoot ?

Built up a bare Excalibur Exomax.
Missed two shots already....
Today dialing in an Excalibur Axiom I mounted a rangefinder on , if my new broadheads arrive in the mail.
I like both bows for ease of maintenance and durability.
The Exomax packs a heck of a wallop as indicated by the arrow still sticking out of a tree... #-o

Still shopping, feeling, playing. I do not have my "Paperwork" for season so far which is annoying. I might not be able to hunt with it until "Primitive" firearms season which is the 2 weeks at Christmas.

Just ordered the PSE Dream Season RDX 365 in skullworks camo can't wait to try it out - It will be replacing a very old Barnett rc-150

Attachments

• skullworks.jpg
    skullworks.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,000
  • skullworks 1.jpg
    skullworks 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,000