Deck Material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenHead870

Reaction score
Hello,
After looking at everyones different mods it seems that each one has its own style to it. I am looking to add on to my front deck 18" and have a three hatch setup, battery on each side and storage in the middle. I have an 1860 Alumacraft with an aluminum floor already installed. The sidewalls seem to have a cover over them hiding the ribs of the boat. So my question to you guys is how should i attach it to the boat? I have seen guys use rivets which would be nice since i dont have access to a welder. I dont want to go with wood because of the weight, i know the boat is plenty big enough to handle the weight but it is going to be getting a bowfishing deck soon. As far as material goes i saw that some people used angled aluminum and just riveted it together and seemed to work well. I am not for sure what to cover the deck with, should i just use sheet aluminum? Also what thickness metal should i go with? More then likely this area of the boat will get a lot of traffic from stepping up and down to the deck. I will take pictures as soon as i start the build, just need some inputs before i buy some material and start hacking stuff up. Thanks Guys/Gals

ZACK

hey zach, welcome aboard.

i know that you are eager to start your project, and it seems that you are looking to go with aluminum. i used plywood for my front decking on a 1436, and it was really easy to work with. i wouln't know how to going about the aluminum route. i will say that i pop-riveted all my brackets for the decking frame and it worked exceptional. could you post some photos of the area you would like to deck? i think that it would help the members get a visual for what you are facing, and i'm sure that you will get a lot of responses once they can see what you're looking at.

I know this is a very old thread & I hope you are still here. I am wanting to do the same thing. Did you ever extend the decking on your 1860 to get more storage space ? Thanks, Will

GreenHead870 said:
Hello,
After looking at everyones different mods it seems that each one has its own style to it. I am looking to add on to my front deck 18" and have a three hatch setup, battery on each side and storage in the middle. I have an 1860 Alumacraft with an aluminum floor already installed. The sidewalls seem to have a cover over them hiding the ribs of the boat. So my question to you guys is how should i attach it to the boat? I have seen guys use rivets which would be nice since i dont have access to a welder. I dont want to go with wood because of the weight, i know the boat is plenty big enough to handle the weight but it is going to be getting a bowfishing deck soon. As far as material goes i saw that some people used angled aluminum and just riveted it together and seemed to work well. I am not for sure what to cover the deck with, should i just use sheet aluminum? Also what thickness metal should i go with? More then likely this area of the boat will get a lot of traffic from stepping up and down to the deck. I will take pictures as soon as i start the build, just need some inputs before i buy some material and start hacking stuff up. Thanks Guys/Gals

ZACK

Just use high shear 1/4” rivets (need large A-frame rivet gun) to affix angle aluminum to the sides of the hull. Plywood is an easy choice, strong & reasonably lightweight when adequately supported.

Latest posts