Duck Boat Accident

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ppine said:
The fact that people on a boat forum can't agree that PFDs are always a good idea is shocking to me.

Hey Ppine-- I didn't read the post that way. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say everyone would agree life vests/PFDs are a good thing.

the damnable sin of indignant self-righteousness shows it's ugly face.i really hate armchair quarterbacks.it was a tragic accident.be thankful it wasn't you or your loved ones and save the blame for the authorities to decide.you weren't there.

If we don't address the safety issues that were not considered in this event, we are bound to repeat them.
I am not motivated by being right, I am motivated to help save lives.

Ducks run out here often, different lake, same duck owners. I've ridden a few times and it's a blast. BUT....what I noticed was that safety was not the #1 priority, and IMO should have been. Can't say if the Branson deal is the same way, never been on those. Seen them plenty of times though.

I live not far from there. I know how the weather is. If you're on the water, "it comes out of nowhere". Ducks don't stay on the water for very long, what 15-30 minutes? That means the "captains" are on land often. Dunno about y'all but I check the weather...via phone...and there's plenty of cell signal in the Branson area to check it. My boat's small 15' tin, so large swells and more than about 35 mph wind is a no-no for me. If I know the weather's anywhere near, like even a hundred miles or so out, I ain't going to the water. I have been caught in a storm a few times on a lake similar to Table Rock, it gets dangerous-especially in my little flat bottom much less an amphibious duck boat. Weather is not to be played with if you are boating. Even the big freighters tend to try to avoid it if possible. I'm not pointing a finger at the captain...rather I'm pointing out that each and every one of us has a responsibility to keep an eye on our surroundings for potentials. The weather is one of them.

Some are saying that there's no way to have avoided this. Bull. I watched that line of storms pass through Central Missouri, heading toward Arkansas..and I was thinking to myself the whole time, man we need the rain here. And we got some finally, but there was a side effect...wind. Some trees are down on people's houses, etc. If the captain of the duck boat had been paying attention to the weather, he'd have known that there was a line forming about 150 mi to his NW, heading SE at about 65mph. Or perhaps the captain underestimated the speed of the oncoming storm system; or perhaps he thought he could make it back to short with passengers before the storm came. Don't know. Again, I'm not pointing a finger at the captain, or the company, just stating that obviously we can all look back and say "we should have done this or that differently". Also, at the time, we didn't know who the captain was...nor did we know what was going through his/her mind, nor did we know of the condition of the vessel that he/she was in charge of. There were obviously a lot of unknowns. The weather was not one based on what I saw on my phone app's radar (radarscope).

Tragedy. Local family lost a loved one. I'm sure the lawyers are all over the victims' families already. They're very aggressive and I don't like it one bit how they'll take advantage of a grieving person/persons in the way that they do. Been through it myself in a vehicle accident where I was hit and within 24 hours I had over FIFTY (50) letters from different attorneys wanting me to take legal action. No lie. The mailbox was completely full and the letter carrier was putting letters in a box, left them on the front porch for me to pick up after I got home from work. I still have the letters to remind me who NOT to use if I ever have to use an attorney.

Thanks to turbotodd for the thoughts.
I think this whole incident stinks to high Heaven.

Lawyers representing the family that lost 9 members in the accident have filed a $100 million law suit.
They cite criminal negligence for ignoring the weather forecast, not asking passengers to put on life jackets and then lowering the plastic covering making escape much more difficult.