Evinrude 35 vs Etec 40- Worth the upgrade on a 16' V-bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth the upgrade for 5 HP?

• No - the weight difference is too much, will imbalance the boat.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes - It will still be faster and run just fine

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Neutral- Will probably not gain much speed, but might still be a nicer motor for other reasons.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
My boat looks similar and I have the same debate, me and the motor being in one place. Mine is rated for 40 but some of those are really heavy and it's hard to say if it's worth a gain in hp when adding so much weight. Whenever it's ready for the water I'm gonna try an older 40C Mariner which weighs right at 160 lbs. Should be more than enough on a 16 ft v hull. If it's too noisy I may go to a 30 4stroke.

You already own the new motor. What is the debate?! Slap that puppy on and decide for yourself. I fail to see why there are so many posts to discuss a hypothetical conclusion.

thedude said:
You already own the new motor. What is the debate?! Slap that puppy on and decide for yourself. I fail to see why there are so many posts to discuss a hypothetical conclusion.
Well, it's an interesting discussion, HP vs weight, with a variety of opinions and experiences coming in.

It's a lot of work, pulling off an engine, ripping out the controls, and then putting it all back.
I'd rather ask around FIRST, just in case it's not worth it.

So far, I've heard some compelling reasons on both sides of the discussion. And I appreciate all of the replies. I'm still listening, especially to those with boats similar to minee

Yeah I didn't read that thoroughly, lol. I agree, since you own it already, bolt that puppy on and give us a report!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

out of curiosity,i looked up the specs for your boat.rated for a 40,1300 weight cap and 900 lbs of people rating for your boat.i think you may be overthinking the weight of the motor over a 35,but that's just my opinion.ultimately,your boat,your decision.this is a 40 on a 14.5 ft. boat.3 group 31 batteries,full tank and a crap ton of gear.

Attachments

• 20180330_122135.jpg
    20180330_122135.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 883
You already own it, Just wait and try it out. But im sure once you have that etech on for a few hours it wont be coming off

Justaguy442 said:
You already own it... 'm sure once you have that etech on for a few hours it wont be coming off

After hearing all the responses, IF I can find a 30, I'll sell or swap this 40 to get it. So far, I've found zero on the used market. If not, I'll do the repairs, touch up the paint, take a deep breath and do the swap. Worst case, I'll put the 35 back on and still sell the Etec. I can silicone any holes I drill, if necessary.

It will be a couple of weeks, but I'll post my progress as it goes. First order of business is pulling the power head and replacing the steering arm bushing and bolts. Somehow, they got broken on this motor. Then, T/U paint and replace the decals. Then she will be ready to install.

In the meantime, I'm still listening, so feel free to post. But in the end, it seems that I mostly got 2 opinions:.
1) The weight will make the boat handle poorly, for only a couple MPH more speed or,
2) There will be a day versus night difference, and I'm going to love it.

I guess we will see. I really hope it's the latter!
Another thing I'm curious of is whether or not this engine will get better fuel economy, having so much more engine displacement. One of the videos someone posted above showed the 30 getting significantly better MPG in the same boat, although not reaching the same top speed.

I will post a detailed analysis of how it goes.

Thanks, everyone

If you want an idea how it will sit with the 40, put your boat in the water and put an extra 150 lbs on the back. A friend standing on the rear deck will give you an idea. If two of you can stand there and water isn't close to the top, I'd say you're golden. You can always shift some weight forward, battery, fuel. That 40 is going to have all kinds of jam over the old 35. Mostly torque, it ought to come out of the hole like it was shot from a cannon and you could probably fill the boat to full capacity and still haul. Top speed will be a bit higher, might.be able to pull a higher pitch prop, have to check rpm and see.

It will be VERY interesting to see if I get better fuel economy with the 40 Etec.

In that boat test video, the 30 Etec got 40% better fuel economy than the 40. For every 6 gallons, it takes 10 to push the 40. That's a HUGE difference! The 30 ran 26.4 MPH and the 40 ran 32.4 MPH WOT- 6 mph faster, but at quite the cost.

They attributed the higher fuel burn to the larger displacement. The 30 has 577 cc displacement, whereas the 40 has 863 cc displacement.
My 35 has 521 cc. It gets very good fuel economy at all speeds, but especially in the 20-22 MPH range.

I'm predicting that the 40 will not get as good a fuel economy overall, but it may be similar at 20 MPH, if I can stay out of the throttle. I'm thinking a 30 Etec will get better fuel economy at all speeds.

The more I look at it, the more I want a 30 Etec, versus the 40.

i may be wrong,but i think that is the first time anyone on tinboats has ever stated they want less power :LOL2: still,you cant argue fuel econony.

Somewhat off topic but I wouldn't mind a motor that uses more gasoline. I don't get on the water all that much anymore so gas sits around longer than it probably should.

water bouy said:
Somewhat off topic but I wouldn't mind a motor that uses more gasoline. I don't get on the water all that much anymore so gas sits around longer than it probably should.

I understand completely. Everything around here has ethanol. Even though I get out on a fairly routine basis and use Honda's fuel additive as recommended, I still worry about it.

Ha ha you are right!

I do want more power, but burning 40% more fuel is a bit crazy, especially since I only run a 6 gal tank.

Is there an Etec 35 or 40 that uses the smaller displacement engine?

Two 2 stroke 40s in good shape like this one can still be found. It weighs 160 lbs and were made by Yamaha. I bought a tiller handle off ebay and then waited until I found the motor which turned up in Roanoke. I expect it will fly.

QSlIdVIl.jpg

My mileage rule of thumb is one gallon per hour per 10 hp at wide open throttle. When I went from a 20 to a 35 I thought I'd see a big difference but turns out wide open throttle is considerably faster so it doesn't take as long. There is a difference but not as big as I had thought.
Bolt that 40 that you already own on the boat. Once you wipe that poop eating grin off your face, if the fuel economy is putting you in the poor house, I'm sure you can find a guy with a 30 who'd be happy to swap.

water bouy said:
Two 2 stroke 40s in good shape like this one can still be found. It weighs 160 lbs and were made by Yamaha. I bought a tiller handle off ebay and then waited until I found the motor which turned up in Roanoke. I expect it will fly.

QSlIdVIl.jpg
That's a good looking motor!

The selling point of the ETEC is "simiplicity"--specifically the engine itself.

However, simplicity goes out the window if you look at all of the garbage that is bolted TO the engine, just to make it run.

Secondly, they keep touting that it's a 2 stroke-and they are right, it is. But what they don't tell you is that it's heavier than a comparable 4 stroke. OTOH, the ETEC 40 is around 239 lb and the Yamaha around 215. Again, that's just OTOH--may be off a little so do your research. That's what gets me about ETEC. It's 40hp. So is a 4 stroke. The holeshot isn't much different if any at all (I couldn't tell any difference). The ones I have the most experience with are jet foot, though I've run some prop foots too. The jet is where you notice the big difference. A F40JEHA Yamaha is 1/8 the noise that an ETEC 40 is, and less weight too. From what the other guides say, also more reliable which doesn't make any sense when you consider the "simplicity" of the two stroke engine vs the "complexity" of the 4 stroke.

turbotodd said:
The selling point of the ETEC is "simiplicity"--specifically the engine itself.

However, simplicity goes out the window if you look at all of the garbage that is bolted TO the engine, just to make it run.

Secondly, they keep touting that it's a 2 stroke-and they are right, it is. But what they don't tell you is that it's heavier than a comparable 4 stroke. OTOH, the ETEC 40 is around 239 lb and the Yamaha around 215. Again, that's just OTOH--may be off a little so do your research. That's what gets me about ETEC. It's 40hp. So is a 4 stroke. The holeshot isn't much different if any at all (I couldn't tell any difference). The ones I have the most experience with are jet foot, though I've run some prop foots too. The jet is where you notice the big difference. A F40JEHA Yamaha is 1/8 the noise that an ETEC 40 is, and less weight too. From what the other guides say, also more reliable which doesn't make any sense when you consider the "simplicity" of the two stroke engine vs the "complexity" of the 4 stroke.
Having run etec snowmobiles, I have to say the technology is super. Clean burning, efficient, low smoke, 2 stroke torque etc. Tohatsu also has a 40 HP direct injected 2 stroke that would be worth a look if one was shopping.

I won't bad mouth the Yamaha because I believe it's a good motor. Honestly anything new these days is a good bet. However the Yamaha 40 and the Evinrude are 2 different animals. The Yamaha at 750 cc shares the platform with its 30 HP outboard. While the Evinrude with more than 100 cc extra displacement is part of the 40-50-60 family. Not only is it going to have more torque, everything else is heavier duty. Gearbox, engine case, crankshaft etc. It's not the electronic injection system that outweighs a four strokes valve train. Everything about that motor is designed to withstand 60 HP.
As for the 25lbs difference, if an additional 25 lbs is the breaking point that causes waves to come over the transom then the OP had probably stick with what he has.
That's why it was suggested to do a weight test on the water prior to swapping engines.
It's all moot anyway as he already owns the etec. We are just having fun discussing it while we wait for him to get his mule shifted outta neutral and do something to report back! Lol.

Ha ha, good point!
For the record, the extra fuel won't bankrupt me. (although it might restrict my trip distance) So let me explain my biggest concern...

I have a pretty sweet and safe ride. I take this boat on the Chesapeake Bay and out ocean inlets on occasion, and there are real swells there, not just chop. I have a 1200 GPH auto bilge pump just in case, but this boat floats so high in big waves, that I've never taken any water, besides some foam off a breaker. It literally floats over them like a cork.

Because I know this boat and my limits, I can keep a level of safety that I'm comfortable with.

But adding the weight of a second motor to my transom is concerning to me as to how it will affect the balance of the boat. If this boat gets too back-heavy, and goes Ker-Plunk at the bottom of a big swell... well, that would not be good.

So yes- I would rather sacrifice some power to keep my transom floating high, because of how I use the boat sometimes. The more I think about it, the more doubts I'm having. Especially since several owners of boats like mine are telling me to go with the 30.

IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN TRADING A 2008 ETEC 40 FOR A 30?

turbotodd said:
The holeshot isn't much different if any at all (I couldn't tell any difference).
The holeshot of the Etecs seem to be the best out there.

Take a look at this video that was posted by Weldor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvIw83uZgY

The little 30 Etec had more grunt than the 40 Yamaha and also got better fuel economy. And the 40 Etec walked away from everything else. But from what I understand, the 40 Etec is really a de-tuned 60, so it makes sense. When you compare it to other 60's, it's similar, weight-wise. But it's heavier than other 40's.

On my bigger boats, my Ficht Ram engines definitely outperform 4-strokes on my friend's similar boats. The only one that comes close or surpasses is a friend's supercharged Verado. That thing is a beast! But his is a 250 and mine is a 200, and his boat is lighter than mine, so it's hard to say exactly. That being said, he paid $20k for his, and I only paid $1,500 for mine...