Gluvit and Steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittonp83

Reaction score
So I'll be stripping the bottom of my jon boat this weekend. I've seen some of ya'll had the steelflex crack at the rivets before. Do you think if I Gluvit the rivet heads before Steelflexing the whole bottom maybe that will prevent the cracking due to slight movement or flexing? I'll be sealing all the rivets with Gluvit regardless, either do it at the head on the outside or strip it down at the ribs and seal them there. I'm just wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone doing it under the steelflex on the outside of the hull.

Thanks,
Britton

if anything, putting it on over gluvit would make the steelflex crack even worse because it would be able to flex more. cracking at a rivet indicates the rivet was moving, which means it should have been fixed before the steelflex went on anyway.

if you fix the loose rivets before putting the steelflex on, your boat isn't floppy (i.e. you didn't remove the center seats w/o adding support), and you follow Fasco's application instructions, you won't have any problems. the only place where the steelflex has come off of my boat in years of hard use is the keel where beaching on gravel has sanded it off.

Latest posts