Got another one.........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USSWormy

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1965 Feathercraft 14" with a livewell. This will be my 3rd. fixer upper, and plan to do a a serious overhaul / update. I will more that likely be asking you all for some input. I am still in the pre-planning / material gathering stage at the moment, but I will post pictures as they become available. Thanks in advance, Wormy.

Jim said:
Looking forward to the project! I would like to add it to the projects page. :beer:

Thanks Jim! I will post pictures as soon as possible, Hopefully, from start to finish. Looking forward to it as loong as the "honeydo" list doesn't get out of control.... :lol:

Well...... Started the teardown process this weekend, and stripped it of all the nuts, bolts, wiring and the like. Pic of the hull.........
IMG_0003.jpg

Started tearing out the old seats......
IMG_0004.jpg

This is the way it ended up.
IMG_0001.jpg

Getting ready to start some serious sanding and refinishing of the shell, so I will post them as I progress. Been really hot lately, so excuse if it takes awhile. Thanks to all.

Thanks for the replies folks!

No, probably gonna change the color to what my very first boat was (Tan & Brown) back in 1979. This is almost a duplicate hull configuration of the 62 Starcraft I had, but this one has a livewell. To tell you the truth, I have come full circle on boats ( '62 Starcraft, '91 Tracker Pro Deep V, '94 392 Ranger, '02 Tracker Grizzly). Bass Tournament Boats, Downriggers, Inshore set-ups, etc; I have pretty much run the gauntlet (except for high dollar off-shore) and have come to realize that I miss the relaxation and simplicity of "just plain fishin'". A decent small boat, 15Hp, trolling motor and a quality depth finder and I am good to go.........

P.S., besides, with the gas prices its hard to beat!

I just got hold of a Feather Craft 14' Fisher, almost the same as yours. Mine appears to be older, and in rougher shape. It doesn't have any of the transom wood in it at all, somebody along the way decided to replace it, took it apart, and then it sat maybe 10 years so I have little to go by. The only thing I haven't figured out is how thick the 2 pieces of wood are supposed to be. I'm thinking 3/4" each, 1 1/2" total. Could you measure yours and let me know? Much appreciated.

I'm also thinking of cutting out the front bench seat. How floppy did the hull get without the seat in there acting as a brace? Just wondering before I chop mine all up.

Looking forward to seeing how your boat turns out.

FishFry said:
I just got hold of a Feather Craft 14' Fisher, almost the same as yours. Mine appears to be older, and in rougher shape. It doesn't have any of the transom wood in it at all, somebody along the way decided to replace it, took it apart, and then it sat maybe 10 years so I have little to go by. The only thing I haven't figured out is how thick the 2 pieces of wood are supposed to be. I'm thinking 3/4" each, 1 1/2" total. Could you measure yours and let me know? Much appreciated.

I'm also thinking of cutting out the front bench seat. How floppy did the hull get without the seat in there acting as a brace? Just wondering before I chop mine all up.

Looking forward to seeing how your boat turns out.

Hello Fishfry, sorry for not getting back to you. Been on vacation!
My Transom wood was 1 1/2", so you should be good. I also put a 3/16 " thick piece of plate aluminum on the entire outside of the transom to stiffen it up as well. Worked like a charm! As far as the seats go, mine was still pretty stiff when taken out., but I wanted to brace the floor ribs to make it a flat surface. I used some 1" square aluminum tubing welded to each one of the ribs up front for floor support. that turned out to be the ticket, as it made it really rigid.

I will post pics of where I am at now (and I apologize for not posting pics after welding everything in). I am through with painting, and putting the flooring and wiring in, and will carpet it this evening. hope to get the pictures posted tomorrow.

(P.S. it turned out better than I had hoped for!)

About 90% complete, still have to run lights, electronics, bow trolling motor and cover the battery storage in the bow. Hopefully have complete this week, and on the water by Saturday (if all goes well.) I am liking it!

Wow...

I wish a had a boat like that, are you selling it ?

Can you show pictures of before/after...

Latest posts