Grandpa's 12ft john boats' rebirth

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trailer is all painted up, other than a few touch-ups i will do once I get it put back together. I also hooked up the ligghts yesterday and they are functional. I had a problem with the ground because the tongue of the trailer is removable and I was getting good enough connection between the two parts of the trailer. I just ended up running a ground with a piece pf wire to ensure a good ground. The paint on my trailer hasn't set up the best. I had it warm in the garage while painting, but when I would leave for work I had to put the fire out and it didn't allow my paint to dry enought. Today I have the wood burner going and a space heater from work. I willl probably have to put the heat to it again tomorrow to make sure it sets up hard. My boat is still at the welders.........lone story. All I can say is that I know he is going to be cheap and that he is going to do an excellent job, I don't mind waiting for that. I also got the bearings packed and the hubs all put back together and the axle back on the trailer, bought bearing covers as well. I will be putting the trailer back together today and tomorrow. Using stainless fasteners as much as possible.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,734
gmiller said:
Here are some pictures of my trailer, $200, all it really needs is lights, but I am repacking the bearings, getting bearing covers, and going to re-paint it, it is a little long, the guy I bought it off of hauled a 16ft boat with it, but it will work for now, I can cut the tongue down if I want. I am 90% done with the grinding, going to try and paint it on Thursday. I plan on getting my boat back from the welders this weekend, I know he is going to have it looking great! I will keep you guys posted.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nice. I wouldn't cut down the tongue unless it becomes a problem. That extra length can help at shallow boat launches.

The tongue was a little mangled so I ended up cutting a foot off of it. That was a good point jasper about unloading it at a shallow ramp. I still left myself plenty of trailer for my 12 ft boat.

I have a steel flex question. Should I apply the steel flex before I begin modifying my boat, or shouuld I wait until I am done with the mod to apply. The only reason I was thinking about waiting was because I wanted to be done banging around in the boat before I applied the steel flex. Is that necessary, or will it be to much of a pain to flip the boat over and steel flex with the added weight?

Believe it or not my boat is still at the welders. Almost a month. He made it sound like it would be a snap and now it seems as if he is having a little trouble and that he hasn't done much anyways. It's a bit upsetting. I wish he would have been a little more honest and up front about how long it would take before he took the boat.

Keep up the good work ,really nice to see that you are keeping this one alive.

Latest posts