How to Stop Boat Screws From Vibrating Out

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all my years of using goop, I never saw it turn brown, even below the waterline. 25 years back when they finnished building my home, the last piece of siding at the peak was held in place with " goop" ....according to the builder they had been using this stuff for years. Well, my piece is still glued in place, is still clear, and no sign of letting go. I have tried the e6000 but find it thinner and more runny, doesn't hang on to verticle surfaces well. Just my experience, I do prefer the goop, but just my preference
That is interesting. What state do you live in? Are you pretty far north?

Working on boats a lot, I've had to cut off a lot of amber brown Goop that customers used in various locations. I would never use it below the waterline. I'm pretty sure it's sunlight that does that to Goop, but it could be something else on boats that does that to it. I'm not sure, but it's not good.

You are correct in that, that E6000 is not as thick as Goop. You don't need to smear huge globs of it all over your work. There may be times where that is a disadvantage, but I'm not sure when.

E6000 can be used in several ways, notably as a contact cement. You smear a thin coat on both parts, let it dry until tacky and then press together. On clean surfaces, it is quite strong, but not destructively so, like 3M 5200 can be. It works very well on fabric repairs, like patching bimini tops or boat covers. I haven't seen anything that works better for that. And it is impervious to sunlight, which is pretty important here in the south.

Then, of course, it also works well as a sealant or caulk, or for putting on screws before driving them in. I use it a lot when doing installs, around dashboards, doors and hatches, and around other installed fixtures.

That being said, there are places that Goop works better, in fixing shoes, in particular. You just slather that stuff in there, and once it really dries, it works on most shoes. It works in other places, too but I strongly recommend not using it in strong, direct sunlight.

Slightly different tools. Kind of like the difference between a jigsaw and a Sawzall. Both have their places.

Live in northern Ohio, your comments were the first, I ever heard about it turning amber/ brown, guess it caught me off gard. The trim piece on my siding has been exposed to mother nature for 25 years and is held on with goop, so...what is causing the color change ??? Dang if I know..I have only used the E6000 once when mounting my cab on my side by side for winter snowplowing. The goop was gone on the store shelves so I tried the E6000. I needed a glue to stick to the plastic body panels. Used what goop I had left the switched over to the E6000 to finnish the job.
By the end of that following summer, the area with the E glue all let loose, while the goop was still holding. Now...that is just one instance, who can say if that is the normal....just my experience, the goop has never failed me so far !!

I may have the answer. "Goop" comes in like a half dozen different types. I've not seen much difference in consistency, but seems to me the other types are different colors right out of the tube. That would account for differences in color after it dries. I just stick with the shoe goo, because it seems to work on everything. It pretty much permanently attaches anything rubbery to anything else. When dry the consistency is also similar to that of prop hubs which is reason enough to keep a tube around.

GOOP & E6000. Seems they are made by the same company. Both are supposed to be very good. The main differences seem to be GOOP is thicker and stays flexible. E6000 is thinner and dries harder.

And that folks is the sum total of my knowledge courtesy of Google University! :)

Interesting discussion.

I think Goop is very good for certain things. I always used marine goop on boats. It dries clear, but after a year or so, the sun beats it to death, turning it dark brown and coming off. Can't have that, so I stopped using it in boats. I used shoe goop once, and it worked well.

E6000 likes a very clean surface. I almost always use a shot of brake parts cleaner on a rag to wipe areas before sealing, with very good results. But if not clean, the bond isn't nearly as good. But when it is, it's very strong. The black and white stay true, and the clear is all-purpose. Have never had it turn colors in the decade or so I've been using it.

There is another product that I use with good success called "Stick and Seal" by Loctite. It is much "stickier" than E6000. Very good stuff. I use that in places I would normally use Goop.

I've had 3M weatherstrip adhesive work where goop failed. Have used the orange stuff and the black. Always keep a tube of it around.

Since this thread is totally off the rails, what you guys using as a general spray lubricant? I still find uses for WD40 and white grease, but white grease gets gunky with age. Have some other stuff called Super Lube or something like that. Not impressive.

I've had 3M weatherstrip adhesive work where goop failed. Have used the orange stuff and the black. Always keep a tube of it around.

Since this thread is totally off the rails, what you guys using as a general spray lubricant? I still find uses for WD40 and white grease, but white grease gets gunky with age. Have some other stuff called Super Lube or something like that. Not impressive.

I don't use spray lubicants a lot. I have on hand WD40, silicone spray, and might still have some tri-flow.

That stuff all sounds good. Might buy a can of each.

Interesting discussion.

I think Goop is very good for certain things. I always used marine goop on boats. It dries clear, but after a year or so, the sun beats it to death, turning it dark brown and coming off. Can't have that, so I stopped using it in boats. I used shoe goop once, and it worked well.

E6000 likes a very clean surface. I almost always use a shot of brake parts cleaner on a rag to wipe areas before sealing, with very good results. But if not clean, the bond isn't nearly as good. But when it is, it's very strong. The black and white stay true, and the clear is all-purpose. Have never had it turn colors in the decade or so I've been using it.

There is another product that I use with good success called "Stick and Seal" by Loctite. It is much "stickier" than E6000. Very good stuff. I use that in places I would normally use Goop.
Just wondering if the salt in the air might be causing the goop to turn brown ? I haven't saw that but we have no salt water anywhere near. Hmmm..

It is possible. I really don't know but I eventually stopped using Goop altogether a number of years ago. I have white, black and clear E6000 on my slelves at all times. The black is really good when installing switches and electronics. I haven't seen it on the shelves lately, so I've been using it very sparingly!

It is possible. I really don't know but I eventually stopped using Goop altogether a number of years ago. I have white, black and clear E6000 on my slelves at all times. The black is really good when installing switches and electronics. I haven't seen it on the shelves lately, so I've been using it very sparingly!
I have used the E 6000 before, worked ok but much thinner so if not used on a verticle surface works great. Never saw anything but clear...hmm...gonna have to look around.
I have a winter enclosure for my side x side that uses HD velcro to attach. Some of the velcro attaches to the plastic body. The plastic on those panels is a material that nothing except goop sticks to. Same with an old plastic boat ( sportyak). Nothing but goop seems to stick.

I have a new to me 1986 Lund 18' Deep V. The screws vibrate out of the wood during trailering and boating. I've considered adding bees wax, using a drop of liquid nails or maybe using DAP caulk on the screws. I don't want to do anything permanent that would prevent removing the screws for a repair. What is the best way to fix this?
I use the tip of wire ties in the screw holes, they will not rot like wood. Insert your screw then cut off the rest for the next hole.