I need some advise

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellio5

Reaction score
Hi all...I've been thinking about it the last few days and came to the conclusion I'm way behind the times when it comes to this electronic stuff. Can anyone tell me if there is an affordable way to get into the Lake Master/Navionics chips with out selling one of my kids. I have a small 14' alumium with a 15HP Evinrude so I'm not running and gunning big lakes and I'm not fishing dozens of lakes around the state. There are several lakes around the city here I like to fish so I'm wondering if these products would even be helpful. Can anyone give me some advise on the type of unit I should look at for a resonable price and then I can decide on what type of chip I'd want to go with.

I do not have any, nor do I use them.

But, if I were looking for what you are looking for, I'd be posting WANT TO BUY adv's in every local and national fishing site I could find, including this one.

There is some guy out there who wants a bigger better unit. He will sell his present unit for a lot less than you can buy a new one. You just have to be able, somehow, to check out the seller and his merchandise. People buy used boats and motors daily, why not fishfinders?

regards, Rich

In my opinion the mapping things are useless for small lakes, now gps is awesome, but no need for the mapping chips that i see.

Alright here is what I ended up doing. After alot of searching browsing reading and thinking I ended up buying a Garmin 1450 portable GPS and the LakeMaster Chip for it. The unit cost $134.99 plus the $20 two year complete warranty and the card was $99.00 plus tax...it's pretty sweet...gps,lakemaster,mph and many many other options and the screen is 5"....plenty big enough to look at while navigating the lake and roads...not bad I have to say.

Nice buy. I was going to suggest the app for your phone. It would be the cheapest way to get the maps and not buy extra equipment (provided you already had a smart phone)

I was going to do the app thing for my phone but the screen size/battery life where going to be an issue...granted I could plug it in and run it off my deep cycle but the screen size put me over the edge...on top of that I'd have to take that phone with me every time I went fishing and my wife wouldn't be happy with that. Usually I use the older of the two phones....it's a good trade off to keep her happy though.

Latest posts