if you had to choose 3 rifles...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
craveman85 said:
Lets say for some reason or another you can only have 3 rifles not including rimfire for the rest off your life. What would be your 3 calibers be and what rifles.
9mm Carbine: Whatever I could get that took hi-cap mags, probably Glock ... just to match the pistol. Oh, you didn't ask about sidearms :wink: .

Reasoning: Match the smaller, handy carbine to the pistol I'd be carrying for CQB and basic handy self-defense. ... as 223s indoors are LOUD :shock: , plus all in the family, even youths, can be trained w/ the small carbine.

7.62x39mm semi-auto Maybe in the AR platform, like the Rock River LAR-47.

Reasoning:. Ammo availability! And decent accuracy in the right rifle. My AR in that caliber, w/ a HBAR barrel and JP Enterprises adjustable gas block, shoots close to 1 MOA w/ good ammo. Using good PMC softpoints (deer load), it has printed 3-shot groups of 1.5" at 175-yards.

Bolt Action 308 I'm partial to the looks of the wood Win Model 70 Featherweights, w/ the fancy fleur de lis checkering and schnable forend.

Reasoning: Ubiquitous ammo one could find anywhere and powerful enough, in the right hands, for anything I'd ever need it for.

craveman85 said:
Lets say for some reason or another you can only have 3 rifles not including rimfire for the rest off your life. What would be your 3 calibers be and what rifles.

Well if we're picking from what we own I guess I'd have to go with these.

The top one is a Winchester model 43 Deluxe in 22 Hornet.
The middle is a pre war Winchester Model 70 in 270 cal. Love the mauser action, smooth as silk.
These two guns and I have something in common. We were all born in 1952. :mrgreen:
The bottom is a Remington model 700 black powder in 50 cal.

If I lived in a place where I could hunt elk or bear I'd probably own a 30-06, but as it is the black powder would mean more food on the table during other hunting seasons. If it were a lifetime choice and we weren't limited to rifles, I'd drop the black powder in favor of one of my shotguns.

These are both Beretta model A L2's, 12ga and 20ga. I love the lighter 20ga for squirrel but if we're talking a lifetime with only one pick, it would have to be the 12ga for the added knockdown power.

Of course if we were going with fantasy picks, it would be a whole nother ball game. :shock: