Is my Endura 55 Repairable?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish4thriLLs

Reaction score
I have a Minn Kota Endura 55 trolling motor that's in great condition except for one thing. While we were out in my Lowe 16' Big Jon last weekend bouncing around on Nolin Lake, I happened to notice that the prop on the trolling motor was separated from the motor housing and you could see the shaft. I tried to push it back down but couldn't. I tried turning it on and it won't spin. The prop itself isn't loose and it didn't slip off the end of the shaft. I keep the motor mounted on the bow of my boat with the prop in the down position during all transport.

When I used the motor before this happened, I would have to turn the blade by hand before it would come on but just for the first time out for the day on the water and after that it would work well for awhile.

Is this repairable or should I junk it? A buddy of mine has given me another trolling motor that he wasn't using so I can take a chance on fixing the 55 Endura if it's worth trying.

Here's some pics of it:

BoatPicsandMattsB-dayatNolin002.jpg

BoatPicsandMattsB-dayatNolin003.jpg

BoatPicsandMattsB-dayatNolin004.jpg

Looks like the armature slid out passed brushes. If take it to service center I am sure they can fix it. I do not know what it would need for parts. Depends if armature is worn or bushing that holds it is bad. Also if any damage has been done to brushes. Guessing it does not turn because brushes are binding on armature wires. So be careful not to let it turn to minimize chance of any more damage.
I just had new armature and brushed installed on my Minn Kota Maxxum 70# 24v for $220.

I talked to technician at Minnkota repair center today about your problem. He said there is a retainer clip that holds armature in place that must have come out. He thought yes it did come out past brush assembly being you can not move it or push it back. Said you would have to for sure get new seal kit, plus it would not have done any good on armature and brushes, highly possible those would have to be replaced also.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Thanks especially for talking to the Minn Kota people.

I wonder if it possibly vibrated out from running on rough water and with the prop in the down position? I wonder if it would be okay to run my new-to-me Endura 36 in the same manner, with prop in the down position? This was the first time I've ever had this happen but I'm kinda apprehensive about doing it again for fear of it happening again.

By "down", do you mean the shaft was simply vertical or the shaft was horizontal with the prop facing down?

If it's pricey to repair:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26994

fish4thriLLs said:
I wonder if it possibly vibrated out from running on rough water and with the prop in the down position?

The reason I asked "how" was simply because I have never heard of anyone doing this. Hope you can find an inexpensive fix!

fish4thriLLs said:
I have a Minn Kota Endura 55 trolling motor that's in great condition except for one thing. While we were out in my Lowe 16' Big Jon last weekend bouncing around on Nolin Lake, I happened to notice that the prop on the trolling motor was separated from the motor housing and you could see the shaft. I tried to push it back down but couldn't. I tried turning it on and it won't spin. The prop itself isn't loose and it didn't slip off the end of the shaft. I keep the motor mounted on the bow of my boat with the prop in the down position during all transport.

When I used the motor before this happened, I would have to turn the blade by hand before it would come on but just for the first time out for the day on the water and after that it would work well for

I had the same trolling motor on my last 2 boats and towed them thousands of miles with no problems. But I stowed the motors in a horizontal position. Since you had to turn the prop by hand to start it I think that the damage was probably done while towing. Just my $.02s I hope you are able to fix it.

earl60446 said:
fish4thriLLs said:
So, could it be harmful to my tr. motor to transport it in this manner?

No way that should cause damage.

Tim
I respectively disagree. In my opinion, most of the boats on this site, excluding the jet guys, take more of a pounding while being trailered than they do in the water. With the trolling motor in that position the armature is pounding against the keeper while you are towing. I would tow with the motor stowed 90 degrees or 180 degrees from where it is in the picture.

gillhunter said:
earl60446 said:
fish4thriLLs said:

Tim
I respectively disagree. In my opinion, most of the boats on this site, excluding the jet guys, take more of a pounding while being trailered than they do in the water. With the trolling motor in that position the armature is pounding against the keeper while you are towing. I would tow with the motor stowed 90 degrees or 180 degrees from where it is in the picture.

Yep, we completely disagree.

lovedr79 said:
umm yup! i am stealing that idea! i love the PVC pipe and bungee cord, alot simpler than what i was going to do.

I'm not seeing how that PVC pipe rig is keeping the prop in the "up" position. Is it just to keep the motor from bouncing while underway?

fish4thriLLs said:
lovedr79 said:
umm yup! i am stealing that idea! i love the PVC pipe and bungee cord, alot simpler than what i was going to do.

I'm not seeing how that PVC pipe rig is keeping the prop in the "up" position. Is it just to keep the motor from bouncing while underway?

I turn the prop "up", as close to the mount as possible and tighten the tensioner as tight as I can. The rig is to keep the motor from bouncing while trailering.

gillhunter said:
earl60446 said:
fish4thriLLs said:

Tim

Help me out here. How would a 90º or 180º turn help?

Latest posts