is this johnson worth it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure you can, have some confidence in yourself :D It is really not that hard to do. And don't be afraid of buying Mercs, Yamaha, or any of the major brands. There are many others on here and other sites that are very knowledgeable about all these brands. A good site for motor info and knowledge is iboats.com, there is a ton of experience on that site and a lot of good guys. Just do happens a couple of OMC guys answered to your post. If you would have posted a question about a Merc I may not have even answered to this post since I have little experience with them.

Found a motor i liked. A Johnson mid 80's
But its 20" shaft. my transom measures 16"
So I guess its not right one. Is that correct.

Good motor..... I happen to own a 85' 30hp myself. Was the first year of the prop rated HP for OMC. What is the guy asking for it?
DSCN6755.JPG

Wound up getting that motor for $350. Its 30 Hp Johnson mid eighties . I do have one concern though.
When I move the prop there seems to be play in and out. Not sure if this is normal
or something that is wrong. Compression 125 ln both sides and carb was cleaned
Its remote steering which I wanted. But pull start :( the cover was in pretty bad shape but he had a evinrude
25 cover that fit.

flajsh said:
Wound up getting that motor for $350. Its 30 Hp Johnson mid eighties . I do have one concern though.
When I move the prop there seems to be play in and out. Not sure if this is normal
or something that is wrong. Compression 125 ln both sides and carb was cleaned
Its remote steering which I wanted. But pull start :( the cover was in pretty bad shape but he had a evinrude
25 cover that fit.

Congrats. =D>
$350 is still a great price, even for rope start.
Electric start can easily be added if you have the gear toothed
fly wheel.

I just checked my motors and there's not much noticeable
movement as you say.
Sounds like your prop nut just needs to be tightened
a little. Might as well take it off and clean/lube the prop shaft
while you're at it.
Give it a new water pump impeller, change the gear case lube
and replace with new fill/drain washer/seals.
And be sure to run it 50:1 fuel mix.

Again, congrats and enjoy your new motor.
Let's see some pics.

May be missing the prop nut spacer? And the hood is no big deal as long as the serial number matches what the guy told you he sold you. Yeah lets gets some pics up so we can see OUR new motor :mrgreen: You are part of the J/E family now =D>

Thanks guys. I'm excited finally getting it. Already started sanding cover.rainy weather so cant work on boat.
ill get pics up soon as I can.controls that came with boat should hopefully work.I was told it was from evinrude.

Ok. I want to paint this motor. I did a search for Johnson paint and it led me to Jamestown dist.
saw the paint in rattle cans for my motor but it seems to be just for the metal part of motor.
is this correct because I didn't see any paint for the hood.

Already got decals picked out. The ones with Usa flag and Johnson going through it.
man I hope my wife never finds all my reciepts. Ill be sleeping in the boat. [-o<

Ok if you want it original johnson white (oyster white) then yes I believe the only way to get it is in rattle can. If you decide to buy it over the internet and have it shipped it is going to cost a pretty penny (been there done that). Minimum I would order 3 cans of final coat. They make special johnson primer also.

But I will never order the johnson oyster white again, to much hassle and it is just not worth the money to match original. I go to the local hardware store and get self etching primer. Works best on bare metal but I have just painted over the spots where it was to hard to sand and it stuck just fine. Then I just get some good off white spray paint that does well in outdoors/water. Then get ya some clear coat or spar varnish. I noticed the spar will yellow the white and it will come out real close to the original oyster color. And I painted the hoods and all with the same paint. All has held up really well...... and I don't have to order paint to match anymore. Only a johnson nutcase like myself will ever know it isn't true johnson oyster white :lol:

DSCN6406.JPG
DSCN6384.JPG

Johny25
I feel myself getting a little nutty so I know how you feel. Your motor looks awesome.
I will take your advise and not order it, but for the hood will any primer do.
Everyone on here has been very helpful.

Yeah I sprayed my hood with the same self etching primer and it has held up fine. It is all in the prep though....... a great prep job makes for a great paint job

I totally missed this thread, congrats on the new/used motor....that thirty will push you just fine.....Hey here is a thought. Why dont you paint the motor to match the boat color? I am thinking of doing mine that way....I don't really care about the original decals although I do like the seahorse. I am thinking a nice tinboat sticker right on the cowling would be better than the black decals that are on there now..hmmmmm always changing my mind..... :? I could see making that motor look original if it was vintage.

bigwave said:
I totally missed this thread, congrats on the new/used motor....that thirty will push you just fine.....Hey here is a thought. Why dont you paint the motor to match the boat color? I am thinking of doing mine that way....I don't really care about the original decals although I do like the seahorse. I am thinking a nice tinboat sticker right on the cowling would be better than the black decals that are on there now..hmmmmm always changing my mind..... :? I could see making that motor look original if it was vintage.
I'm always changing my mind on things reguarding the tin. I'm gonna do paint as close as I can the way jony25
suggested. Its a long shaft but f4f helping me out with a jack plate for it.
big hell yeah to the tin boat sticker somewhere.

Hey one more thing....when we get our mods done, I was thinking of taking a trip this summer to 10,000 islands down in everglades city.....gonna be a hard one to pull off with the misses since she hates bugs. The last time I was there they had these little half trailers with screen porches and kitchen all the girly stuff.....Maybe we could get fish4fool and a few more to meet there and have a weekend of fishing and family. The fishing there is killer....and it is right by lake ocochobee.......i want to catch a 10lb bass in florida.......I do plan on coming up your way too, or maybe even crystal river for a weekend. That is the whole reason I am doing my boat....cheap to pull,run, and have fun.

Here is a pic of motor. Sorry took so long. Need to take some more.
Only thing I did so far was paint the cowl.
Model # 35el78r
Serial # e4895478
Can anyone tell me year and if its a 30 HP like I was
Told.

Attachments

• IMAG0594.jpg
    IMAG0594.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 483
flajsh said:
Here is a pic of motor. Sorry took so long. Need to take some more.
Only thing I did so far was paint the cowl.
Model # 35el78r
Serial # e4895478
Can anyone tell me year and if its a 30 HP like I was
Told.

Per the model number, it's a 1978 35 hp Johnson...
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1978&hp=35&model=35EL78R

So yes you really have about a 30hp..... in 78 they rated at the flywheel so prop HP was around 30hp for a 35hp. Good solid motor :)

Latest posts