is this johnson worth it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. He told me mid 80's but I guess it doesn't matter.
As long as it s a good motor.
Also I don't have it secured down yet, I have to find the
Clamp bolts somewhere. But I can't get it to tilt. I found
Two different levers but it won't tilt. Can anyone help with
What may be wrong, hope its not a major fix.

IDK about your motor but on my Merc, you have to put it in forward in order for the lockdown to release and allow you to tilt/raise the motor.

flajsh said:

The lift lever may be broken, not allowing it to release the pin. You may have to do it by hand, reaching up under where the large trim pin is and lifting the latch over top of the pin so it can tilt up.

Johny25 said:
flajsh said:

The lift lever may be broken, not allowing it to release the pin. You may have to do it by hand, reaching up under where the large trim pin is and lifting the latch over top of the pin so it can tilt up.

I noticed there isn't a pin to keep it tilted once I get it tilted. Can one be picked up at west marine or some
Store like it.

I also noticed by the serial # that motor should or was electric start. I wonder if a guy with no experience
with outboards can make it electric start.

Get some pics up of the motor with the hood off, and also some of the tilt mechanism area and we can help a little more. Yes you can make it back into an electric start but it usually costs a few hundred bucks to get the bracket, starter, solenoid, start button and cables.

F4f was kind enough to give me a mobi jack plate for my motor.
So I got the urge to start it up for the first time since I got it
But I couldn't get it to go
So I have a few embarrassing questions. There are a button and a button that goes
In and out. If I remember right the button on right shuts motor off.
And I think one on right should be open when pulling rope.
Is that correct.

Also the second pic should that have three positions.
Rev, forwardand neutral, because I only think its two.
Sorry pics in wrong order.

Attachments

• IMAG0619.jpg
    IMAG0619.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 411
  • IMAG0622.jpg
    IMAG0622.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 411
Yes the shifter has three positions. Straight up is N, back is R and forward is F. Sometimes you have to move the prop one way or another to get it to shift properly when not running.

The button on the left is the kill switch and the knob on the right is the choke. You may have to shoot a little fuel into the carb to get her started if she has sat for awhile 50:1. Did the guy you bought it from say the motor ran? And from the pics I see it does not look like this was an electric start #-o

This thing driving me nuts. Started up first pull today.
Didn't want to stay running at idle so opened it up and ran
For awhile but when I took it back down to try to let it
Idle it died, then wouldn't start.
Not sure what to do next ?
Rebuild fuel pump and lines.

If it keeps running while you pump the ball on the gas tank then it is a sure sign the fuel pump is bad. Or if you have to pump the ball each time to get it started is another sign

Johny25 said:
If it keeps running while you pump the ball on the gas tank then it is a sure sign the fuel pump is bad. Or if you have to pump the ball each time to get it started is another sign
I had a small Merc that was doing exactly that. It turned out to be an air leak in the fuel line where it connected to the motor. So don't rule out that possibility.

Pull all your lines off, take them to the auto parts store so you can match the sizes and replace all of them for around $10 bucks. I do this on any of my older motors that I suspect still have original fuel lines.

Johny25 said:
Pull all your lines off, take them to the auto parts store so you can match the sizes and replace all of them for around $10 bucks. I do this on any of my older motors that I suspect still have original fuel lines.
I guess ill do that this weekend. I wanna get this thing running so I can finish my flooring on boat.

Did carb rebuild kit and cleaned. Did fuel pump rebuild and changed fuel lines. Got interrupted quite a bit by the kids
while doing pump. Is there anyway to test it cause motor still not starting. Thinking I may have messed up fuel pump.

So it is not even starting now? Spray some fuel directly down the carb and see if she fires. Work backward from there if it fires up.

Haven't been able to work on boat or motor much. But here is where I'm at. New plugs and wires. New fuel lines
cleaned carbon. Checked spark and I have spark and compression good. Getting fuel out of fuel pump but still not
Starting. Sprayed some carbon cleaner in carbon and tried to start. No go. Have next four days off and would like to at least get started. Don't know what else to do. Also fuel is good. Primer bub and line are good.

Need help.

flajsh said:
Haven't been able to work on boat or motor much. But here is where I'm at. New plugs and wires. New fuel lines
cleaned carbon. Checked spark and I have spark and compression good. Getting fuel out of fuel pump but still not
Starting. Sprayed some carbon cleaner in carbon and tried to start. No go. Have next four days off and would like to at least get started. Don't know what else to do. Also fuel is good. Primer bub and line are good.

Need help.

Never use carb cleaner or starter fluid for starting a 2 stroke. Mix up some fuel (50:1) and put in a spray bottle then spray down the carb throat.

jasper60103 said:
flajsh said:

Need help.

Never use carb cleaner or starter fluid for starting a 2 stroke. Mix up some fuel (50:1) and put in a spray bottle then spray down the carb throat.

Cannot agree more Jasper^ Open the choke butterfly and spray a little bit of 50:1 directly into the intake. If it does not fire up at all then you need to look at spark next. Or did we already check that? Sorry, so many threads going on I cannot remember what we are doing on this one lol.

Latest posts