Just got my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socal399

Reaction score
Newb here guys so please be gentle! As i am learning! so after doing some shore fresh water fishing and seeing everyone catch bigger fish on a boat here in SoCal I decided to get a fishing boat. It's a little old but it's a start! I got it in Craigslist from a guy who had all the original paper work! It's a 1961 14ft valco with trailer nd a 7.5 4 stroke Honda outboard and a 35 lb trolling motor! What do u think.any tips please tell me

Before
166fb7ae.jpg

No after scoping these forms out for the past month or two I couldn't wait to start on it
9b48b8c2.jpg

0a538273.jpg

And after a little paint today here she is
f730e6aa.jpg

Thanks guys im so excited! I love the curves as well reminds me of an out 50s car!oh and @spotco2 u mention that the curves make it more stable? What do u think about flooring?

Socal399 said:
@spotco2 u mention that the curves make it more stable? What do u think about flooring?

Personally I'm a big fan of flooring, but not in those boats because there are no voids under the ribs for water to run towards the back of the boat. You could always build it up flat using spacers with gaps so that water could get past them, but you would still have the possibility of moisture being trapped under the floor creating mold, mildew or even rot if you used wood.

We had an old Monarch (same hull design) that had carpet strips glued to the floor in between the ribs. It made the floor cool and quiet but kept any moisture from being trapped.

:WELCOME: That is one cool old boat. I like the old style fins on the back......I see the batboat in the making.......Make sure you take lots of pictures and you will get all the help you need right here.

Nice boat and paint job! I like the color pattern. I am planning something similar in color on my beast.

Thanks guys I ended up building a front and rear compartment and redid the bench seats with new wood and carpet looks great! But didnt do a floor. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345956958.027340.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1345956984.635277.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345957014.459413.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345957049.711613.jpg
Thanks guys I have learned a lot on these forums! I so appreciate all the great ideas and mods people post!

Took her out today and I have 3 leaky rivets but that's all
Also have to tune the outboard a little
I believe just have to adjust the idle!
I also want to add a stereo but have to find some room for it!
And a fish finder eventually!
Any other ideas guys

Does anyone know if I can get a new capacity plate or know what the stats of my boat are. The last owner must have removed it

Socal399 said:
Does anyone know if I can get a new capacity plate or know what the stats of my boat are. The last owner must have removed it
Im trying to figure out the same thing! I just put up a thread in boat house about it.

Hopefully someone out there can help us then!!
I just got this seat for 20 bucks cash, from Craigslist! The guy was leavin the state trying to get away from his wife! Haha! It's Rated for up to 300lbs so it's a bit wider than the oher ones I have but I like it and for the price I think I got a good deal!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346278616.394067.jpg

Nice job =D> . Put some fenders on that trailer so you don't stone chip that great paint job! I would put a sonar unit on it before a stereo, but that's just me. :LOL2:

gillhunter said:
Nice job =D> . Put some fenders on that trailer so you don't stone chip that great paint job! I would put a sonar unit on it before a stereo, but that's just me. :LOL2:

Yea that was what I was thinking sonar unit with gps maybe! But defiantly before stereo! I'm trying to talk the girl friend into it for my bday! Lol! But thank u I love the paint colors as well! Just went and picked up my pedestal mount for the front seat at Walmart so can't wait to see it bolted on!

Any idea how long a 3 gallon fuel tank will last running my 1970 something! Honda 4stroke 7.5hp outboard?

spotco2 said:
I'd carry a spare 3 gallons along for the first few rides until you figure it out.

Okay that sounds like a great idea. E
Was thinking of getting a 6 gallon and just use the 3 gallon that the boat came with as backup! Any ideas where I can pick up one at a good price. The 6 gallon that is

I would just pick up a normal gas tank to have as spare. And then that way if your truck ran out of gas you could use it.

Latest posts