just wondering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drum

Reaction score
I got a 10' aluminum sears jon boat, I am new to boating, and figured it would be good for the river,
after repairs and floating, the or method is tiring to say the least . are there any thoughs on what size trolling motor I should use.
and how to make rod holders, and still be in waight limit for two people?

thank you Mr. Simon I was thinking a thirty pound, but being new to boating it is best to ask.
any idea's on what type of rod holders, or should I make my own .

thanks lovedr79, I got the registration numbers yesterday, and was told the trolling motor needed a title as well.
thay do that here in texas, I don't know if it is for the money or if thay get stolen a lot.

I picked up a 32lbs. thrust used from the pawn shop, now what to do about lighting, I have some red tail lights, I was thinking intior lites .
but not shure.

For mine I added a pole light on the rear and your standard bow light. I made brackets out of some flat bar that I bent and bolted the bow light on and ran wires back to the tm and made another bracket for a single switch to turn lights on. I also used quick connects for the tm wires and the light wires since I would haul it in the back of ny truck. So the battery came out for loading.

thanks lovedr79, I know I need the red and green bow, and the pole light on the sturn, and battery placement,
is something I was thinking about as well because I like the fact of shallow draft and the 350lbs. limit I need to stay in.

starting to wire it , and was thinking balance, with the trolling motor in the back. my thoughs of battery in the middle or front, as well as the ancore .
i'm not to shure still on how to setup my swich box and lighs yet for safety.

thanks captain Ahab, I thought about that and to say texas , to be more on spot as to where i'm at , we call it medina county.
see I have to travel bexar county to fish, and Wilson as well when I go to the lake close by, as medina lake is closed due to low water level.
and I have not thought about the coast, or the flats with my 10' jon boat yet.

thanks lovedr79, I have not seen much on 10' jon boats here when I look through the post's , I was just wondering if it is to small .
after all i'm new to boating and did want some thing I can put in the truck and go.

drum said:
thanks lovedr79, I have not seen much on 10' jon boats here when I look through the post's , I was just wondering if it is to small .
after all i'm new to boating and did want some thing I can put in the truck and go.

Depending on the size of you and fellow fisher it might be fine. The 10's tend to be a bit narrow and it may or may not be tippy. I suggest you try it with paddles in fairly shallow water the first time out. I don't think you will be dancing on the seats. :)

Two people its not too bad. I have done several float trips down the shenandoah in mine. Once with a 250 lb dude up front! We did fine. I had two rod holders on the transom and two conduit clips on the front bench. The 10' I bought just for the truck. Very manageable for one man to load. Back way down the ramp! With the tail gate down I would almost have the end in the water. Take the tm, battery and tackle box out and it is a sinch

thanks colbyt , I did that when I fixed the leaks, that is when I rembered the 350 lb. limit
so I know with me at 212 lb. with out gear, I know the other person can be no more that 100 lb.
then gear, so it becomes a one person boat with battery fish finder and trolling motor and gear.
just right for the river where it is narrow and shallow and trees under the surface .

Mine did fine. We also had a big cooler of beer. It was a 7 mile float. We stopped using the canoe after flipping it a couple times. Big man and another man in little canoe didn't work. You will be suprised at what that little boat will do and where ot will go.

thanks colbyt, I did the oar thing when I fixed the leaks. then I realized the 350 lb. limit.
me at 212 lb. with out gear, so this 10' jon boat is a one person boat with trolling motor, battery and fish finder and gear.
but it is perfect for the river.

thank you colbyt, as the 350lb. limit is the key as I am212lb. with out gear, and when you take in to the fact of battery and trolling motor and fish finder. the other person has to be real light. as it is the perfect one person boat for the river.

Latest posts