Kill Switch ? I don't need no stinkin kill switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my very first personal experience with an undercover wildlife officer
was when I was down in Key West, FL snorkeling "for fun" not gathering seashells
or bagging lobsters . . . just swimming around with a friend.
this guy in plain clothes walks up to us and wanted to know where he can catch
grouper or snapper..... the chat continues then goes into the area of "where can he snorkel"
for lobster . . . we told him there are lobster, grouper and snapper all over the Keys.
you just have to ensure everything you harvest is within the law . . .. (in the Keys, it is illegal to spear anything within one mile of shore).
he grins and says "good answer" and walks off.
A month later, I see this same guy in a grocery store in Full Dress Greens !!!
complete with badge, hat, sunglasses and a gun . . . we just smiled at each other and that was that.

on a sad note: one of my Navy shipmates retired in Key West and went to work with the
Florida Marine Patrol . . . couple of years later, I read in the paper where he was arrested for
accepting a $50,000.00 bribe to "not" patrol a certain stretch of islands...... so you never know who you are talking with.

Here in South Florida visual presence is nada. If they were there, they'd be checking licenses, size / bag limits, and stopping the idiots I see on the water all the time. Nope, they are NOT here plain clothes or in uniform.

happened to a friend. took another friends jon boat out for a joy ride. him and some guy that i didnt know. the owner was sleeping, the friend figured it would be ok to run up the river without him. they thought it would be fun to jump a barge wake. well they jumped it alright, the wind caught the jon boat dumped them out. boat owner was greeted by his aunt on the beach "you need to call your dad and oh the coast guard needs to talk to you". called his dad because USCG called him to report his/sons boat was 10 miles down the river doing circles with no one in it. unfortunately the guy i didnt know didnt swim well and didnt listen to the driver. unfortunately he drowned. ALWAYS use the kill switch.

Stumpalump said:
Stumpalump said:
CMOS said:
1. I came across this very scenario about 8 years ago - with the driver still in the water. We picked up the driver, then as best I could, matched the spin of his boat. He was able to jump on his boat and shut her down. Risky, indeed, but he was willing to try it. BTW - his kill switch was not attached to his arm/leg as it should have been.

2. This past week on Lake Conroe (north of Houston) there was a horrible accident in which both parents were killed, while the 12 year old daughter was on board but only suffered minor injuries. Th short version is: bass boat fishermen (2) were speeding back to the ramp for a weigh-in, in the dark, but apparently could not distinguish the difference between the other boat's running lights and the lake houses porch lights. They were going far too fast for the conditions - and almost cut the other boat in half. BOTH parents killed. Breaks my heart: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...ghter-injured-after-boat-crash-on-lake-conroe

We need everyone back at the boat ramps safe.

CMOS

Only a bunch of stupid rednecks would combine bass fishing with racing. How come they don't have to call it a race and go by the rules that other racing sanctions have to go by?

Well.....those and the rednecks that combine duck hunting with racing. Happens every single day of duck season on public hunting lands here. The race starts at 4:30am, in the dark obviously. I agree, though, that they get too involved with this whole tournament thing, so much that they're sacrificing safety. That was another reason I quit doing it. Some of the people operating those 80+ mph boats have no business with a drivers' license, much less have any business operating a boat of any kind.

Heart breaking story. My heart and prayers go out to the family and friends affected. Especially for the young child who will suffer the most

The stupid redneck comments probably aren't needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk