Leaky gas connect

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezdrama

Reaction score
My boat came with a 6 gal tank and ive noticed the tank leaks from the quick connect fitting.
The tank has a threaded hole that a plastic adapter threads in, then the quick connect is threaded to that. Ive tried replacing the worn seals with new o rings and it still leaks at the tank to plastic adapter and plastic adapter to quick connect seals.

I bought a new tank/quick connect/ and gassline that i also spliced in and installed a gas filter in the gas hose right past the primer bulb (is this right?)

The new tank works fine and no leaks but its only a 3 gal and changed my mind and think the 6 gallon is better for a long day on the water.

Any ideas on how to fix the leak? I tried removing the plastic adapter from the new tank but it doesnt seem to come off so i dont think its threaded. I dont know why they designed these for needing the plastic adapter... it would be less prone to leaks if the quick connect threaded directly to the tank and the gas pickup tube to the bottom of the quick connect.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Pic of old tank... can see its wet around the connection port

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406298210820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406298210820.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,009
Do you have thread sealer on fittings? Ive always used ptfe tape that you can get in any plumbing section and its worked fine.

I didnt know if i could use the white teflon or needed the yellow for gas fittings

Use the stuff that says its for gas fittings. Its thicker than the stuff for water fittings but im sure there are other diffrences between the two.

DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE!!! You will be hating life in short order. The combination of ethanol in modern gas and your 2 stroke oil (if you use premix) will turn it into a gelatinous blob that will block your jets in a hurry (I've seen PTFE tape wipe out a $30,000 hydraulic pump by plugging up an orifice). Permatex and Loctite both have thread sealants that are engineered to work with fuel systems. Also, with an O-ring fitting, you should never need a thread sealant.

That said, check the threads on your adapter and make sure they are nice and sharp - plastic threads have a tendency to wear over time and gain a little too much clearance on the fit. If they are dull and rounded, you can tap it to the next size up and put in a bushing, or put in a helical insert (Helicoil).

Buying the Helicoil kit or a pipe tap can be kind of pricey, but you can take the tank to a local machine shop and they'll probably charge somewhere around $10-15 to tap it or put in an insert.

Another option if you aren't too concerned about perfection is to just epoxy around the connections. Again, buy a good automotive grade epoxy (JB Weld is one of the best) and clean the hell out of the surfaces with emery cloth and brake cleaner.

Thanks for the heads up, a buddy also told me to plumbers tape it but i didnt because i was worried about it breaking down and causing damage.

I have some jb weld that is white and waterproof marine grade that i used to seal my tranaducer bracket... i might look into using that or ill go get a gas rated permatex silicone from the auto store... thanks

It's my opinion that using any type of tape on the threads of fuel fittings is a no-no. Seen WAY too many carbs that have had jets plugged (or floats sticking) due to tape that's entered the fuel system. Just not worth the risk, IMO.

If the fitting threads into plastic, it'll seal up on it's own without any help.

Seen more than one cheapie plastic fuel tank leak. That's why I will not sell the aftermarket ones, only OEM ones. They cost just a fraction more, but are exponentially better in quality than ANY aftermarket portable tank. But I also know that it's tough to find an OEM fuel tank for older motors, and that sometimes throws a curve.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361017#p361017 said:
deezdrama » 25 Jul 2014, 20:28[/url]"]Thanks for the heads up, a buddy also told me to plumbers tape it but i didnt because i was worried about it breaking down and causing damage.

I have some jb weld that is white and waterproof marine grade that i used to seal my tranaducer bracket... i might look into using that or ill go get a gas rated permatex silicone from the auto store... thanks

You don't want to use silicone - it absolutely won't adhere properly to the plastic, regardless of prep.

The JB marine Weld should work fine.

Well.... looks like the tank is screwed, i took a closer look and the threading on the tank has a split running up the whole length of it. Guess ill have to make do with the 3 gal and a premixed extra 3 gal reserve container thats premixed

Those 6 gallon tanks can be had real cheap. I think they are $20 at Academy here. Probably can order one online too.

Well... got it all epoxied and not leaking, then found out the evinrude quick connect itself leaks when the hose is not connected, too late to swap it out now as its encapsulated in jb waterweld epoxy.
Oh well.... its just for out of town/large lake trips

Latest posts