Life lesson learned, please read boaters.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^that is exactly what happened to me, I was on the outside of the swing.not a good place to be! Thanks everyone for supporting this thread. I hope it helps others be safer when enjoying the water.

Bowhunter,

Not to sound like a creeper, but you were in my dreams last night.....

I read this post yesterday evening and then had a very realistic dream about being in the water pulled around by my boat trying to avoid the propeller. I will forever be wearing a PFD when alone in my boat at the bare minimum, and I'll be looking around at lanyard switches later today...

Hopefully your story has made an impact on others too, you could have saved a life. So to anyone who says we waste too much time on the internet, you can tell them about how you're actually saving lives. haha!

BH, thank you for the post.

I'll be putting a Kill Switch Lanyard on my 15 HP as soon as it's done.

While I am here: Does the kill switch simply ground one of the wires that go to the front panel Kill Button? In other words, when the switch is thrown it grounds that circuit, correct?

CMOS

Correct. Take your new kill switch and splice it into the wire that is coming from your power pack or electronic module on it's way to your regular stop switch/button. Tie the other end of your new kill switch to the engine ground and you should be all set.

Just make sure you've got the lanyard in place before pulling your rope. You can pull a bunch of times before realizing that you've forgotten it :)

So glad to hear you are ok and thank you for being candid enough to share this with everyone. :beer:

I'll bet someone who reads this will have been the type of person who didn't wear the pfd or thought this fluky **** only happens to people who are drunk or drooling on themselves stupid.

That would be terrifying. Whether you were lucky or blessed to escape serious injury, thank you for sharing your experience.

I was recently gifted my grandpa's 1436 from my uncle. It only has a 5hp and had been fished on a still creek before, so never saw lanyard used, it's still wrapped around carry handle.

I've been taking it out on the lake and already got caught in some high winds coming back that had me pretty worried. I'll be untangling that lanyard to hook up tomorrow morning even though calm water.

Bowhunter, you're VERY lucky! Glad you were able to keep your wits about you and make it out alive. However, had it been during the winter, the sudden shock of cold water would likely have produced a different outcome.

Since I had encephalitis last year, being on the water is different than it used to be. Because of the fact that I had a seizure with that illness, and I am on Depakote, I'm really not supposed to be by myself on the water. Even though I only had 2 seizures on the day I was admitted to the ER, and no more since then, because it was viral encephalitis, there is a chance that seizures could develop later on. I hope that prognosis is wrong.....I've managed to defy all the other odds so far.

In the winter time, I am always wearing a type 3 PFD float coat, and a kill switch. Unfortunately, in the summer, I'm a little more lax about it, and rarely wear any kind of PFD or a kill switch. Both my boats are console steering, but even so, I really should get into the habit, especially after reading about your near-miss, and even more so because of my medical condition.

I've done it too.. Fortunately I wasn't thrown overboard.. But yeah, driving down the lake, decided to swing my leg over the bench, next thing you know I'm doing high speed donuts.. Quick thinking and I threw myself down to the floor of the boat, got my bearings and slowed the motor down.. I was by myself, so I had a PFD on... But the motor was old school - no lanyard.

Scary story man. Glad to hear your ok. I am so paranoid of forgetting the lanyard that I do it a little different than everyone else. I have a pfd with a thick and strong 2 inch ring on a strap in the front left side. It is stitched in good so it is not going anywhere. I clip the lanyard to it. I pull it off the motor when I stop to fish and keep it attached to me. Obviously I need to put it back to start the boat so I can't forget to be attached to it or to wear my pfd.

All this because even after having outboards for so many years they still scare the gajeepas out of me.

Thanks for the reminder. I've been better at wearing my PFD, but I need a new kill switch lanyard, the old one is dry rotted and I'm not sure it would even work.

I'll be picking one up tonight on my way home. Thanks.

Looks like I'll be converting my push button only kill switch to a safety key version.

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear your alright.

I've been there as well. A small 14' Grumman that was maxed with a 15 hp longshaft. Boat was scary fast, even 2 people probably went 25mph. We were on it's maiden voyage for the year after getting stickers and such. Big lake in NH called lake Winnisquam. Probably early June, but we were lucky enough to have a freak 90 degree day. Hauling full throttle in an area known for cross currents and took a small wave at just the wrong time. Water washed over the left gunwale and dragged the boat, the driver (I was the passenger) went off balance and lost the tiller handle and in we both went. Boat luckily went a few hundred yards before it started the circles of death at full throttle. We were probably a half mile from one shoreline and a mile from another. 62 degree water, no lifevests on. Lucky for us some locals were entertaining on their dock, saw our trouble and came to our rescue. A big pontoon boat and a jet ski or whatever you call the ones that are sit down- personal watercraft? He was able to jockey his way to the side of the boat and his passenger on the back managed to grab the tiller and stop it. Motor was an 85 and did not have a provision for a tether. Both the captain and myself have grown up on the water and as we all say "know better." Well, we don't. I now use the tether even in my boat with a side console. Things happen fast on the water.

A friend went home to a class reunion to learn that 3 of his town's leaders had drown and none of the 3 had on vests. Now my friend keeps a PDF in the driver's seat with the kill switch lanyard attached to it. The PFD goes on before the motor starts.

My awaking was sliding down a slick bank into deep water and almost not being able to get a hold of any thing to be able to pull my self out. Now I own a variety of life vests.

I figure I can only be lucky once.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It takes a Big Man to admit to his mistakes, and an even BIGGER MAN to tell about it. A fool? No Sir, you are no fool.....a fool would not have learned from it, and shared it so as to help others. You have my utmost respect. :USA1:

I've contemplated adding a kill switch to the old boat and motor I'm restoring. You just made up my mind. THANK YOU! We have no idea how this old boat and motor are going to handle. We've never ridden in her. Better safe than sorry.

Yes indeed, my friend, give thanks to Almighty God! [-o<

THANK YOU!