Link for Boat Modifications! Please post yours!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be updating the list soon, get your projects in or if you find dead links/projects, post them here so I can do some house cleaning.

Thanks folks!

Jim

all projects updated in the first post! :beer:

If I missed one or want to add yours, post JUST the link here and I will get to it. Please do not post your projects or pictures in this link here.

If your project is a work in progress and you have not done anything to it in awhile (money, Weather, no time) Please at least update your post so the readers know you have not fallen off the planet.

Also if you come along an old post with the pictures/links missing, send me a PM so I can either try to fix it or remove it. I don't want this resource to become stale.

Thanks Guys! :beer:

Hey guys I picked up the 1967 fiberglass boat for free about a month ago and a trailer for a hundred dollars which I rebuilt to fit this boat. I have cleaned up the boat and bought a mini Kota 55 lbs thrust for it. I have been using it for the last few weeks and am going to use it until I've over in October then I will start the rebuild. Below I will post pictures. This will be my first boat, boat rebuild. I would like to remove the entire blue frame on top with the closed bow. However I am a little worried about supporting the hill once this is removed. Hopefully you guys will have some great ideas! So far this site has been super helpful in giving me great ideas.

14' Valco deep v conversion Complete w/ pics
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32024

This is my first project. I will post pictures as soon as I can find the cord for my camera. Its a early 70's Sea King that my girlfriends dad had at our cabin on Halfmoon lake near Dexter, Mi for over 20 years. The bow and transom seams weep a bit but I can keep it in the water and pump it out when I fish on weekends without worrying about it sinking. On some rainy weeks it could amount to several hundred gallons of water. I had to replace the transom brace and boards to accommodate the 15HP Evinrude Fast Twin I bought from a buddy for $100. I added the bilge pump to clear out the water to save me from having to pull it to the shore every week. My girlfriend wants it to still be a "rowboat" so her 10y/o son can take it out if he likes so I'm not going to remove the center seat.
The motor runs great after I replaced the water pump and rebuilt the carburetor. This boat with 2 200+ pound guys and all of our fishing gear was moving along at 25-30 mph at WOT. Plenty of power there. I plan on putting in a front deck, floor between seats, wiring for all of the electronics, platform for front trolling motor, rear deck, and fishing seats. The rivets are all intact so far. Its not too beat up. I think for paint ill just use self etching paint on the outer hull. Seal the seams with resin sealer from the boat shop near my shop. Not sure if I'm going to paint the interior yet. I have been checking out other boat projects for ideas.

Attachments

• GEDC0700.JPG
    GEDC0700.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,467
Will be updating the list this week. Please add your project link here if progress is being made.

If you come across any dead link (without pictures) let me know also so I can remove the links.

Thanks,
Jim

20131116_132029 FINISHED DECK FRAMING.jpgHave a 1962 16ft foot Starcaraft. Have just finished installing rear fishing deck framework. Next is the deck but, I want to install doors for the gas tank area, battery area, and general storage area. Can't seem to wrap my mind around the best way to do this and not destoy the integrity of the deck. Probably simple but, I want to do it right the forst time and not waste time or material. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20131116_132018  FINISHED DECK FRAMING.jpg
    20131116_132018 FINISHED DECK FRAMING.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,389
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32652#p334795

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 2,335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 2,335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,335
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 2,335
I got this vessel from my dad who bought it in 1972. Engine has less than 50 hours on it and I recently had it fully tuned... (1972 EVINRUDE SPORTWIN 9.5hp outboard is light, fast, and legal on almost every body of water). Boat is a 12' v aluminum body. I took it down to the metal, and re-built an entirely new, all aluminum, riveted casting deck with two very large storage hatches, as well as two top of the line bass seats from Bass Pro Shops. Also added a Motorguide FOUR 743 12volt 43lbs thrust trolling motor with fresh bearings and brand new speedo. Including a brand new battery, Attwood fuel tank and Igloo cooler, all tastefully placed in the reconfigured aluminum casting deck. Also added LED lighting fore and aft that lights up the hatch areas beautifully at night. Entire length of boat is lined in foam rubber and has plenty of rod and tackle storage below the deck. Includes a matching removable front seat and post to handle two seated or to act as a perfect casting deck for bass casting and unencumbered fly fishing.

I am an architect and I took my time to hand-build the casting deck with aluminum truss work and rivets every couple inches. You'll be amazed at how light and stiff this vessel is. New drain plug. And the EZ LOADER trailer is in perfect shape. Brake lights, perfect tires and very solid.

Clean title on both the boat and the trailer. Ready to have you in her and out on any water you wish. Perfect for all types of fishing, especially fly fishing, drifting, and trolling.

Hate to sell her but it's time she brought a new tradition to a new family, and for generations to come... she won't rot, rust, or wear out... she just goes on and on. Happy holidays. Treat yourself to an excellent, compact, efficient boat that won't take up a lot of space, can be towed with just about anything... (I towed it with a VW Passat), and it will take you and a buddy safely out to your favorite fishin' hole.

Call with any questions. Hoping to find the best home for her as she's served us well, indeed.

This was a 4-month renovation of sweat and heart and a lot of cash, but you get to simply hitch up and drive it away. Don't wait. Somebody's gonna claim her.

Bob
916.541.8659 =D>

Attachments

• imageedit_3_6558549307.jpg
    imageedit_3_6558549307.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 2,290
  • imageedit_5_6868758760.jpg
    imageedit_5_6868758760.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 2,290
  • imageedit_7_7016205526.jpg
    imageedit_7_7016205526.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1 (3).PNG
    photo 1 (3).PNG
    271.7 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 2 (2).PNG
    photo 2 (2).PNG
    256.6 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 3 (4).PNG
    photo 3 (4).PNG
    225.3 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1 (1).PNG
    photo 1 (1).PNG
    260.9 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 2 (3).PNG
    photo 2 (3).PNG
    266.1 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 3 (2).PNG
    photo 3 (2).PNG
    214.3 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    225.4 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 3 (3).PNG
    photo 3 (3).PNG
    256.4 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    238 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1 (4).PNG
    photo 1 (4).PNG
    206 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    201.5 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 2 (4).PNG
    photo 2 (4).PNG
    232.1 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 2 (1).PNG
    photo 2 (1).PNG
    247.7 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    201.5 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 3 (1).PNG
    photo 3 (1).PNG
    294.3 KB · Views: 2,290
  • photo 1 (2).PNG
    photo 1 (2).PNG
    282.4 KB · Views: 2,290
Hey all, how’s it going? My name is Dave... I'm relatively new to the site (I've been visiting and re-visiting now for a few months, and I have finally decided to register). Anyways I picked up a trailered 1977 14' Mirrocraft w/ a 25 HP Johnson the other day, and I'm excited to start customizing her to fit my needs. After methodically reading through posts and posts I've come across many thoughtful ideas, now I'm trying to determine what it is that I NEED on my boat. I’ve been designing and contemplating ideas for a couple of months now and am in need of some advice…

1) I’d like to have a forward casting deck… I do like the look of carpeted plywood but since wood will eventually rot out while exposed to the elements, I was thinking as long as I’m doing a serious makeover why not make it last… instead of wood I was thinking aluminum
diamond plate? Are there any concerns I should be worried about when using this material … other then cost!

2) The next thing I'm curious about is a simple bunk… Have any of you ever spent the night out on the water in a boat this size?
If so please share your stories!! (I thoroughly enjoy camping, however shore camping on public lands seems to be frowned upon in WI;
regulations seriously lack in the DNR rulebooks) ...Due to disability and the unavailability to work, my uncle used to spend
weeks on his john boat, fishing pike during the day, and cats at night while floating around and camping...
(although he caught hell from the law and was once brought to a police station, none of his actions ever ended with a citation)

3) This last summer I spent quite a bit of time on the lake fishing from a simple 14’ shallow vee build… After only a few hours on the drink I had some serious sunburn!! My solution… a bimini top? A quick question about them though, how fast can you travel with them erect? I have no idea how fast my boat goes, if I had to guess I’d say 25-maybe 30 mph???

4) The next thought is an anchor system, I was thinking about a manual winch system (like found on boat trailers) hooked up to an anchor… I hate the idea of rope lying around the deck while the anchor wasn’t in use… why not rig up an anchor on a winch---> while not in use the rope would be neatly stowed around the spool, and when in use you could easily lock the spool to secure the boat from drifting… also the retrieval process of the anchor would be almost effortless. Any of you have any advice on the topic??

Well thanks in advance for your help you guys, I'll try and get some pictures this weekend to give you an idea of what I’m working with.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.