Lone Star 1956 Restore

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stressiswhenLOGO.giffurries-05.pngI'm not sure on your horn. It may well not disassemble any farther. The contacts are similar to old auto ignition points. Sometimes cleaned with heavy paper or ignition file pulled through them. Or dollar bill.
Some automotive ones had a diaphragm(like a metal plate mounted with a pin through it's center?) that vibrated. A "clunk" instead of a beep was a sign trouble was brewing and sometimes adjusting could help if bugs or wasp nest's, rust on the edge ect .were not deadening it. Not sure I'd soak it, maybe compressed air could blow any residue out.
A single screw, with more of a knob type head,(the thick round headed one in your pic with flat head kind..maybe) could be turned/adjusted to allow diaphragm to vibrate more or less. That adjustment screw sticks out from the horn with lots of threads showing usually.
Improper adjustment would result in horn not working if no vibration allowed (screw in too far, or backed out too far and not making proper contact), and tone changing as screw was loosened or tightened after contact was how to adjust.. Little travel in it's length required between too tight and too loose. Not much tension required and a loose screw could benefit from a tiny amount of med. strength loc-tite/thread locker. Even with threads wiped after dabbing them so not to get any on any critical part(s).
If you pulled that adjustment screw out that would keep it from working, among other possibilities.

Thanks Waterwaif! I understand the diagrams, and understand what you are saying. Yes Sir, the adjustment screw is out right now, as I have it all apart. When I tried it on the lawnmower battery, all was still together, except the back was off. However, I did not try adjusting that screw, as it did not make any kind of noise. I will try that and see what happens. I have not soaked it, yet. In fact, I have just about decided to just put it back on and leave it alone. If I try to use a punch it will mess up the threads. If I try to pry on it, it will mess up the case.

Upon further research, I did see one out of the case so I know it does come out. The guy stated that the wires on the inside had rusted/worn and were not connected. He replaced the wires on the inside, and it worked. :p Common sense tells me it is not getting connection, somewhere. Perhaps just the adjustment screw. :?: That might have to be a "winter" thing.

On one of the bolts on the mounting bracket, it had a nut that was rusted and "welded" on the bolt. I had to use my Drimmel to cut it off, but I did. :) Replaced both nuts and bolts with SS.

Oh, one other thing; I did in fact find out it is a 12v. The older Spartons that were on Model A's were 6v. I also found out I can send it to a company in Nashville for refurbishment, but that's $$$. :shock:

Thank you again for sharing your info. I truly, truly appreciate you! =D> I have saved your post to my hard drive for printing and reference.

The hubby says I need to put one of those loud horns on her that plays "Southern". What is it....Revellee? (misspelled) :LOL2: He also has a set of trumpets that came off a semi that are air. Believe me, they are LOUD! :LOL2: He custom made a small, carry along, air tank for them. They get used on 4th of July, regularly. :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
M

Well guys,

Hubby tested the horn for me again yesterday. It has a direct short, so obviously the wires on the inside are rusted/broken. I got it all put back together today. I will just mount it back on the bow, for now. Thanks again for the info Waterwaif. :)

Hubby was going to help me with the transom today but I couldn't. The ole' back is acting up, again. :x I guess I over worked it a little too much, too fast. Perhaps tomorrow. 8)

The Transom IS IN!

As Madea says, "Hallaluyur and Thank The Lort"!!! :LOL2:

I helped Hubby bucked all the rivets in this morning. I will drill the wood and put the nuts and bolts in this afternoon. (and the handles that go on the back). The horn is back on her bow as well. Ordered her a spot light yesterday to replace the one that is missing.

Another step forward! :D

Gotta figure out an aluminum top cap piece for the transom. #-o
6.30.2015 transoma.jpg6.30.2015 transomb.jpg6.30.2015 transomc.jpg6.30.2015 transomd.jpg6.30.2015 transome.jpg6.30.2015 transomf.jpg

Shoedawg said:
This boat is looking really good. I love the style. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thank you Shoedawg! I appreciate your comments. :)

It's been a long haul, but she's gettin' there. :wink:

Back dash is in, with the help of our 10 year old granddaughter today. =D> (No, that's not a scratch on it. A bird decided to "mark" it just before I took the pics :x ). Will tarp her after tomorrow.

Finished with the nuts and bolts across the back. I do have the nuts and bolts that go in the plate on the back, I just don't have the plate. :? Hubby says I'm going to have to improvise and go with some "C" channel for the cap and add a plate of aluminum on the outside, and about 4" on the inside (depending where the motor clamps go). I'll take that advice. 8)

Stained and urethaned the driver seat. More coats tomorrow.

Steering wheel ready to go on. Will bolt back on tomorrow.

Remote box taken apart and cleaned. I lubed with oil, but really needs some gear oil (I think). It sure is stiff. Any comments on how to loosen it up? As soon as it is greased, and easier to work, it is ready to be bolted back on.

Whew! I said, "WHEW"! Hit the lake at 4pm, hot and sweatin' like a man. (yuk) :sick:

As we say in Texas, "I'm gonna have to holler calf rope, for today". This ole' gal is tired. Headed for a cool shower and some relaxation. :wink:
7.1.2015 b.jpg7.1.2015 c.jpg

Spot light on (needs to be tighten down). Another coat of urethane on seats. Small SS bolts and nuts in holes where front cleats go. (They are missing. I will replace, when I find the exact ones.) Center back compartment primed.

Did not get steering wheel bolted on today. Had to call it quits and help hubby start getting ready for the holiday weekend. Mow, weed eat, wash picnic tables, etc....all that fun stuff when ya own lake property. :lol: Tomorrow, time to decorate Red, White & Blue! :USA1:
7.2.2015a.jpg7.2.2015c edited.jpg

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Well guys,

Hubby tested the horn for me again yesterday. It has a direct short, so obviously the wires on the inside are rusted/broken. I got it all put back together today. I will just mount it back on the bow, for now. Thanks again for the info Waterwaif. :)

Hubby was going to help me with the transom today but I couldn't. The ole' back is acting up, again. :x I guess I over worked it a little too much, too fast. Perhaps tomorrow. 8)

Some interesting reading here on the horn and a place to have it fixed if you're so inclined....

https://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=3507

GREAT JOB btw - LOVE the read and jealous of that 'ol girl - BEAUTIFUL BOAT! Love that you see the beauty and take the time to restore her so she's around for another good many years!

I know you call the boat, "Ms. Fifty-Six," but I just went through about eight pages of this thread and I keep finding myself thinking of her as

"The Lady of the Lake."

You're making her elegant and graceful, with polish (pun intended) and poise, much like her restoration owner. A Texas Lady...nothing quite like 'em.

(It'd look nice on the transom, too. justsayin')

:mrgreen:

ScouterJames said:
TexasLoneStar56 said:
Well guys,

Some interesting reading here on the horn and a place to have it fixed if you're so inclined....

https://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=3507

GREAT JOB btw - LOVE the read and jealous of that 'ol girl - BEAUTIFUL BOAT! Love that you see the beauty and take the time to restore her so she's around for another good many years!

Thank you, Sir. I appreciate the info on the horn, and most certainly appreciate your comments. Glad you are enjoying the thread. :D

Kismet said:
I know you call the boat, "Ms. Fifty-Six," but I just went through about eight pages of this thread and I keep finding myself thinking of her as

"The Lady of the Lake."

You're making her elegant and graceful, with polish (pun intended) and poise, much like her restoration owner. A Texas Lady...nothing quite like 'em.

(It'd look nice on the transom, too. justsayin')

:mrgreen:

As always Kismet, ever so kind. Thank you. :D

Her name was voted on by our family. Several names where tossed in the hat (so to speak). I like "Lady of the Lake"! Graceful it is. Thank you for thinking of her.

We have discussed putting her name on the back. I am not sure how much room there will be once the motor is mounted back on. We'll just have to take a look at it. Hubby wants to have custom decals made for her sides that say, "Miss Fifty-Six", in script. I like that idea as well.

Again, Much Appreciation! :D
M

huntinfool said:
Still looking good.
You're making progress, won't be much longer and she'll be ready for a float test.

:D

I did get her steering wheel on Friday, and her front dash is clamped on. I will bolt it on today. The seats are "ok", for now. I used the plywood that our son-in-law brought to me. I am very appreciative to him for that. Somehow, they just don't look right. The seats need to be a solid board. Our good friend (the cabinet builder) is going to look in their "trash pile" today and see what he can find. But for now, at least she has the two back seats. No backs on them, just the seat.

I've had her controls all apart and cleaned them, but they are stiff. I've got to figure out somehow to oil/grease. The old black rubber on them is rotten and falling off. :?

AND, a cap for the transom. #-o Not sure how to do that, but had a friend stop by over the weekend that owns a machine shop. I hope his quote isn't too pricey.

Thanks again for your comments and your support. :D
M

Several people stopped by over the weekend to just take a look at her. I've gotta tell ya fellas, made me feel so very proud. Hubby seemed excited that she is an eye catcher. I've also got to tell ya, Hubby has helped me more with her in the past week than ever before. [-o< He asked me how much a windshield was. :shock: I've known all along that I would have to order her one, at around $400. OUCH! I'm glad he didn't repeat his words of, "She's your money pit". Actually, all he said was, "Well, she is going to need one to make her complete." :wink: He even suggested we ride over to some dealerships and see what's in their bone yard in the way of brackets. I know the old windshields will be dull, cracked and scratched. But maybe, just maybe we can find one that will work. :?: Fingers crossed, and prayers! [-o<

I'll take a few more pics today and post later.
M

Michelle
Sounding real good!
It sounds like your Hubby is getting anxious to splash her.
Keep up the good work, Can't wait to hear the Splash!

Steve A W

Inside aluminum plate; outside aluminum plate and transom cap. All out of scrap from the boys river barge build. :D I am very appreciative to one of their friends (another one of my "kids") that cut it and bent it. [-o<

I know I will have to maneuver and bend the cap at the corners, and possibly even cut it to make those curves. We'll see what happens. The plates are of a heavier gauge than the cap.

I'm going to try an old trick of using lipstick and/or wet fingernail polish to mark the holes that are already in the back of transom. I think polish will work best. While still wet, press the plate into place; remove quickly. The polish should mark exactly where you want to drill your holes. Lipstick will do the same. :mrgreen: If not, I'll have to drill from the outside thru the wood, clamp the plate and then drill from the wood side out to get thru the plate. Either way, I want to go back in the same old holes.

A few pics I took this evening.......
7.7.2015e.jpg7.7.2015a.jpg7.7.2015c.jpg

Looking back at my pics, I noticed the old wooden stool up under the back of the boat. Hubby put it there for me so I didn't have to "ride it down" again. :LOL2: It works! Stabilizes it for me so I can get in the back and work.

I can't help but wonder what is going to happen when her motor is mounted back on. :?: Is she going to try to rare up? :shock: Guess we will find out pretty soon.

Note:
Remember the seats are temporary until I can get solid boards. :wink:

Latest posts