Lowrance X-4

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My wife got me the Lowrance X-4 for my Tracker 1648 project. I wasn't even planning on installing a FF since I will be fishing for catfish, smallmouth and muskies in the mostly shallow upper Potomac river. This boat will also be primarily a waterfowl hunting boat so a FF isn't really needed during hunting season. But the X-4 seems like a decent little unit for my needs. After removing it from the box, I don't see any sort of a mounting bracket. There is just the base that you see in the picture linked below.

https://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder/X4-Fishfinder-en-us.aspx

Is there a trick to mounting the head unit out of the box? Or am I going to be needing some sort of mounting bracket?

Also not sure the best way to mount the transducer. I've never had a FF before, so this is all new to me. I see some guys use a plastic cutting board between the transducer that the transom. Why not just install it directley to the transom? Also, whats the best way to run the transducer wires? Straight through the transom with some 5200 to seal, or up and over the transom to avoid any additional transom holes?

Thanks!!

I believe the cutting board is used to reduce the number of holes through the hull if you need to repostion the transducer. It would also be handy if you wanted to remove the transponder when you were not using it. There is also a portable suction cup mounting bracket but it tends to come loose at high speeds. Squeeze in on the two buttons on the back of the ff head to remove it and screw the mounting bracke down to something, even if what you fasten it to is not a permanent part of the boat. I think most people run the wires up over the transom of the boat so they don't have to go through the hull below the water line.

If you know where you want it and you are not going to remove the bracket for the transponder, you can fasten it directly to the transom. I have found that the best position for the transponder is so the seam around the center of the transponder is level with the bottom of the boat. Your documentation does a good job of showing you how to locate the transponder.

The cool thing about that unit is you can put the voltage of the trolling motor battery up on the screen. Also the transducer can be used with my other fishfinder/gps combo from my big boat if I want to go trolling (not all Lowrance/Eagle units use the same transducer however).

I could not bring myself to drill holes in my 1956 aluminum boat which does not leak, so I mounted it on a piece of wood (1x2 maybe?) and used a c-clamp to attach it to the transom.

I depth finder is a tool that no fisherman should be without. you will be able to locate the drop offs and submerged structure that will hold both catfish and small mouths the cutting board will allow you to move the ducer around with out drilling extra holes until you find the sweet spot for it.
It looks like the base can be drilled into place for mounting. again you may want to mount it on a board and clamp the board in place until you find the best location for it

Thanks for the responses. The base is just weird, sort of hollow. I wasn't quite sure if I needed something additional to mount it.

Didn't realize you could see TM voltage on this unit. How does that work? Would it have to be hooked up to the same battery as the TM? If so, won't that cause interference?

All hull ext mount transducers are designed for failure- sell that transducer on craigslist or ebay and order the "puck" that mounts under the trolling motor, it will never break, and the screen will be up front where you need it.

I have had many different sounding units- I'm done mounting transducers to the outside of the hull- all you are doing is setting yourself up to be pissed off- oh, and drilling holes in your hull- sell that one for $30 or so- yes- they are $60 new- sell it, use part of the money to buy the correct puck mount that you should be able to opt for new.

I have a second one that someone accidentally bought me two of, but I don't know what kind of connector yours uses. Mine is for Eagle 300/400 Fish Mark- but there is no difference, Eagle/Lowrance- same product.

(No- I am not suggesting the trolling motor adapter for the tranny that you have there- that will fail/break your eehhhh, third trip out.)

They all use the shottiest engineering they possibly can- and make no mistake- it is intentional, they want that $60 repair/ repeat business.

Lowrance PDT-WSU

I have never broken one- they are bulletproof.

I better see if Bass Pro will give me a store credit on this one I have- I believe you can get them delivered for roughly $50, regretting drilling holes in your hull is more expensive than the $20 difference in what you will get for your stock tranny vs the trolling motor mount puck style purchase.

Good luck to you- I run a small (alarm panel 12volt, 70 amp hour) independent battery for my Eagle up front, the only thing on the battery is the FF, (or should I say air pocket finder.. They locate bottom, and air pockets.. "Fish finder" is not entirely accurate).

Brian B. said:
They all use the shottiest engineering they possibly can- and make no mistake- it is intentional, they want that $60 repair/ repeat business.

I believe if this was a known fact, Id buy something other than Lowrance. I do have to say though that I have never had an issue with a transducer be it transom mount or trolling motor mount. The last several units I have purchased have all been Humminbirds. They have an exchange program that will let you exchange the transom mount trasducer that comes with the unit for any kind of transducer you want free of charge. I have traded twice for trolling motor puck style units and it didnt cost me anything. You just send the new uninstalled transducer back to them and they will ship the one you want back. I opted to keep the transom mount this time, well see how it goes.

It's gonna go "crack".

It's not a "Lowrance" problem- it's an industry design- but never mind- its wasted breath.

Tinboats- jon boats, jon boats usually means rough water where you typically wouldn't take a glass boat. Rough conditions (brush, boulders, you name it- they are all tougher than your plastic transducer arm) equals the eventual out come of a broken plastic transducer. (And holes you never should have drilled in your hull)

(I'm sure yours won't break though ;) )

Brian B. said:
It's gonna go "crack".

It's not a "Lowrance" problem- it's an industry design- but never mind- its wasted breath.

Tinboats- jon boats, jon boats usually means rough water where you typically wouldn't take a glass boat. Rough conditions (brush, boulders, you name it- they are all tougher than your plastic transducer arm) equals the eventual out come of a broken plastic transducer. (And holes you never should have drilled in your hull)

(I'm sure yours won't break though ;) )
I get what your saying and I agree they probably shouldnt be made of plastic, I'm just saying your idea they they are intentionally designed to break so you have to spend more money is bogus. You can go to the Humminbird website yourself and read about thier exchange program.

I'm sure mine wont break either. I dont run WOT through stump fields and I dont fish in 6" deep water.

the puck style arent bullet proof I have had several that have broken over the years
it happens often lf you search for a repair for that style you will find one it uses pvc tubing

Hey guys- go ahead- mount them up. (60 mph in stump fields- what are you talking about?... And I often fish 6" water, you go through the shallow stuff to get to water where "Bubba" won't... And that's where they get broken..)

Mount it up. Do us the favor too of letting us know how long it lasts.

Fish a lake and dock your boat- it may very well last a long time(and then eventually snap). Use a jon the way a jon is intended to be used it is going to break. Break by design.

How did you break your puck trolling motor mount? I can't see how that is possible. You break the wire or the mount? (Several broken? Hmm.. I struggle with that one) I suspect you think you know what I am referring to, but don't.. You broke the one I posted the part # for? Yes, they are in fact quite bulletproof.

Yep- I'm that guy, we can do this all day. Plastic trandsucers are engineered for failure. I am posting my experience- keep up with yours as well- I am trying to assist the OP. Now if he has the option of exchanging for the Hummingbird and utilizing that program that would be awesome. But make no mistake- the LEI Tranny provided will more than likely break. As will the plastic Hummingbird transom mount transducer. -they are PLASTIC.. -they are unprotected.. It's just that simple.

I'll make it easy your right you never make any wrong suggestion everyone here is stupid and we are all smaeter since you joined the site
thank you for correcting me on these things.
and for the record yes the part you listed has broken the small etrap section where the hose clamp goes through is NOT bullet proof
but i know yours hasn't yet because your THAT much smarter than us

redbug said:
I'll make it easy your right you never make any wrong suggestion everyone here is stupid and we are all smaeter since you joined the site
thank you for correcting me on these things.
and for the record yes the part you listed has broken the small etrap section where the hose clamp goes through is NOT bullet proof
but i know yours hasn't yet because your THAT much smarter than us

Red, buddy.. You have boken the part I listed "several" (to use your words) times?- how is that possible? The skeg takes all the abuse..

-Original post-, "fishing the mainly shallow Potomac"... "And bird hunting"..(IE backing into brush up close to the bank.. "Snap"- especially brittle in cold duck hunting conditions)

Ask Momma if she minds you exchanging for the Hummingbird unit- that exchange program sounds reasonable..

Brian B. said:
Do us the favor too of letting us know how long it lasts.

I allready did. Check the second sentence of my first post in this thread.

Who are you to call redbug out on facts when you have posted nothing but your opinion? Where are your facts that prove transducers are engineered for failure for the purpose of getting one to spend more money? If they were designed to fail for that purpose why would they have an exchange program that allows you to exchange for the design you are saying is bullet proof at NO COST!?!

For the record, my transom mount tranducer is also designed to flip up when you hit something to keep from breaking it.

BassBlaster said:
Brian B. said:
Do us the favor too of letting us know how long it lasts.

I allready did. Check the second sentence of my first post in this thread.

Who are you to call redbug out on facts when you have posted nothing but your opinion? Where are your facts that prove transducers are engineered for failure for the purpose of getting one to spend more money? If they were designed to fail for that purpose why would they have an exchange program that allows you to exchange for the design you are saying is bullet proof at NO COST!?!

For the record, my transom mount tranducer is also designed to flip up when you hit something to keep from breaking it.

Designed to flip up when you hit something with it- oh I'm rolling now.. Yeah- that feature works greeeat! It flips up alright! Flips up ito more than one piece. The let us know how long it lasts was for the OP, I'm sure in shallow water and duck hunting around brush it will last for seasons to come.

As I said before, wasted words. "Will flip up if you hit something.." That is classic. Yes, yes... I will agree with you, they do in fact advertise that feature.

Brian i mean oh great one!!! yes the one you listed has bee broken several times at the weak point.
but I'm sure you will again doubt that i understand anything that goes against the word of Brian..
This site has been here for several years and we have had people come i with the I know EVERYTHING tude I guess we have another one..

Red you are making a fool of yourself- I am done responding to your childish nonsense.

Near I can figure you are a "Big" O supporter and my signature got your "we are the 99%" shirt all balled up on you.

I am done with you and your nonsense. Read the original post- a hull mount plastic transducer is a bad idea for what he is intending to do with his boat.

"Yes we can, yes we can, yes we can,..."

Thanks for the, errrr, responses??

For the record, I'm not going to be trading this unit or the transducer in. Or selling it for a puck style transducer. Sure there is a chance it can/will get hit by a rock or stump, but so will my jet foot. And I'm not going to be selling that off to get a UHMW foot either.

I was just wondering how exactly the unit mounts, since I've never installed one before. The base looked like it needed some sort of additional piece to mount. Thanks for the answers.

Carry on.....