Lures I'm dying to throw

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanMouth

Reaction score
I love crankbaits ang jigs, but since starting my jon boat conversion, having a new trolling motor and fish finder will hopefully take my fishing to another level.

With less than a month to go until all the lakes open around here, I just wanted to start a thread with our most anticipated lures for 2010. Of course I had to add KVD's Red Eye Shad, but I'm really excited for the Buckeye Mop Jigs with matching trailers.

I took a couple pics for anyone looking for closer photos. I think it would be cool if everyone posted a pic or two; let's see what you're dying to throw!

1.png

2.png

Troutman3000 said:
Whats the best way to fish a jig?????

drag it slowly on the bottom... you can hop it back to you with short taps of your rod... swim it... there is no wrong way to fish a jig. It's one of the most versatile baits in my box, and what I throw probably 80% of the time I'm fishing.

I have a methodology I use when fishing jigs. If the lake's main forage is crawfish, I keep it on the bottom and will start off by casting it out, putting it on the bottom and letting it sit there for half a minute or so. Then I start barely turning the reel bring it back to me. This represents 2 forages, crawfish and dying shad.

I'll fish it like a worm. Cast it out, sink to the bottom and again let it sit there. Then I'll keep my rod around the 10 o'clock position and then give 1-3 brief pops of the rod to keep the bait in about a 2' diameter but popping the rod pops it off the bottom. The harder the pop, the higher it jumps - but it also moves a lot more.

The only time I swim it is when I'm getting hit on crankbaits. I'll cast it out, and count it down to the depth I think the fish are holding at. I generally throw white or greens when doing this. A 1/4-1/2oz jig will fall about 1' per second depending on the size of the trailer you are using.

Here in GA though, I can tell you that 9 times out of 10 I'll be dragging that thing painstakingly across the bottom...

but back to the main topic... here is what is on my rods right now

Rapala Rattlin Rap

rapala_rattlin_rap.jpg

Zoom Brush Hogs

baby-brush-hog-camo.jpg

Great job on the mop jigs MeanMouth...I like it alot.

Here is what I can't wait to throw...should only be about 2 more weeks.

BAYUMYMH3.jpg

Troutman3000 said:
russ010 said:
but back to the main topic... here is what is on my rods right now

Rapala Rattlin Rap

rapala_rattlin_rap.jpg

Zoom Brush Hogs

baby-brush-hog-camo.jpg

Do you fish that zoom brush hog the same way as a jig?

yea pretty much.. If I'm pitching into grass or trees, I'll put a 1/2oz weight ahead of it. Sometimes I'll put a bead on both sides of the weight.

Truckmechanic said:
Great job on the mop jigs MeanMouth...I like it alot.

Here is what I can't wait to throw...should only be about 2 more weeks.

BAYUMYMH3.jpg
Nice, that's the YUM Money Hound right? I was looking at that particular lure, but went with the Zara Spook. Both lures would be a great addition to anyones topwater collection, especially for walking the dog.

YUM Money Hound
- Soft bait
- Has belly slit for better hookups
- Can be rigged Texas style for weedless action
s7_124878_939_01

Zara Spook
- Hard bait
- Not weedless (3 treble hooks)
- Will outlast soft baits
s7_110414_003_01

Truck, nice choice on the YUM Money Hound. I'm eager to find out how you like it. Update this thread after you get a chance to try it out!

I will let you know how it turns out...I normally like to use LC Sammy for topwater, I found these and they are a lot cheaper :lol:

This year I'm oly throwing big stuff for Bass.

Im Pitching/flipping/skipping various Jigs this year allot. I am determined to master this technique.
football%7E0.jpg

Black.jpg

I am going to try the 10 inch JDBaits Ribbon tail. https://www.jdbaits.com/products.htm
10InchRibbonTail.png

Lastly I'm going to throw some various frogs: Spro, 3:16, and JDBaits

Spro_Bronzeye_black_370_BASSPRO.jpg

green3.jpg

JDFrog2.png

I say this every year though, and I always go back to my reliable Stick baits. :LOL2:

I seen these at local fishing expo and really like the way they look:

Vertical Lures Tube X

TubeX2.jpg

Also the Vertical Lures Creature X

CreatureAllWeb.jpg

Also the Vertical Lures Jig X

SlingXPath.jpg

^^^ the jig x is awesome because it has a sling that hold the chunk on the hook. the sling also has a place to attache rattles

I use a lot of the Vertical Lures stuff - and it does perform well.

I like their Chunk X sling... I use them on all of my jigs, not just the JigX. One thing with their jigs, the eye is recessed in the head and it is a beast to tie when your out on the water and your hands are frozen. That's the only downfall for me to that jig - but dang if it won't catch'em!

russ010 said:
I use a lot of the Vertical Lures stuff - and it does perform well.

I like their Chunk X sling... I use them on all of my jigs, not just the JigX. One thing with their jigs, the eye is recessed in the head and it is a beast to tie when your out on the water and your hands are frozen. That's the only downfall for me to that jig - but dang if it won't catch'em!

I was just real impressed with thier product! There is a how to for the knot they suggest on thier website btw for the jig...

https://verticallures.com/uploads/TieJigX/TieKnot.asp

Yea... that's the knot I tie. Just try doing it when your fingers are frozen and can barely move!

russ010 said:
Yea... that's the knot I tie. Just try doing it when your fingers are frozen and can barely move!

haha, i know what you mean. Im not really a jig fisherman, cant ever seem to get bit with one. I do want to try the tubes for my smallmouth fishing though!

The Spro Little John, I have already been throwing and catching with this one. I am hoping to get some money up to get a few of BYOB's computer billed bad boys also.
SLJ50PGP-2.jpg

I really want to try a laserlure, but there expensive and I'm not sure there going to work.

Attachments

• laserlure.jpg
    laserlure.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 355
ericshayes said:
I really want to try a laserlure, but there expensive and I'm not sure there going to work.

don't waste your money... If you really want some, PM me your address and I'll send you the 2 I've got that aren't worth a flip. I think I know where they are anyways...

Latest posts