My newest jet problem---UPDATE---

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say your jet cavitates, do you mean that your motor reves higher & you have to let off the throttle?If that's the case than I would say its in your jet but if you can hold the throttle wide open & it doesn't over rev than I would say a motor problem if it's cavitating. :?:

Good News!!!!
I decided to take the time to call the folks at Troutt and Sons today. I was half way through describing the problem when Joe interrupted to tell me the solution. Great service and I want to publicly acknowledge them for the help. Joe told me the problem sounds like it is in the power head, and it most likely dealt with the electronic rev limiter. From what I understand, when I go full throttle (which is both when I hammer down to get on plane, and when I am running wide open), the engine is pushing too many RPM's which is causing it to hit the rev limiter. This is what the cavitation-like noise is. In order to fix it, Joe told me I can easily unplug the rev limiter. Now I pose my questions to yall....

How does this whole rev limiter thing work, I don't full understand how it works within the motor?
And secondly, wouldn't removing the rev limiter be bad for my motor?

I truly believe this is the problem, and I hope I can do the work and run the boat this weekend to test it out. Any further help is greatly appreciated. I am also posting this on the motors section to see if it drums up any excitement over there.

The way I understand them,they are there to keep you from over-revving the engine if the prop or impeller come out of the water.If you aren't sure of unplugging it,you may be able to adjust the throttle stop screw to keep the rpm level low enough to not hit the rev limiter. Me personally,the throttle stop screw would be the way to go.I don't like to disconnect factory installed equipment,they put it there for a reason. That's my take. Joe knows his stuff though.

Most rev limiters alternatley/randomly keep spark from firing at the plugs in he cylinders. Aint hurting anything while it is doing that. I wouldn't go unpluggin that unless you are real confident and quick in your throttle control in case that thing decides to rev up on ya when you least expect it.

It is hurting my engine performance, because the rev limiter is stopping my motor from exceeding 4000 rpm's. My motor doesn't even plane till 4500 rpm's, and when I run full throttle it is right around 5700 rpm's. So leaving it connected is really negatively affecting the boat. If I run the boat only a quarter throttle, you are correct, it isn't affecting the motor, but I don't want to run my JET boat at half throttle, cause it defeats the purpose the jet = running shallow.

But I am aware that there is nothing stopping my engine from over reving now, so I have to take it easy and use self control until I can get a new rev limiter. The solution to the problem is found, as without the rev limiter it never makes the skipping noise, plus I can get on plane quickly and easily, and run at full throttle. But I won't be able to fully fix it, until I can order the new one.

Glad to here that your dilema is figured out. Somewhere,I missed the fact that you could only get 4000rpm before the limiter kicked in. Like I said though, Joe Troutt does know what he's talking about.That's why I went to him when it was time to buy my Jet.

S&MFISH said:
Glad to here that your dilema is figured out. Somewhere,I missed the fact that you could only get 4000rpm before the limiter kicked in. Like I said though, Joe Troutt does know what he's talking about.That's why I went to him when it was time to buy my Jet.

+1 :LOL2: