Need some advice 12' Sears Game Fisher Aluminum V Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BR9TT

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! My name is Brett and I just got my first boat a 1979 Sears game Fisher 12'. I've been looking around on here and there are some great boats. I'm looking to do a few mods and would really like to get some feed back and advice. So far the only thing I have done is cleaned and painted the interior of the boat with non slip marine paint. I would like to add wood to the seats and add a piece of wood to where the engine mounts. I was thinking of trying to create a little storage compartment using the very front tiny bench but not sure how to do it. Also I want to add a battery operated light setup in case I am operating at dusk, I was hoping to avoid having wires strung across the boat . The last thing I want to do is find a small Bimini to create a little shade for those hot Florida days. Thanks in advanced, I look forward to talking with you all.

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_20151220_081447.jpg
    IMG_20151220_081447.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMAG1760.jpg
    IMAG1760.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,155
That looks good! What paint and prep did you use? I use a Bimini in Arizona. There are local companies that can bend up just about anything you want that are not that expensive. The mounting hardware is where you want to pay attention or you wind up with cheap nylon mounts. The other thing to consider is where it will lay when folded. A few inches either way can make the difference between being able to still use the boat or not when it's folded down. Used ones pop up on Craigslist. Width is the main measurement but know your floor to gunnel height as well so you can stand up.

Thanks, I used pettit easypoxy color ocean blue. For prep work I started by cleaning of the mold and dirt, did a few different grits of sand paper then rinsed all the dust off and made sure to wipe it down several times, and added some non slip stuff to the paint . It will probably need one more can of paint to touch up some spots. I was thinking of mounting the Bimini so that when folded down it will be on the back of the boat just need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the handle. Would you recommend getting a Bimini that will allow me to stand up under it?

They make clamp-on lights marker that run on batteries - available pretty much everywhere you can buy boat lights - should be a simple wire-free solution.

Lower and wider... But I can understand wanting to stand. Understand the taller bimini cost more $

Sent from the dust in front of you!

This item is probably what OnTheWater was referring to...

https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Bi-Color-Light-Clamp-/dp/B004UOPVEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451668067&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+operated+bow+lights+boat

81IV3x--QcL._SY450_.jpg

Can anyone point me in the right direction for adding some wood to the benches .

Don't use treated lumber.

Not sure why you want to add weight. If you must, use as thin exterior plywood as you can find. The X in the plywood designation means it was made with exterior glue I.e. BCX .

Round the edges with a router or heavy sanding. Paint with exterior latex or oil.

richg99

Here is an update to my boat got some seats from bass pro shop and finished the non slip paint. Got a 3HP Sears game Fisher I'm going to add. I am in love with how clean this thing has come out. They only thing I'm considering adding is a little Bimini does anyone know of a durable one or good brand to go with?

Attachments

• IMAG0432_1.jpg
    IMAG0432_1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,556
Very nice cleanup. One suggestion. I have clamp-on seats and been using them for years. I like them, but they tend to slip if the clamps are not secured to the bench. I can't really tell from your pic if you have tied them down. If not, do so to avoid any mishaps.
Thanks for sharing and enjoy!